Using LG's Magic Remote with a Denon Receiver

Rick Altman

Rick Altman

Audiophyte
I am having a heck of a time with a task that should be really easy: tuning my LG 55" OLED television's "Magic Remote" to control the volume on my Denon AVR-S540BT receiver. I am connected to the receiver via the HDMI ARC and the sound is fine. I can also connect via an optical cable and hear clean sound out to my speaker system. From there I did the following:

• Went to the TV's Device Connect page
  • Chose Home Theater as the device I wanted to connect
  • Chose Denon as the brand and found a code that turns the receiver on and off
  • Saved out of those screens
But when I try the volume or mute keys on the remote, nothing happens. This is frustrating to me, and adding to my confusion, the code-finding process has as its test, Power, Input, and and Up (whatever that is). I don't care about turning the receiver on and off or changing its input; all I want to do is control volume!

This is arguably the most advanced television in the world today -- surely I can accomplish this simple task. Can someone here help me get there?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You might have better results if you try getting the Denon receiver's remote to control the TV set.

Rick Altman

Rick Altman

Audiophyte
Thank you for that Swerd. I see that you own a Denon receiver -- mine came with a very sparse manual; where would I find instructions on tuning its remote?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Trebdp83 – Thanks for the link to that Denon manual.

I did a quick search for 'remote control' and found that your Denon doesn't seem to have the feature mine has – that its remote can be set to operate a number of other devices such as TVs, BluRay or DVD players, etc.

However on pages 78-79, I did find something of possible use. Denon instructions can be difficult to understand. If you print out those 2 pages, and make sure you've set things exactly as the manual says, you might get something to work for you.

It is also possible that you have to change settings in the TV before it will cooperate with your AVR.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No problem. Long history with Denon here. I still think it is criminal that Denon does not include universal remote controls with all of their models. I would think that if Mr. Altman has HDMI-CEC set to ON in both the TV and AVR that the TV remote control would adjust the Denon’s volume. He may need to check the Simplink settings in the TV. I see some things never change and Denons still change to the TV input when they get a command from the TV. It can be an annoyance. I hope he works it out.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In the manual for my AVR, under the Settings tab, Denon uses this phrase:

"Operating external devices with the remote control unit"

I searched your manual for "external devices" but found nothing that looked useful. Maybe you'll be more persistent and find something. Good luck.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I still think it is criminal that Denon does not include universal remote controls with all of their models.
I didn't know Denon does that. That suggests that other AVR makers do the same.

I recently bought the Denon AVR-X4500H, less than a month ago. I previously owned a Denon AVR-1800 that I bought in 2000 and used until 2009. It was in the middle of Denon's price range, but it did provide settings for semi-universal remote control use. A lot can change in 20 years.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, you have to spend on 4XXX models and up to get them.:rolleyes: Similar situation with other makers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
At least the OP now has a complete copy of the manual for his AVR.

@Rick Altman – You can save the manual as a PDF file. Look in the online version of the manual for a Download button. In Firefox, that button is on the upper right. Here's a screen shot of that upper right corner, where I added the red arrow.

1607722016021.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for that Swerd. I see that you own a Denon receiver -- mine came with a very sparse manual; where would I find instructions on tuning its remote?
EVERYONE's manuals are available online, now. Paper is heavy and the cost to ship it is too high. Besides, almost nobody reads manuals.

Rick Altman

Rick Altman

Audiophyte
@Trebdp83 – Thanks for the link to that Denon manual.

I did a quick search for 'remote control' and found that your Denon doesn't seem to have the feature mine has – that its remote can be set to operate a number of other devices such as TVs, BluRay or DVD players, etc.

However on pages 78-79, I did find something of possible use. Denon instructions can be difficult to understand. If you print out those 2 pages, and make sure you've set things exactly as the manual says, you might get something to work for you.

It is also possible that you have to change settings in the TV before it will cooperate with your AVR.
Thank you, I have printed out those pages and will prepare to do battle with the Denon remote. My first choice is to get the LG's Magic Remote to work, as it is a superior remote. So I will continue to tilt at that windmill.

Rick Altman

Rick Altman

Audiophyte
No problem. Long history with Denon here. I still think it is criminal that Denon does not include universal remote controls with all of their models. I would think that if Mr. Altman has HDMI-CEC set to ON in both the TV and AVR that the TV remote control would adjust the Denon’s volume. He may need to check the Simplink settings in the TV. I see some things never change and Denons still change to the TV input when they get a command from the TV. It can be an annoyance. I hope he works it out.
I will make sure of these settings with both units. Simplink is definitely on at the TV, but I am not familiar with the CEC that you speak of.

highfigh

highfigh

Why would they spend that much to develop something that will probably never be used and there are so many better options? Can a Denon remote perform macros? Can it control devices via RS232, Bluetooth or IP? Will it only use line of sight for IR commands? Is it easy to map custom buttons?

In all likelihood, an AVR remote than can control other devices would end up in a drawer.

highfigh

highfigh

Thank you, I have printed out those pages and will prepare to do battle with the Denon remote. My first choice is to get the LG's Magic Remote to work, as it is a superior remote. So I will continue to tilt at that windmill.
I seriously doubt it will work because it uses Bluetooth to control the TV, AFAIK.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Why would they spend that much to develop something that will probably never be used and there are so many better options? Can a Denon remote perform macros? Can it control devices via RS232, Bluetooth or IP? Will it only use line of sight for IR commands? Is it easy to map custom buttons?

In all likelihood, an AVR remote than can control other devices would end up in a drawer.
I hear you but they would need to develop nothing. When somebody spends good money on an x3700H and gets the same remote as an S model it just seems like they are being cheated. Why offer them at all? I guess it is just a perk for the guy spending money on an X4700H and up even if it ends up in a drawer.

highfigh

highfigh

I hear you but they would need to develop nothing. When somebody spends good money on an x3700H and gets the same remote as an S model it just seems like they are being cheated. Why offer them at all? I guess it is just a perk for the guy spending money on an X4700H and up even if it ends up in a drawer.
Their codes haven't changed much, if at all over the years, other than adding some. If you have a universal remote, I have the full set of HEX codes for Denon, if you want them. They can be converted to IR by Harmony or in the URC Editor, if you have access to it. I think the RTi editor can do the same.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would invest in a Harmony personally. But my older Onkyo(gone now) was able to control my BD, sat, and tv. It could also do macros. Imo it seems like a backslide not to include on any AVR, and especially midrange and higher ones. Problem is most AVR remotes aren’t good in the first place. Some manufacturers used to include two remotes. One small one for basic tasks and a larger one for deep diving. I like remotes that have different areas, or zones on them and especially unique shaped buttons. That way I don’t have to look at the remote, I just few it like Brail. That’s some you can’t do with a remote companion app.

highfigh

highfigh

I would invest in a Harmony personally. But my older Onkyo(gone now) was able to control my BD, sat, and tv. It could also do macros. Imo it seems like a backslide not to include on any AVR, and especially midrange and higher ones. Problem is most AVR remotes aren’t good in the first place. Some manufacturers used to include two remotes. One small one for basic tasks and a larger one for deep diving. I like remotes that have different areas, or zones on them and especially unique shaped buttons. That way I don’t have to look at the remote, I just few it like Brail. That’s some you can’t do with a remote companion app.
I think the manufacturers are trying to provide codes for the equipment, but are aware that most people won't use them. At the OEM level, a remote is very inexpensive- it's in how it can be programmed and customized that causes the expense to increase. An example of a brand that includes a remote that is a PITA to operate is Denon- they have an AMP button with Main, 1, 2 & 3 next to it and if the AMP button isn't pressed, the receiver functions aren't accessible, other than Volume, Mute and a few others; it will be operating the device that matches the button pressed, such as DVD, Cable, etc. If 1,2 or 3 are pressed, it's trying to operate one of the other zones. In order to do anything else with the AVR, the user needs to press AMP or Main. A Harmony 650 operates in activity modes, which map the buttons for the "best" configuration, based on close to 20 years of existence and feedback from users. If someone wants to add, delete or customize buttons, it's pretty easy. The code library for Harmony is extensive and they're able to convert from HEX, check commands to find/fix errors and can actually tell the user why commands for one device are operating something that has nothing to do with the other, as happened when I was trying to operate a surveillance DVR with IR commands and it turned out that the TV manufacturer used the same IR chipset manufacturer, which resulted in code overlap. URC tech support has been bad, in my experience, far too often. Their trainer is great, but some of the support team don't seem to get the idea that customer support is how they could have kept a lot of integrators in their corner.

Midrange and higher-end AVRs are often bought by techy people who like to mess with configurations, but many are installed by dealers/contractors/integrators who prefer one or two brands, are very proficient with the custom setup intricacies and will use a control system that operates the whole system to a fine degree, along with smart devices, lighting, thermostats, shades, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis