Usher Audio S-520 Bookshelf Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When Usher Audio approached us about a review, I picked out a bookshelf speaker towards the middle of the price range of their catalog. Much to my surprise, they suggested their newest and least expensive speaker. For a company whose most expensive set of speakers tops $16k, to recommend a $400 pair of bookshelves showed a lot of confidence. After spending some time with these speakers, I’m convinced that Usher Audio is looking to dispel the idea that you need to search the Internet for quality bookshelf speakers at a reasonable price.

Discuss "Usher Audio S-520 Bookshelf Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

P

PatrickBateman

Junior Audioholic
When Usher Audio approached us about a review, I picked out a bookshelf speaker towards the middle of the price range of their catalog. Much to my surprise, they suggested their newest and least expensive speaker. For a company whose most expensive set of speakers tops $16k, to recommend a $400 pair of bookshelves showed a lot of confidence. After spending some time with these speakers, I’m convinced that Usher Audio is looking to dispel the idea that you need to search the Internet for quality bookshelf speakers at a reasonable price.

Discuss "Usher Audio S-520 Bookshelf Speaker Review" here. Read the article.
I am surprised that no one has commented on this glowing review yet. I have not heard them, but a friend of mine out in LA has, and told me they were really exceptional for the price.

placebo473

placebo473

Enthusiast
Great review. I didn't know Usher had affordable offerings. You can compare this bookshelf to Outlaw's newest bookshelf ($999-$1099). Some value Outlaw's made in the USA brand.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
It is a good speaker. When I had a pair in my house, however, the Ascend 340 SE was significantly better. The 340 is 568/pair. People who have compared the Ascend 170 to the Usher thought the 170 better.

Another good Usher speaker is the V-601. At $750 it is very good. I prefer the 340, but the finish on the Usher is very nice. I think Usher is a good company, one which should receive more attention. I wold love to hear the higher end Usher bookshelves.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I've not been a fan personally of the Ascends, but it's a matter of taste. I have not heard any Ushers but I would like to. I agree that they make some gorgeous speakers.

B

bandit

Audioholic
I went to Usher's website.. as I wanted to know where I could here them. Did the find a dealer thing and typed in my zip code. The site came back and said I am near NO dealers. It was a great review... but looks like I won't get a chance to hear them.

Bandit

majorloser

majorloser

I had the pleasure of listening to these babies tonight. They are beautiful speakers with a very clean, crisp sound. I personally wouldn't call them overly bright as Tom did, but then again I like my highs to be slightly forward. Just not to the point of harsh on the ear.

I would definitely recommend these to anybody.

M

mziegler

Audioholic
I've not been a fan personally of the Ascends, but it's a matter of taste. I have not heard any Ushers but I would like to. I agree that they make some gorgeous speakers.

Let me add that the people I know who compared the 520 to the Ascend 170 pointed out that it was close and that the Usher was a whole lot better looking--even a blind person could figure that one out.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

This is a review thread, let's keep it on topic please.

Last edited:
M

mziegler

Audioholic
Well, is was mostly on topic. Sorry. It is a heck of a speaker at a really good price.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I went to Usher's website.. as I wanted to know where I could here them. Did the find a dealer thing and typed in my zip code. The site came back and said I am near NO dealers. It was a great review... but looks like I won't get a chance to hear them.

Bandit
I just searched too, dealers for Usher seem to be about as rare as dealers for RBH.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I heard these speakers a few weeks ago, at a friend's house, before reading the review. I didn't like their sound, although I do agree with the reviewer's comments about their build quality.

They seemed to do fine on simple material at low volumes. But on heavier material, they got congested and nasal sounding. The problem isn't in the bright treble, in fact, I think the Usher tweeter is very good. It's the bloated midrange, probably caused by inadequate baffle step compensation. Correcting the baffle step response from a small cabinet is a simple matter of adding a few more components in the crossover. For $400 a pair, I think Usher should get that right.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I thought Usher Audio was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me.
Usher was out to get me
That's the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw Usher's face, now "I'm a Believer"
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, "I'm a Believer"!
I couldn't leave Usher if I tried.

LOL :D :D :D

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Usher always appears to get glowing reviews from their demos at trade shows, including their fit and finish. Their speakers however appear to be geared towards stereo. Yes they do make center channels speakers to match the v and x series, but nothing to match the dancer series. For folks who like to maintain integrity of crossovers and drivers in a home theater setup, the dancer series would be out of consideration. There is not even a center channel or bookshelf monitor that has the same woodgrain as their highend series. It would be insane to spend 10-16k on a front towers and then match them with their available center channel speakers. So no matter how good the s520s sound, and they appear to be a helluva deal, they might apply more as 5 satellite monitors in a HT, or grouped with a corresponding S series center channel.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Home Theatre or Not?

I really want to audition these speakers, yet I noticed that Tom did not use any movies to test them. Does he know that they are not intended for movie duty? I am looking to upgrade my system and Tom is hard on speakers so when he was going crazy over these Ushers I thought I've got to hear these things. If anyone has any suggestions for a 5.1 setup let me know. I've been thinking about HSU for their high efficiency and large soundstage. I've also heard good things about Aperion Audio. I want breath taking volume, detail, and soundstage, I want to be in the movie.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
When auditioning a stereo pair, I always use music - mostly because it is 2-channel native. Movies are most always in surround which means I'd be hearing all 8 speakers in my setup (the two under review and 6 others). Not really a fair test. I could test using the movie's stereo output but I don't ever listen to movies that way (who would voluntarily?) so it isn't a very good test. Since the Usher's are shielded, they would be perfect for HT duty. You could get the dedicated center channel but you could just go with s-520's all the way around for a perfectly timbre matched system. If you've got the opportunity, you should give them a listen.

Coheednme13

Coheednme13

Audioholic
Usher vs. M60v2

Tom here is another question for you. If you did a faceoff between the Usher and your reference m60v2 who would win. I'm interested in looking at an Axiom system but when you say the Usher's tweeter doesn't distort as easily I was wondering at what SPL levels will the Axiom's distort? Is the distortion that noticable? I just want to get the best speakers possible and I would hate to spend $1000 on m60's if the s520's would be as good or better. Thanks

M

mziegler

Audioholic
Tom here is another question for you. If you did a faceoff between the Usher and your reference m60v2 who would win. I'm interested in looking at an Axiom system but when you say the Usher's tweeter doesn't distort as easily I was wondering at what SPL levels will the Axiom's distort? Is the distortion that noticable? I just want to get the best speakers possible and I would hate to spend $1000 on m60's if the s520's would be as good or better. Thanks
This would be an apples/oranges face-off--bookshelf vs. floorstanding. A better comparison to the Axiom would be the Usher V-602--it is priced about the same, I believe, as the m60.

Another great Usher speaker is the V-601 bookshelf. It is better than the S-520,but then it is $750.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Tom here is another question for you. If you did a faceoff between the Usher and your reference m60v2 who would win.
If you take my reviews (not just this one) as a whole, you'll see that I thought the m22's and the m60's sounded remarkably the same on the top end with the obvious advantage to the m60's in the bass department. While I didn't make a direct comparison, you can easily extrapolate that I would have preferred the Usher's to the m22's (plus they are cheaper now). If you are looking at floorstanders, you're probably in a bigger room and may benefit with a larger speaker with more bass. In a smaller room, with a sub, the s-520's are really the speaker to beat IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis