Use Yamaha RX A1080 AVR with Martin Logan Motion Series speakers

D

Dave-NH

Audiophyte
I want to build a Martin Logan 5.1 speaker system using MO40i L/R; MO30i; DYN600XD; and MO15i with a Yamaha RX-A1080 avr. Does anyone have experience with this Martin Logan 5.1 system? I am choosing M-L MO series over the Bowers&Wilkins 603 series. Also, any experience with the RX-A1080? I am choosing this receiver one comparable receivers from Denon and Marantz. Perhaps, the last 2 receivers have plus points over the Yamaha; however, I'm a EE and really like the design and hardware inside. Thanks for any feedback.

D

Dave-NH

Audiophyte
Thanks Gmoney. I have seen posted comments that the A1080 treble is hot and the bass weak. I can't understand that from the specs Yamaha publishes. I have spent hours in Magnolia Rooms and the receiver + Martin Logan package as listed sounds fantastic. The B&W sounds great also, don't get me wrong. I do find that the M-L treble pops and helps the soundstage and; I think that is do to the electrostatic drivers. Hence, I don't want to lean to a receiver that is also treble hot.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you set it to Pass Thru, there is nothing that would make it sound any different than other receivers.

Mine is RXA2060 so a 2016 model.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like the features on Yamaha but I don’t think Denon or others would sound different from each other.

D

Dave-NH

Audiophyte
Thanks snake eyes & lovinthehd. I would agree with the Pass Thru. Also, though I haven't read the user manual of the Yamaha, I have to think there is room to adjust roll-offs. After all, like most electronics today, they're at least 50% software!
Snakeeyes, how has the RXA2060 worked for you? Does anyone have experience with the Martin Logan Motion series speakers that I am thinking to buy?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks snake eyes & lovinthehd. I would agree with the Pass Thru. Also, though I haven't read the user manual of the Yamaha, I have to think there is room to adjust roll-offs. After all, like most electronics today, they're at least 50% software!
Snakeeyes, how has the RXA2060 worked for you? Does anyone have experience with the Martin Logan Motion series speakers that I am thinking to buy?
Generally avrs don't have adjustable low pass or high pass filter slopes. If that's what you meant.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe he means the bass management settings?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe he means the bass management settings?
He said adjusting roll-offs....you can adjust a crossover point and it's related roll-offs, but you can't really adjust the roll-off particularly....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What’s the budget for the system and what subwoofer? What are the room dimensions?

What speakers do you have currently? Is this 50 percent music and 50 percent theater? Have you also focused on comparing center channels? Do you have a 4K TV?

There are a lot of choices for speakers and it’s great to get a lot of feedback before you spend money.

The Yamaha RXA2060 has been solid for me for music and theater and I do plan to add ceiling speakers this winter but I’m just running 5.1 currently. I also want to add a 2nd sub at some point. :)

D

Dave-NH

Audiophyte
I got distracted. My bad on the roll-off comment. Another hobby is ham radio and my radio is a few pieces of silicon and some transformers, otherwise it's all software. I can adjust any selected bandwidth for center frequency and it's roll-off profile.

Anyway. The room is about 20x20. The setup goal is a 5.1 with 50:50 music and HT; but accent on music. I am starting new, having sold my last system several yrs ago during a move across country. I plan to stay with one speaker manufacturer. I'm leaning to the Martin-Logan 40i for L/R, the 30i for Center, either the 800XD or 600XD for subwoofer and the 15i for surround, a second place choice is the B&W 603 series. I think the Yamaha A1080 will do the job for a beginning. One plan down the road is to get a dedicated multichannel amp and feed it with the signals from the A1080 pre-outs.

Snakeeyes, what speakers are you driving with the RX2060? Thanks all.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Currently I’m using Canton speakers and Rythmik sub with a Yamaha RXA2060

Vento 836 bookshelves
Chrono SL 556.2 center
Chrono SL 516.2 on-wall

Rythmik Audio LVX12 Sub (planning to add a 2nd next year)

4 in-ceiling speakers: RSL C34E (not installed yet)

D

Dave-NH

Audiophyte
I have heard of Canton, but never heard any, to be honest. TAS review seems to say they liked them several models. How did you decide on Canton and the specific models? I am locked into one retailer and what they promote. It may seem tunnel focused; however, I am getting a huge discount, family friends so to speak.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard of Canton, but never heard any, to be honest. TAS review seems to say they liked them several models. How did you decide on Canton and the specific models? I am locked into one retailer and what they promote. It may seem tunnel focused; however, I am getting a huge discount, family friends so to speak.
I took a gamble and ordered a smaller pair for my bedroom from Acessories4less.com. Those are Model Vento 820.2. That was after hearing lots of good reviews here and looking at the German reviews and graphs. I know that seems a bit wild but either way I needed a set of bookshelves in the bedroom 2.1 system. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I ever sell my Denon AVR-5308CI, I will probably replace it with a Yamaha RX-A3080 for my living room.

I think the RX-A1080 (same one that @Gmoney has) would do just fine for my RBH SVT, but I have this condition called “flagshipitis“. :D

In any case, I think the RX-A1080 will be fine for the MartinLogan or most speakers in most people’s homes.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If I ever sell my Denon AVR-5308CI, I will probably replace it with a Yamaha RX-A3080 for my living room.

I think the RX-A1080 (same one that @Gmoney has) would do just fine for my RBH SVT, but I have this condition called “flagshipitis“. :D

In any case, I think the RX-A1080 will be fine for the MartinLogan or most speakers in most people’s homes.
Andrew, Nothing wrong with a Flagship AVR bro
like you stated. If I had a HT room like yours a Flagship Processor like yours would be sitting as the Crown jewel in my HT room. I’ve seen photos of your system one of nicest set up’s I’ve ever seen. You living the dream bro!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis