Upgraditis is itching

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys,

I've got a case of the 'ol upgraditis. I love my 64" Samsung plasma but I've been wanting something bigger for a while now. Unfortunately you can't get plasma's anymore and I HATE motion blur and the "soap opera" effect of LCD blur solutions. I've had my eye on the Samsung QN75Q8FNBFXZA or possibly the newer Q9 version. They look great at Best Buy but I've only seen them playing the demo stuff that I guess comes with the TV. I haven't been able to judge how well the TV's handle motion. I think it's been about 5 years since I bought my plasma so I don't know if there have been any real advancements in LCD motion blur.

I did look at the LG OLED77C8PUA 77" OLED that is selling for 7 grand!!!! But they were playing Avengers on it and I noticed motion blur almost immediately.

Motion blur will drive me nuts. I'm starting to believe that I'm just screwed. Does anyone make a TV that handles motion well? I pretty much hate Sony so unless I get desperate I think their TV's are out.

Help me out guys.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 2 plasmas. There is no going forward when the best is behind us.

May I suggest a subwoofer. Those are always nice to spend money on. Or maybe an amp? :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I'd keep the plasma until something really better comes along, that's what I'm doing with mine. If I had a good spot for a projector I'd think about one of those, tho. Subs are nice but seems you already have a few nice ones...

H

Happygodavid

Enthusiast
I’m with ya. Had a Samsung plasma for about 9 years, and I was hesitant to get a new tv. I just bought an LG C8, and I also hate motion blur. I spent hours combing through YouTube videos and articles to figure out how to get settings that would make me forget I had gotten a new tv. Now, with much tweaking, I am very satisfied with what I’ve got. In short, all of the motion processing can be turned off or down, depending on your tastes. I would guess it’s the same with a new Samsung Q series. (I went with the LG because it looked prettier to my eyes in the store. No regrets.) It’s crazy, too, because I can switch to a different preset I haven’t tweaked that still retains the default motion blur settings, and I hate it. Like, “I’d return the tv” hate it because it hurts my eyes.
Edit: I say go for it. Get the one you think you like best, learn as much as you can about changing settings. If you like the results, keep it. If not, return it until something more to your liking comes along.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m with ya. Had a Samsung plasma for about 9 years, and I was hesitant to get a new tv. I just bought an LG C8, and I also hate motion blur. I spent hours combing through YouTube videos and articles to figure out how to get settings that would make me forget I had gotten a new tv. Now, with much tweaking, I am very satisfied with what I’ve got. In short, all of the motion processing can be turned off or down, depending on your tastes. I would guess it’s the same with a new Samsung Q series. (I went with the LG because it looked prettier to my eyes in the store. No regrets.) It’s crazy, too, because I can switch to a different preset I haven’t tweaked that still retains the default motion blur settings, and I hate it. Like, “I’d return the tv” hate it because it hurts my eyes.
Edit: I say go for it. Get the one you think you like best, learn as much as you can about changing settings. If you like the results, keep it. If not, return it until something more to your liking comes along.
When you say preset is that per hdmi input or just a channel preset?

H

Happygodavid

Enthusiast
When you say preset is that per hdmi input or just a channel preset?
I'm not sure what you mean about per channel, but I'll try and expound further. I have all my sources going into a Marantz AVR, and the video out from the AVR going into the tv. If I switch to my Xbox One, the tv automatically switches to the "Game" preset (which turns off all processing for reduced input lag/latency for gaming). If I switch to my Apple TV, the TV switches automatically to "Home Cinema (User)" preset. It's called "(User)" because I went in and tweaked a bunch of settings. Like I said in the previous post, every once in a while when I'm watching something via the ATV, I'll just grab the tv remote and "just take a peek'' at another tv preset that is default, and I can't stand it. Fortunately, my fiance', who loves the look of motion blur but doesn't like it for sports, says, "You leave it however you like it; I'm fine either way and just wanna watch football without the runners' legs being smeared." :)

Edit: One thing the Samsung has over the LG is ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), which only matters if you're a gamer. In short, the Xbox One X has been updated to send an ALLM signal to the tv so that it will automatically switch to Game or another mode, depending on whether or not you're playing a game or, say, using Netflix on the Xbox. I use my Xbox to game and my ATV for pretty much everything else, so this hasn't been an issue for me. Just thought I'd point it out in case you or anyone else came across this thread who needed to know.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure what you mean about per channel, but I'll try and expound further. I have all my sources going into a Marantz AVR, and the video out from the AVR going into the tv. If I switch to my Xbox One, the tv automatically switches to the "Game" preset (which turns off all processing for reduced input lag/latency for gaming). If I switch to my Apple TV, the TV switches automatically to "Home Cinema (User)" preset. It's called "(User)" because I went in and tweaked a bunch of settings. Like I said in the previous post, every once in a while when I'm watching something via the ATV, I'll just grab the tv remote and "just take a peek'' at another tv preset that is default, and I can't stand it. Fortunately, my fiance', who loves the look of motion blur but doesn't like it for sports, says, "You leave it however you like it; I'm fine either way and just wanna watch football without the runners' legs being smeared." :)

Edit: One thing the Samsung has over the LG is ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), which only matters if you're a gamer. In short, the Xbox One X has been updated to send an ALLM signal to the tv so that it will automatically switch to Game or another mode, depending on whether or not you're playing a game or, say, using Netflix on the Xbox. I use my Xbox to game and my ATV for pretty much everything else, so this hasn't been an issue for me. Just thought I'd point it out in case you or anyone else came across this thread who needed to know.
I meant per channel because I thought you meant the LG tv presets. Only different inputs on my tv set have the ability to distinguish different settings....

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Went into Best Buy today to pick up a new laptop and ended up looking at the Q8 and Q9 Samsungs in 75" again. I liked the 82" they had on display but it was only a Q6 I believe. The salesman said, "Samsung actually makes an 82" Q8 now." I had the guy turn the Automotion down on a Q9 playing a crappy Transformers movie and the picture looked really good and I didn't really notice any motion blur. So I pulled the trigger on the 82" Q8. I'll get it on the 18th. Hopefully I haven't made a big error. I like the extra dimming zones of the Q9 but the price on that one is a little high.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Now the problem is that I went online and researched the 2 TV's last night and I saw that the Q8 has 40 dimming zones while the Q9 has 400!!!!

I can get the Q9 75" for about the same price as the Q8 82". Do I go down in size for the better picture or keep the HUGE TV?!?!?

Decisions, decisions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis