Using a computer to play lossless files through my receiver

S

Scott S.

Audiophyte
Hello,

I've just completed the enormous months-long hassle of digitizing more than 2000 CDs into lossless format on an external hard drive. Now, the fun part begins: I'd like to be able to conveniently pipe these songs into my Yamaha RX-V3900 amplifier to properly listen to them.

My question is: What's the consensus of the best way to do this? Should I buy a dedicated computer to park next to my receiver? If so, is iTunes the way to go?

Is wireless transmission possible from my current computer, or will this result in severe degradation of sound?

What about a good iPod docking system? I could fit a lot of these files on my 160GB iPod, but the on-screen interface that comes with the standard Yamaha iPod dock isn't exactly as convenient as the pointing-and-clicking that one can do in iTunes.

Thanks so much for your help!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I went the dedicated computer route for a while, and then tried the Boxee PC thing, and finally settled on a Western Digital TV Live. It's simple, cheap at around $130, has a nice interface, network connectivity, 2 USB ports, and plays FLAC files just fine. I haven't tried it with other audio formats but it also plays DVD and Blu-Ray rips.

These attach to your receiver via either a standard HDMI cable or a proprietary component video cable for video and digital audio cable for audio. They use your TV as the monitor.

Not there is a cheaper version but I can only recommend the "Live" version.

Last edited:
S

Scott S.

Audiophyte
Hi again,

Of course, after doing some reading of these forums, I see that questions of this nature have been asked fairly frequently. I've just spent twenty minutes reading about the Logitech Squeezebox family of products and people seem relatively happy with them.

Should I be concerned, however, that they only seem to support sampling rates up to 96kHz? Unless I'm thoroughly confused about what this means, it seems like the sound quality will be pretty terrible.

S

Scott S.

Audiophyte
Also, regarding the comment about WD TV Live, it seems like iTunes files are not supported. While the majority of the files I have are NOT iTunes files, this still seems rather limiting.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Also, regarding the comment about WD TV Live, it seems like iTunes files are not supported. While the majority of the files I have are NOT iTunes files, this still seems rather limiting.
Run a batch conversion to something more standard. Assuming they aren't DRM protected. This isn't free but the Reference version does batch conversions and is the best ripping app I've found. I do all of my rips to FLAC then have the batch converter make a copy in MP3 format for my portable.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

N

Nugu

Audioholic
I use PS3 Media Server software on my server PC to wirelessly stream PCM to my PS3 which passes it through to my receiver. Don't know if Apple is supported though but I'd assume so. Check out the google code page for PS3 Media Server if you want to find out.

PC software -> wireless router -> PS3 -> HDMI -> Receiver (all digital to receiver)

Plus you can play ps3 games this way :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just in case you don't, be sure you have your files backed up!
You don't want to reconstruct the "enormous months-long hassle of digitizing more than 2000 CDs into lossless format on an external hard drive."
To my way of thinking you've got enough time and effort invested in this process, that the cost of a backup drive is cheap insurance!

Curious, how large of a drive does it take to fit 2,000 CD's in lossless format?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Depending on the length of the albums, it should be around 1TB of space. So a 1.5 or 2TB drive would be enough.

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
Streaming your music

Hi,
Don't forget Logitech's Squeezebox. It has community based software, is good and getting better all the time.

Good luck.

Edmonton

Edmonton

Audioholic Intern
Should I be concerned, however, that they only seem to support sampling rates up to 96kHz? Unless I'm thoroughly confused about what this means, it seems like the sound quality will be pretty terrible.
44.1 kHz is CD quality, 96kHz is top notch, you might be of thought they meant 96 kbps?

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Wireless

I run my system wirelessly. My iTunes library is all Apple Lossles and resides on an external hard drive connected to my computer. I use an Apple Time Capsule as my back up hard drive and wireless router. An Apple Airport Extreme will do the same job for routing. I have an Apple TV with my audio system. The iTunes library is both streamed (wirelessly running off my computer and synched (up to 160 GB of information can reside on the hard drive of the Apple TV - that way I don't always have to have the computer or iTunes on). From the Apple TV I use its digital optical output and connect to an external DAC. I highly recommend an external DAC and reasonable units can be had for a couple of hundred dollars to some very big dollar figures. The out put of the DAC is connect via analog interconnects to my integrated amp (or your receiver). From there it is music at your finger tips and at a quality that my comparisons and to my ears is at the least equal to good CD quality output and in many cases exceeds it.

I

ifsixwasnin9

Junior Audioholic
I guess the iTunes lossless cost more then the iTunes mp3? How much more? I admire your enthusiasm. Does your system play tracks automatically like a regular CD? This is probably the wave of the future.

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
I guess the iTunes lossless cost more then the iTunes mp3? How much more? I admire your enthusiasm. Does your system play tracks automatically like a regular CD? This is probably the wave of the future.
If you are speaking about importing CDs to your iTunes library then there is no cost factor associated with Apple Lossless versu mp3. It is simply a set up selection within iTunes. If you are speaking about downloading of tracks, then yes, where sites offer mp3, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless or high res 24/96 then they cost more than the mp3 downloads.

Regarding playback of files you have complete control. You can play a titles just as if it was the sequenced CD, but you have much, much more and easier control of your music library in how you wish to play it back.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Your 3900 has streaming capability built in. I have not used it on that partictular model but I used to use it all the time on my 2700. Mine was the first Yamaha to include that feature and it definitely isn't 100% polished on mine. I'd say it would be worth a shot to try it out on your 3900. They supposedly made some improvements. It appears to support lossless files as well as AAC which my 2700 did not. The 3900 also has a USB port for direct hookup of the hard drive.

I stream music off my PC in two ways; Through my Xbox 360 media center extender, and through digital coax direct from the PC. Both methods work great. Media center has a very nice interface.

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
If you are speaking about importing CDs to your iTunes library then there is no cost factor associated with Apple Lossless versu mp3. It is simply a set up selection within iTunes. If you are speaking about downloading of tracks, then yes, where sites offer mp3, AIFF, FLAC, Apple Lossless or high res 24/96 then they cost more than the mp3 downloads.

Regarding playback of files you have complete control. You can play a titles just as if it was the sequenced CD, but you have much, much more and easier control of your music library in how you wish to play it back.
not to throw this thread off track but there is a place that has lossless downloads of popular music? only thing ive been able to find is underground bands that have not been signed, and they usually dont have any clue how to record anyways so theres no point.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
not to throw this thread off track but there is a place that has lossless downloads of popular music? only thing ive been able to find is underground bands that have not been signed, and they usually dont have any clue how to record anyways so theres no point.
Just buy the CD and rip into a lossless format. If you're looking for free downloads, shame on you!!!

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Just buy the CD and rip into a lossless format. If you're looking for free downloads, shame on you!!!
You can find lossless recordings for free from archives.org, they are however LIVE recordings, you can find a lot of cool stuff on there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis