USBC DAC recs for iPhone 15 pro (Apple Music to 5.1 system)

DarkKnight6989

DarkKnight6989

Audiophyte
Hey all, still a newbie with a lot of this. Recently finished putting together a 5.1 system, sounds great.

I want to start playing high res audio from Apple Music and went down the rabbit hole of DACs and I am at a loss as to where to go.

General consensus seems to be that apple’s own USBC dongle is more than good enough with a couple of other recommendations going the way Topping e30ii, moon drop dawn pro and the KA13.

I want to note that I’m never going to be doing any high res listening with headphones, just my stereo.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey all, still a newbie with a lot of this. Recently finished putting together a 5.1 system, sounds great.
I can't be bothered to look at your post history (assuming you've posted the details) - what AVR did you go with for your 5.1? It may already support Apple's Airplay so you don't need any usb dacs.

DarkKnight6989

DarkKnight6989

Audiophyte
I can't be bothered to look at your post history (assuming you've posted the details) - what AVR did you go with for your 5.1? It may already support Apple's Airplay so you don't need any usb dacs.
My first ever post here baby.

No my AVR unfortunately does not support Airplay, just Bluetooth. (Sony STRDH790)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My first ever post here baby.

No my AVR unfortunately does not support Airplay, just Bluetooth. (Sony STRDH790)
then I recommend buying the Apple TV 4k (wifi+eth) version - It would be a far better investment than a specialty dac, especially since you're not interested in hi-res audio.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats on your new system, and welcome to Audioholics!
I want to start playing high res audio from Apple Music and went down the rabbit hole of DACs and I am at a loss as to where to go.
BSA already gave good advice. His advice on computers in general as well as integrating computers or phones to an AV system are quite good.

Your instincts that high res audio and add-on DACs are rabbit holes to be avoided are spot on. Stick with that. Other than that, I've got nothing else to add.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
then I recommend buying the Apple TV 4k (wifi+eth) version - It would be a far better investment than a specialty dac, especially since you're not interested in hi-res audio.
And with the Apple TV 4K he can play multi-channel music which is much better than just stereo (assuming good mix/mastering).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
ATV4k is one of the best things I’ve added to my system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis