Using the AVR and Audio type selection

M

Mrsash

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,

I have a Denon AVR-X1500H and Wharfedale DX-1 HCP 5.1 and 2 Pioneer Atmos speakers.

Firstly a question regarding how audio goes through an AMP. Does the AVR automatically identify and output the audio based on speakers connected accordingly or does this need to be set manually? I want all 7 speakers and Sub to be used if I am watching a movie say with 7.1 channels. I am unsure if I am using it right. Also most Youtube video seems to be Stereo and I find if I set it to virtual surround I am comfortable so what I am asking is if I leave it in virtual surround am I doing myself disservice if I am watching a 7.1 movie?

Secondly I have noticed only some movie sequences makes my Sub make a really weird noise. I was watching the latest Star Wars movie in x264 format with 7.1 sound and at the point where all the enemy ship rise out of the ground in the first 10 minutes of the movie exactly at that point it made this sound which made me turn the dam thing off. The settings on the back of the Sub not sure apart from Volume what the rest do....

Volume
Crossover
Auto Sense 0 - 180 Degrees
On Off Not sure what this is

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
For starters, 7.1 is not the same as Atmos. 7.1 means you have surround speakers to the sides of the seating and behind the seating. Atmos means you have two surrounds at the sides or back, and two speakers in the ceiling (or four in some installations).

You didn’t give any details as to how your seven speakers are set up so I can’t advise further. I assume the AVR would have to be configured for either 7.1 or Atmos in its menus.

I also don’t know what your source for Yuutube videos is, but AFAIK you can only get 7.1 or Atmos from a blu-ray disc that was produced for 7.1 or Atmos, connected via HDMI to the AVR.

As for the sub, it only took a second to find this review on your speaker system. Their only complaints were that the sub wasn’t up to snuff. So, it’s probably being over-driven, and that’s why it’s making the strange noises you’re hearing.

The Autosense On-Off switch enables the sub to come on automatically when it gets a signal. It also turns the sub off if it idles for a period of time.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Guys,

I have a Denon AVR-X1500H and Wharfedale DX-1 HCP 5.1 and 2 Pioneer Atmos speakers.

Firstly a question regarding how audio goes through an AMP. Does the AVR automatically identify and output the audio based on speakers connected accordingly or does this need to be set manually?
The AVR does not know if your speakers are configured for a 7.1 (non Atmos), or 5.1.2 (Atmos) so you have to set it up manually in the Assign Mode menu. Note: You should run Audyssey setup, and in that case you may not have to do it manually, but just follow the onscreen instructions during the Audyssey setup process.

Below is from the Owner's manual page 179:

1585837070418.png

so what I am asking is if I leave it in virtual surround am I doing myself disservice if I am watching a 7.1 movie?
If the movie you play is coded for Atmos, the AVR will know and you don't need to intervene. If not, then you can select the virtual mode that you prefer.

Secondly I have noticed only some movie sequences makes my Sub make a really weird noise. I was watching the latest Star Wars movie in x264 format with 7.1 sound and at the point where all the enemy ship rise out of the ground in the first 10 minutes of the movie exactly at that point it made this sound which made me turn the dam thing off. The settings on the back of the Sub not sure apart from Volume what the rest do....

Volume
Crossover
Auto Sense 0 - 180 Degrees
On Off Not sure what this is
For the sub controls, I suggest you do the following:

1. Set volume to about 1/4 to 1/3 of maximum. Note: Owner's manual says 1/2, but that most often would end up being too much and the subwoofer may be over driven.
2. Turn the crossover knob on the subwoofer to maxium.
3. Set the phase to 0 degree.
4. Set auto sense to "On".

After that, run Audyssey setup, follow instructions to the letter. During the first few steps it should ask you to set up your speaker configuration (such as dolby Atmos selections). If it does then you don't have to do it manually later.

M

Mrsash

Audiophyte
The AVR does not know if your speakers are configured for a 7.1 (non Atmos), or 5.1.2 (Atmos) so you have to set it up manually in the Assign Mode menu. Note: You should run Audyssey setup, and in that case you may not have to do it manually, but just follow the onscreen instructions during the Audyssey setup process.

Below is from the Owner's manual page 179:

View attachment 35062

If the movie you play is coded for Atmos, the AVR will know and you don't need to intervene. If not, then you can select the virtual mode that you prefer.

For the sub controls, I suggest you do the following:

1. Set volume to about 1/4 to 1/3 of maximum. Note: Owner's manual says 1/2, but that most often would end up being too much and the subwoofer may be over driven.
2. Turn the crossover knob on the subwoofer to maxium.
3. Set the phase to 0 degree.
4. Set auto sense to "On".

After that, run Audyssey setup, follow instructions to the letter. During the first few steps it should ask you to set up your speaker configuration (such as dolby Atmos selections). If it does then you don't have to do it manually later.
Sorry I was playing with my settings while your post came through. I did run the Audyssey setup and assign the speakers correctly. I think may be I have set the volume on the Sub too loud. So will reduce that and follow the rest of your recommendations

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, if the sub sounded like a sledge hammer hitting a steel pylon you are experiencing clipping caused driving the sub at too high a volume.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis