Using the affordable AVR-X3400H for Two Channel Stereo

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking it was a RoomEQ improvement from the use of the app along with XT32.
It doesn't seem like improving the distortion from 0.01% (even if you totally eliminated it) would yield an audible benefit.
Are you saying that this may reflect a trend and there may be other improvements which are audible?
You are right, and I know I have been contradicting myself. I do believe the XT32/App thing did the audible part of the magic, whereas the distortion graphs, SNR, DACs etc., provided the psychological side effects. Like when I was using jRiver's parametric EQ, but more so now with Audyssey, I can visualize the positions of the musical instruments a lot better, and in more consistent way. In fact, I have no doubt I could have done better when I was experimenting with REW/minidsp last year, if I had EQ left and right individually.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That explains it. Did you get the 4400 from BB or Gibbys? (My local BB never had it in stock.) Please become extremely proficient on the 4400 and the App as I'll need an expert soon. :D
Hey Jim, have you setup your 4400 yet? I am planning on doing that today, got quite depressed thinking of the wire jungle back there.:( but is excited at the same time to be able to finally hook up the PS4 pro to the receiver instead of to the TV.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking it was a RoomEQ improvement from the use of the app along with XT32.
It doesn't seem like improving the distortion from 0.01% (even if you totally eliminated it) would yield an audible benefit.
Are you saying that this may reflect a trend and there may be other improvements which are audible?
With the app I can AB compare audyssey ref, flat and off more easily and the time for the change to take effect seems quicker. there is no doubt Audyssey reference sounds better to me, and the difference is obvious enough that I am sure I can pass a DBT.

The better THD vs output is just a visual bonus, and I don't believe it would translate into audible benefits because even 0.1% THD is generally not considered an issue. S&V hasn't reviewed any recent D&M models, other than the 2016 SR7011 and the 2017 AVR-X3400H, so I wouldn't say there is a trend for lower THD as such.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hey Jim, have you setup your 4400 yet? I am planning on doing that today, got quite depressed thinking of the wire jungle back there.:( but is excited at the same time to be able to finally hook up the PS4 pro to the receiver instead of to the TV.
I was shocked when Gibbys didn't send me any Tracking Information after I paid the invoice, but I decided I was just too busy at work during the day to find out what's up, and waited until Wednesday when it was supposed to show up before I finally called them.

It turns out the Salesman was too optimistic on the delivery date (WTF?), so I stayed home all day for nothing. Their courier didn't try to delivery it until Friday late afternoon when I was away for a long planned business meeting. Their courier, Canpar, simply say they'll be there anytime from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm. I waited until I had to leave, just after 11:00 and missed them by about 35 minutes when I got home.

I got hold of the Canpar Customer Service, because the notice they left said I could pick it up the next business day, which would be Monday (Grrrr...), and I would find out where from using their Website Tracking Service. The short version is, I was able to pick it up after dinner at their agent in a nearby city.

But as it was after 8:00 when I got it home, I examined the Box and the damage was very minimal and the factory seal was still in place. So I carefully unpacked it, and notice the styrofoam brace supporting the front of 4400 had cracked in a couple spots so I took some backup photos with my phone before taking it out of the box. My first pass at the unit was I couldn't see a mark on it. I read the Quick Start Manual (not much new there when you already have 2 Denon Receivers.) but decided I was too tired to tackle installing it last night. Today we were solidly booked all day, and after dinner I wanted to watch a CFL football game with the local BC Lions playing (They stunk.)

So the bottom line is I'm planning to do it tomorrow. I anticipated making this change when I wired the games room during the renovation, so it should be reasonable straight forward, as I installed Banana Plugs and labeled all the speaker runs. The Audyssey Calibration will take a little time. I still need to download the App so I can save the setups.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was shocked when Gibbys didn't send me any Tracking Information after I paid the invoice, but I decided I was just too busy at work during the day to find out what's up, and waited until Wednesday when it was supposed to show up before I finally called them.

It turns out the Salesman was too optimistic on the delivery date (WTF?), so I stayed home all day for nothing. Their courier didn't try to delivery it until Friday late afternoon when I was away for a long planned business meeting. Their courier, Canpar, simply say they'll be there anytime from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm. I waited until I had to leave, just after 11:00 and missed them by about 35 minutes when I got home.

I got hold of the Canpar Customer Service, because the notice they left said I could pick it up the next business day, which would be Monday (Grrrr...), and I would find out where from using their Website Tracking Service. The short version is, I was able to pick it up after dinner at their agent in a nearby city.

But as it was after 8:00 when I got it home, I examined the Box and the damage was very minimal and the factory seal was still in place. So I carefully unpacked it, and notice the styrofoam brace supporting the front of 4400 had cracked in a couple spots so I took some backup photos with my phone before taking it out of the box. My first pass at the unit was I couldn't see a mark on it. I read the Quick Start Manual (not much new there when you already have 2 Denon Receivers.) but decided I was too tired to tackle installing it last night. Today we were solidly booked all day, and after dinner I wanted to watch a CFL football game with the local BC Lions playing (They stunk.)

So the bottom line is I'm planning to do it tomorrow. I anticipated making this change when I wired the games room during the renovation, so it should be reasonable straight forward, as I installed Banana Plugs and labeled all the speaker runs. The Audyssey Calibration will take a little time. I still need to download the App so I can save the setups.
Thank you for the update, can't wait to compare notes. I like the unit so much that I started a new thread on it, and I should have titled it owners thread because I now know there are at least 3 to 4 owners who post frequently.

The App is highly recommended, it is easy to use just to run Audyssey calibrations, but quit labor intensive to use for reshaping the curve. That is understandable because that is the nature of even simple manual EQ, lots of trial and error involved, let alone auto EQ that has to take care of gains, (+/1), Q, Phase/time etc., behind the scene, plus the effects between 7 channels and two subs on each other. I have it basically "dialed in" without any editing yet, but did use one of the sub's PEQ to help tame one dip at around 70 Hz. It actually sounds good now and the curve looks decent so I am going to take my time doing listening tests, before I do any editing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis