Using my Yamaha 2400 as a preamp.

L

LeadTrac

Audioholic Intern
Friday my two Outlaw 200 mono block amps arrived. I set up my system so the Outlaws push my mains. The center, surrounds and rear surrounds are pushed by my Adcom 7605 five channel amp. Now I use my Yamaha 2400 strictly as a preamp. The 2400 makes a very effective preamp. The Yamaha has a lot of clarity and detail, with the additional power, the sound has more punch, the soundstage seems wider and there is much more headroom.

R

Ricky

Enthusiast
You have done the right thing. With added power amps it always sounds better than the internal amps in the reciever. Happy listening!!!

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have the Yammie 1400. So with the yammie as Pre, you dont think we need to swap for a higher dollar Rotel, Etc to get the same effect?

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Also, I was telling a salesman that I had the 1400 as was thinking of using it as a pre. He asked me if it had preouts for each channel for the addition of an amp and I wasnt sure. I forgot to look last night, help anyone?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Rex said:
Also, I was telling a salesman that I had the 1400 as was thinking of using it as a pre. He asked me if it had preouts for each channel for the addition of an amp and I wasnt sure. I forgot to look last night, help anyone?

Yes, it does.

Shinerman

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Shinerman said:
Yes, it does.

Shinerman
Thanks, most of this stuff is a learning curve for me :confused: So with that said, the 1400 and if need be, and addition of an amp or two should suffice for most any speaker system I buy.

L

LeadTrac

Audioholic Intern
Using the Yammie as a preamp will work quite well and provide you with many hours of enjoyment, but I have heard it gets even better with a preamp. But this is an excellent way to get into separates and yes, there will be improved sound.

L

LeadTrac

Audioholic Intern
Hey REX

If you are talking to a sales rep and he does not know whether the Yamaha 1400 has preouts, in my opinion he does not have the depth of knowledge I would want from a salesperson. In other words if you have a thousand dollars on the table for a new piece of equipment, make sure the salesman knows his business.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
LeadTrac said:
Using the Yammie as a preamp will work quite well and provide you with many hours of enjoyment, but I have heard it gets even better with a preamp. But this is an excellent way to get into separates and yes, there will be improved sound.
Do you mean a setup with the Yammie, preamp, and amp? Why would a preamp be necessary instead of using the Yammie as such?

L

LeadTrac

Audioholic Intern
Currently I am using my Yamaha 2400 as a preamp, running it though an Adcom 7605 five channel amp and two Outlaw m-200 mono amps. At this time I do not need a preamp, however when I move my system to a dedicated room I want to keep the Yammie in the family room. At that point I will need to purchase a preamp.

I have also been told that while using a receiver as a preamp can improve overall system performance, buying a real preamp such a the Outlaw 950, Adcom GTP 880 or Rotel RSP 1068, will really make your system sing.

Last edited:
Rex

Rex

Audioholic
LeadTrac said:
Currently I am using my Yamaha 2400 as a preamp, running it though an Adcom 7605 five channel amp and two Outlaw m-200 mono amps. At this time I do not need a preamp, however when I move my system to a dedicated room I want to keep the Yammie in the family room. At that point I will need to purchase a preamp.

I have also been told that while using a receiver as a preamp can improve overall system performance, buying a real preamp such a the Outlaw 950, Adcom GTP 880 or Rotel RSP 1068, will really make you system sing.
I have aspirations of doing what you have done with your system. Im really impressed at the moment, that for the price, we have such expandability with all the preouts. If one were to buy a real Preamp, wouldnt that negate the DSP functions of the yammie that we love and cherish? Though at the moment, Im trying to find the (right) speakers. Cheers!

L

LeadTrac

Audioholic Intern
When I move my equipment to the new room the Yamaha will no longer be part of my main system, however it will be the heart of my secondary system. The secondary system will remain in the family room for every day use.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
When I move my equipment to the new room the Yamaha will no longer be part of my main system, however it will be the heart of my secondary system. The secondary system will remain in the family room for every day use.

You may find that moving to a entry level Pre Amp such as the Outlaw,Rotel
and Sherwood P-965 may yield a slight improvement with 2 channel and a major step backwards in terms of DSP for complex movie soundtracks The
The Yamaha 1400 and 2400 have some serious DSP processors on board and even more impressive proprietary algorithms associated with those DSP's
Yamaha has a high budget for R&D much higher than Outlaw Rotel and Sherwood combined
I would rather have a pre-outed 2400 and Amp over the above mentioned
Pre Amps Sure you may have a little more noise on the analog outputs of the receiver but it more than makes up for it with the complex DSP's
I have had personel expereance with the new Sherwood Newcastle P-965
and while it sounds good for 2-channel and analog sources The Pre-Outed
Yamaha 1400 sounded much better with complex multi-channel information
many times information that was present with the Pre-Outed Yamaha was burried or non existant with the Sherwood Simply put the Yamaha 1400,2400
and 3805 used as Pre-amps are the best bang for the buck at the present and IMOHO out perform many of the entry level and Mid-FI Pre Amps on the market when used as a Pre Amp
Cheers

L

LeadTrac

Audioholic Intern
That is something to think about, particularly since I use my system primarily for movies. In reality I do not have to replace my Yamaha when I move my system. I also have a Sony STR-DE895 (110 x 6). I bought this unit new not a year ago. I used it for a few months, replaced it with the Yammie and it has been sitting in a box ever since. I could pull it out, dust it off and hook it up again. It is a thought.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis