Used very old vs new - Which one should I get?

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Hi all,
This maybe a silly question but I'm not that experienced in brands and do not have the luxury to test the speakers where I live.

I was planning to buy a new SVS BP2000 Pro but I just came across a used Aerial acoustics SW12 subwoofer for 800$ ( I believe I can negotiate it further). I understand that this is a better brand but I'm not sure if I should go for such and old model especially that it has been used for a long time!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aerial/RBH is definitely a good brand and I'd get this sub over the SVS PB2000 no problem. Older gear can have amp issues but I'd take that chance, especially if you can get the price down! Nice find. FWIW some info on it I was looking at https://www.posthorn.com/Aerial_9.html

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Talk to the Owner. See what his system was used for. If you get good Vibes from talking to the Guy/Gal, buy it.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Thank you Guys.
I will check with the owner, what are the common issues that an old Amp could have? and is it easy to fix in such a system? Please bare in mind that there is no dealer where I live so I will be ordering online?

What kind of questions should I ask?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think they used a high quality amp from what I know about RBH/Aerial, but amps inside sub boxes just is a poor location. They tend to work until they don't, so if working without issues it's just a matter of time...it could well be a very long time before it does go. I also suspect the owner of such an expensive sub likely didn't abuse it. If the amp did have issues, they can be removed without too much drama and sent out for service with reasonable transport costs (compared to the whole 130 lb sub particularly :) ).

You are buying the sub without demo, or is the ordering online referring to service?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would buy the used sub, but try and get the price down. Yes, the amp cold blow up, but so could a new one just out of warranty and they quite often do.

The good news is that you can buy a 400 watt plate amp and get it to fit if you are handy. Or you can fit a set of speaker terminals on the back and buy an external amp. That is probably the best solution as they are more reliable. Since it is a ported sub, it will not need DSP or any complexity like that. I would negotiate a good deal.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
I'd think they used a high quality amp from what I know about RBH/Aerial, but amps inside sub boxes just is a poor location. They tend to work until they don't, so if working without issues it's just a matter of time...it could well be a very long time before it does go. I also suspect the owner of such an expensive sub likely didn't abuse it. If the amp did have issues, they can be removed without too much drama and sent out for service with reasonable transport costs (compared to the whole 130 lb sub particularly :) ).

You are buying the sub without demo, or is the ordering online referring to service?
There will be a demo for that one but I can't compare to the svs one.

My understanding is that its very old but yet he is claiming that he had it for less than two years, so I'm guessing it either had issues or he is not the first owner.
I will ask him and see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
I would buy the used sub, but try and get the price down. Yes, the amp cold blow up, but so could a new one just out of warranty and they quite often do.

The good news is that you can buy a 400 watt plate amp and get it to fit if you are handy. Or you can fit a set of speaker terminals on the back and buy an external amp. That is probably the best solution as they are more reliable. Since it is a ported sub, it will not need DSP or any complexity like that. I would negotiate a good deal.
Is there any guide on how to do any of those suggestions? Reason I'm asking is that I have an old DefTech prosub 600 that I can use to practice on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There will be a demo for that one but I can't compare to the svs one.

My understanding is that its very old but yet he is claiming that he had it for less than two years, so I'm guessing it either had issues or he is not the first owner.
I will ask him and see!

I just see the date in that link I posted of 2015 which isn't very old really but your deduction could be correct....you could always contact RBH/Aerial with a serial number?

As to the DT 600 sub....I wouldn't bother myself, the amp would likely cost more than the sub is worth. You can check out potential amps at parts-express.com perhaps, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis