USB Sound Card: Experiences?

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
I am probably going to buy a USB soundcard to fix a few problems on my setup. My PC is approx 20 meters (65ft) away from my Amp, and right now I have a coax cable getting SPDIF along the way. This is a problem because I HAVE to have SPDIF passthrough in order to have any 5.1 output. This is somewhat a problem with my SB live 24bit. Plus the coax cable is not shielded properly and there is synchronisation issues whenever I turn a light on or off anywhere in the condo.

I also have a USB cable going through to my Amp, mostly for the IR receiver standing on my living room. This allows me to have a USB soundcard just right next to my amp as well. This would solve all connection issues as I could have SPDIF and a 5.1 analog connection as well. Of course, I'd like my SPDIF issues fixed as well, but even if they aren't I still have a rollback solution -- other than stereo.

So I need half decent DACs as well. Has anyone a recommendation here? I have two hubs between my PC and my sound card, will this be an issue with AV synchronization? Is USB 1.1 enough for this application?

I was having a look at Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB, has anyone had any experience with that ?

Thanks a bunch!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis