Using an old AVR with new tech components, better video or audio?

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
I have setup an old Onkyo 876 for a game/movie room. I am using a ps4, 876, older Apple TV, to a TCL 55”

My tv supports HDR but the avr wont pass it through. So it seems I have a choice,

1. PS4 directly to tv to get HDR and TOS link to AVR to pass 2ch optical

Or

2. PS4 to AVR via HDMI to get lossless PCM audio but I would lose the ability for HDR

Or

3. Something else?

Thanks group

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I have setup an old Onkyo 876 for a game/movie room. I am using a ps4, 876, older Apple TV, to a TCL 55”

My tv supports HDR but the avr wont pass it through. So it seems I have a choice,

1. PS4 directly to tv to get HDR and TOS link to AVR to pass 2ch optical

Or

2. PS4 to AVR via HDMI to get lossless PCM audio but I would lose the ability for HDR

Or

3. Something else?

Thanks group

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have or used to use as main AVR TX-SR875 I think that is the model below yours you have a good model keep it you can use it for extra say Matrix processing new channels if you get an AVR with Dolby Atmos so you can expand and have cool home cinema.

I noticed when I had one of these digital tv box things thou no longer use it or care to watch tv I was forced to upgrade form the Onkyo TX-SR875 to a Marantz SR6012 that has the newer HDMI 2.0 and that HDCP that can hand-shake 4K or whatever with tv. SIGH So much for this firmware feature proof that forces consumers to buy again.

I tried one of those digital box HDMI converters with Onkyo no luck at all still wouldn't pass the 1080p to box to the tv.

Get one of the newer AVR that have RCA outputs in case you happen to not like the internal amps as there is only so much they can do. Use the pre-outputs and wire in extra Matrix decoders and expand the system is an option. Don't get those lemons without the RCA outputs.

Onkyo also dumped Audyssey eq which is why I went with a Marantz or could have gotten a Denon but I hardy use the Audyssey eq I use my own outboard manual EQ.

I do like the designs of the Onkyo and its taken few days to get used to the Marantz with circle port window it does look different. Also it doesn't get BAKING HOT like Onkyo TX-SR875 I guess your Onkyo gets alarmingly HOT! For concern? Does it or has it had any HDMI video dropouts?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis