used SONY STR DE598 - connection issues

• Thread starter GeneralProductsHulls
  • Start date
G

GeneralProductsHulls

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a SONY STR DE 598 Receiver to run an older Phillips 6.1 speaker system. It doesn't even have an HDMI port and I'm having a few connection issues.

I've gotten sound from 5 of the speakers, nothing from the sub-woofer yet, though. I've been cycling through the menus and still haven't gotten the hang of how to isolate each speaker, if that's even possible - but I'm learning.

The only input I'm using for the time being is an LG 42" flat screen t.v. (not a smart t.v.) which is connected to my computer via HDMI. The RCA jacks on the back of the t.v. are only Output jacks. I have the t.v. connected via RCA to the receiver, but I still haven't figured out how to pick up the audio signal from the t.v. through the receiver.

The receiver has optical cable ports - can I connect to the t.v. using one of those and an HDMI to Optical Cable-type of cable?

I'm kind of lost at the moment. After I bought the receiver, I discovered the receiver drives speakers at 8 - 17 ohms and my Phillips system are at 3 ohms. I installed 25Watt - 3.2. ohm resistors in each of the positive speaker cables and I'm hoping they're enough.

Any input or help you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated and if you got this far, thanks.

Mike

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Without links to manuals for the equipment so we can see their connections and capabilities, there’s not much we can do for you.

You aren’t going to get any sound from the sub because it’s probably passive, meaning it requires an outboard amplifier. You could use the old Philips electronics as the amp.

For what reason is the computer connected to the TV?

What is the source for TV programming? Antenna? Cable box? Something else?

From what I can see, the receive puts out 90 watts per channel. This means your 25 watt resistors are going to fry if you try to crank the volume too high.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

G

GeneralProductsHulls

Enthusiast
Thanks Wayne,

Here's a link to the operating manual: http://audio.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/sony/strde598.html?p=2

Here are a couple of pictures - let me know if more or better would help.

The T.V. is connected to my PC's graphics card via HDMI. My only video source is internet data/video streaming. No other video sources - nor antenna. The RCA plugs are as of now, connected to Video 1 on the back of the receiver, but nothing seems to work yet.

As for the resistors - is there another size that would protect the amplifier? I was under the impression the resistors were to bring the receiver's ohms in line with the speaker's ohms. Is that not correct?

The old Phillips home theater amp stopped working. That's why I bought the 6.1 receiver. Will this not drive the Sub-Woofer?

I've ordered an HDMI/TOS Optical Output converter but I'm still not sure how to run T.V./Digital audio from the computer through the receiver.

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is the model number of the old Philips system? Does it have an active or passive sub? A passive sub would have used the Philips amp, an active sub has it's own. Since I see you have what looks like the sub pre-out connected on the avr I'm assuming an active sub? What are the settings on the sub? Did you tell the avr that you are using a sub?

Forgot for a sec your avr has no hdmi thus my edit in case you saw my first version. Why do you have audio into the tv from the computer, tho? You have some audio you source in the tv itself? I'd just connect the tv to the avr myself. Do you not get audio from the pc on the hdmi?

What sound modes have you tried for using the sub?

G

GeneralProductsHulls

Enthusiast
Phillips got trashed awhile back so I don't remember. But it was a 6.1 surround sound, home theater all-in-one sort of package - rather a cheaper model tbh.

Probably best to disregard all but the HDMI connection on the TV and nothing on the receiver at this point.

Internet is my only media source - thus, the HDMI from PC > T.V. I'm currently using the PC audio output to a set of computer speakers. I want PC audio (movies, youtube etc) to input through the 6.1 surround from the receiver. I'm confused about bypassing the T.V.'s audio and just using what is supplied through the PC.

I've had to wait to connect the speakers to the amp so I could get the resistors installed first. But if I have to change them, I want to get that done before I start figuring out how to configure them for 6.1. So far, all I can get is white noise from FM - (I don't have an antenna and don't need radio) I don't know how to get all 6 speakers running at once without a 6.1 input which I can only get through my PC (I think) so I can configure them and adjust levels, etc.

If by passive, you mean the Sub Woofer does not have it's own amplifier, then that's what I have. There is nothing to indicate the Sub Woofer is amped aside from power coming from the receiver. So I want to figure out how to get that connected to and running off of the receiver.

I don't know if I'm trying to get 6.1 from the T.V. or from the Computer's Audio output. I don't have a lot of money but I have a PC, an LG 42 inch LED T.V. and this SONY receiver. I think it'll work but I've just gotten myself confused on how to connect the three components so they'll talk to each other.

Thanks again for your help!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

As for the resistors - is there another size that would protect the amplifier? I was under the impression the resistors were to bring the receiver's ohms in line with the speaker's ohms. Is that not correct?
You’re forgetting the power component. Ever seen an amplifier’s power rating spec? “250 watts @ 8 ohms.”

Anything connected to the speaker terminals has to be able to absorb the wattage the amp generates. Typically that’s the speaker. Those amplifier power ratings, as I understand, are typically derived with a dummy resistor load, say a 250-watt 8-ohm resistor. If they used a 1-watt resistor, it would burn out before they were ever able to determine just how much wattage the amp generated.

This is the situation you’re possibly faced with, using a 25 watt resistor with a 90 watt amp. It’s possible, even likely, that the speakers themselves will absorb enough power so that the 25 watt resistor will work. But if you smell something funny when playing at high levels, or if one or more speakers simply quite working, you’ll know the resistor burned out and opened up the connection.

The old Phillips home theater amp stopped working. That's why I bought the 6.1 receiver. Will this not drive the Sub-Woofer?
If the sub connected to the Philips via common speaker cable, you can’t use it with the Sony. It requires an external amp, and the thing isn’t worth spending any money for an amp. You’d be miles ahead with the cheapest 8” active (self powered) sub you can find on Craigslist.

I've gotten sound from 5 of the speakers, nothing from the sub-woofer yet, though.

The RCA jacks on the back of the t.v. are only Output jacks. I have the t.v. connected via RCA to the receiver, but I still haven't figured out how to pick up the audio signal from the t.v. through the receiver.
Your information is contradictory. First you say you’ve gotten sound to the speakers (minus the sub), then you say you can’t get audio from the TV. Where did the sound in the first paragraph come from?

The T.V. is connected to my PC's graphics card via HDMI. My only video source is internet data/video streaming. No other video sources - nor antenna.
The mystery is, what is the computer putting out via its HDMI output?

Since you say you can’t get audio from the TV’s audio out jacks to the receiver, I’m guessing the computer HDMI is passing video only. If it was passing both video and audio, you’d be able to get sound from the TV’s built in speakers. If you’re not getting any audio on the TV’s speakers, there is obviously no audio there to pass via it's audio output jacks. Thus, the only way you’re going to get audio will be from a direct output from the computer itself to the Sony. I’m guessing the only way to do that is to run a splitter cable from the computer’s headphone jack to an input on the Sony. Note, this will be an analog connection. You will NOT be able to get Dolby Digital from it – only Dolby Pro-Logic.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

G

GeneralProductsHulls

Enthusiast
"Your information is contradictory. First you say you’ve gotten sound to the speakers (minus the sub), then you say you can’t get audio from the TV. Where did the sound in the first paragraph come from? "
From FM radio. Without an antenna, all I get on FM is hiss - but it's enough to know I get signal to the speakers. Just not on all 5 at one time. Best I can get is 2 at once on 2 channel setting.

"But if you smell something funny when playing at high levels, or if one or more speakers simply quite working, you’ll know the resistor burned out and opened up the connection."
I usually don't run it that high - but I'm beginning to understand what I'm faced with. I actually don't know the power rating of my Phillips speakers so I may have to nurse this along until I can add to the system.

"The mystery is, what is the computer putting out via its HDMI output?"
I have "Realtec Audio Manager" in Windows 7 running stereo L+R with a powered Subwoofer. My computer's back panel 3mm Audio goes to the back of the subwoofer which drives the speakers.

My HDMI cable is plugged from my AMD Radeo 7800 Series Graphics card to one of two HDMI ports on the back of the LG TV.

If my computer puts out Video to the TV, can it also put out Audio to the receiver? Is it throughput through the TV or directly to the receiver?

I think HDMI from the computer to the TV sends both Video and Audio. The TV's speakers work - I just don't use them. If I use an HDMI>TOS converter, (which I just ordered) will that plug from my Graphics card's second HDMI port, directly into the TOS port on the back of the receiver? Is that 6.1 capable or is 6.1 a function of the sound card on my computer?

I'd like to plug into the receiver in some way that will drive at least 5 speakers at once. Maybe I can find a way to connect my other powered Sub Woofer to the receiver.

Thanks and best wishes,

Mike Kowalski
Twentynine Palms, CA

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis