Using receiver or amp and speakers with computer?

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Is anyone here using an amp or receiver with non-powered speakers as their computer speakers?

I am replacing my old AVR and have a pair of vintage (large-ish) bookshelf speakers that have been sitting in boxes unused for some time. I decided to hook up the speakers to the old AVR and connect my computer to the receiver through a USB audio interface I am currently using. It sounds very nice.

There are a few downsides that I can see. (1) this set up obviously takes up more space than a set of power speakers/monitors that would sit on my desk. These speakers are much too big for my desk and there is the added space for the receiver; (2) The receiver would have to stay on pretty much all day long. I am testing to see how much power it uses; and (3) at the moment the speakers are on small floor stands on the sides of my desk. This isn't ideal for listening when sitting at my desk, but I also have a chair set up in good listening position on the opposite wall, so I can sit and listen to music there.

I'm not sure yet if this setup makes sense or if I might just be better off buying something more specifically appropriate, but I'm curious if anyone else is doing something similar.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You list the disadvantages, but not the advantages of an AVR in this setup. The big advantages are bass management to allow for proper subwoofer integration, source selection, and a much wider selection of speaker options.

I personally have no problem with an AVR "on all day long", and even your powered speakers would be powered up for the same time, so consider that a wash.

You could wall mount the speakers. Look at some online pics of how small music production studios set up their monitors to conserve space.

I do have a setup in my man cave where my tower PC is integrated into my AVR for that room, but it is not a desktop type setup either.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Bass management is only useful if he intends to get a subwoofer.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
True. I wasn't really planning on a subwoofer.

The speakers I'm currently using are kind of on the large side for wall mounting (cabinets are round 19(H) x 12(W) x 10 (D)), but I could get some stands to raise them up and get them toward the back of my desk.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No sub? Whut? :)

Not having to use a desk any more, I don't. If I did, space for speakers that big I'd need a bigger desk than I generally used. Altho these days a lot of the paper part has likely disappeared freeing up some space I suppose. I'd still want them on stands off the desk surface myself, tho....

You could alleviate the space the avr takes up perhaps with a little mounting creativity or on the floor or just nearby and use a remote....but hard to know what your options there might be for remote or connectivity options (like wireless perhaps). I wouldn't worry about the standby energy between active speakers vs an avr, tho.....altho older stuff might have a higher standby use than newer stuff...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If he just listen to solo violin I really doubt he needs a subwoofer :D

Not having to use a desk any more, I don't. If I did, space for speakers that big I'd need a bigger desk than I generally used. Altho these days a lot of the paper part has likely disappeared freeing up some space I suppose. I'd still want them on stands off the desk surface myself, tho....
If he has the space he could just use something like the below with some attachments (what I use is taller because of camera above monitor). This is the way I've mounted camera, small monitor and light for video calls when working from home. He can then attach his speakers:

You could alleviate the space the avr takes up perhaps with a little mounting creativity or on the floor or just nearby and use a remote....but hard to know what your options there might be for remote or connectivity options (like wireless perhaps). I wouldn't worry about the standby energy between active speakers vs an avr, tho.....altho older stuff might have a higher standby use than newer stuff...
Perhaps just mount the AVR under the desk, with appropriate clearance for cooling, and assuming he has another way of controlling volume?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps just mount the AVR under the desk, with appropriate clearance for cooling, and assuming he has another way of controlling volume?
I was thinking even the back/side/footwell...depending on desk type.

ps Went back for the violin thing....you made me look!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
...ps Went back for the violin thing....you made me look!
I did the same when I read you SW comment thinking that perhaps I should improve my English reading comprehension even further :eek:

T

TechToys2

Audioholic

Ha... Sorry, that wasn't clear. No way those speakers are going on the desk. At the moment I have them on either side of the desk on small floor stands that provide a slight upward angle, but they are below ear level and top of th desk level. I would need taller stands to raise them above the desk and push them to the back of the desk toward the wall.

I'm probably just going to put the receiver under the desk. Since I have an audio interface for the computer (which also serves as a DAC) I can adjust volume from there, or if I am across the room a remote works fine. Things like Spotify I can stream and use my phone.

I've got a device that records power usage. I have the receiver plugged into it and so far it doesn't seem to be using too terribly much power ... not enough to be overly concerned about anyway. I'll see what it looks like after a couple of days.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did the same when I read you SW comment thinking that perhaps I should improve my English reading comprehension even further :eek:
I just always think sub, particularly for computer/bookshelf speakers.....and beyond!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only one sub? That is modest of you :)
Well, it is a desk so nearfield like that usually works well enough for a single sub :). When I did have speakers in use at a desk they were strictly background as business was being conducted in a group environment for most of my career....never had anything very high quality at the office accordingly. Mostly we had a small stereo system in use so everyone could listen a bit to the radio or maybe a cassette/cd....but being on the phones quite a bit meant low volume. Had more of a separated office in my last gig and did use a small Logitech active speaker/sub setup that was fine for me and my assistant....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it is a desk so nearfield like that usually works well enough for a single sub :). When I did have speakers in use at a desk they were strictly background as business was being conducted in a group environment for most of my career....never had anything very high quality at the office accordingly. Mostly we had a small stereo system in use so everyone could listen a bit to the radio or maybe a cassette/cd....but being on the phones quite a bit meant low volume. Had more of a separated office in my last gig and did use a small Logitech active speaker/sub setup that was fine for me and my assistant....
When I bought the two SVS SB-3000 the old SVS SB-12NSD was moved into my small office and the 80Hz crossover on the sub got quite handy :) Sadly, the xover is fixed, but far better than nothing.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
How much clearance do you think is needed? I have a little stand that I can put under my desk but it would leave only around 3 inches.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
How much clearance do you think is needed? I have a little stand that I can put under my desk but it would leave only around 3 inches.
A few inches is recommended, as long as it does not get too hot and the airflow is sufficient. Yeah, a weaselly answer, but hot electronics is up to no good if left unchecked.

I was thinking of hanging the AVR underneath the desk and thus freeing some leg space.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
A few inches is recommended, as long as it does not get too hot and the airflow is sufficient. Yeah, a weaselly answer, but hot electronics is up to no good if left unchecked.

I was thinking of hanging the AVR underneath the desk and thus freeing some leg space.
The desk has drawers on both sides so there really isn't a surface to attach a bracket to. Fortunately it's also pretty wide (63 inches) so even if I put the receiver on one side I should have a good bit of leg room.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The desk has drawers on both sides so there really isn't a surface to attach a bracket to. Fortunately it's also pretty wide (63 inches) so even if I put the receiver on one side I should have a good bit of leg room.
As for cooling, a silent fan or two could go a long way to keep your AVR cool enough. Noctua.at has a number of quiet fans of various sizes, and several of them are 5V PWM (USB power), which is very convention to power. Noctua also has a PWM controller that works with both 5V and 12V (but not at the same time). Available on Amazon.com and elsewhere.

Since this is a PC controlled sound playback your PC USB ports could power the Noctua fans. They are low power.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis