Upgrading the Klipsch RP8000F crossover

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone tell me what the specifications are for the original capacitors and inductors in the crossover for the Klipsch RP8000F loudspeaker?
This way I can buy upgrade parts beforehand and be ready to modify.
Also, I sure would appreciate any advice one might have for the best way to go.
Thanks for the help.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You want advice on upgrading the RP-8000F crossover, my advice would be: don't do it. The stock crossover only had one real problem, and that was a mild directivity mismatch at the crossover frequency. Otherwise, it was pretty good. Unless you are experienced at crossover design, you are likely to do more damage than good.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m reading the mod as upgrading to higher quality components....
I would still say no, don’t do it.
I’ve discussed with a few boutique designers and the consensus is: it’s a waste. They will upgrade their XO components at customer request, but their personal experience is that there is no tangible benefit. It’s just bragging rights...
At the end of the day, it’s no different than the age old cable game. The electrons just need a good quality path to follow and don’t actually care if the crystals are aligned... or the capacitor is impregnated with gold oil.

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
You want advice on upgrading the RP-8000F crossover, my advice would be: don't do it. The stock crossover only had one real problem, and that was a mild directivity mismatch at the crossover frequency. Otherwise, it was pretty good. Unless you are experienced at crossover design, you are likely to do more damage than good.
Thanks for your wise advice. I'll just let be. My intention was to replace the capacitors and inductors with equal, higher quality parts hoping to improve the purity of tone.

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
I’m reading the mod as upgrading to higher quality components....
I would still say no, don’t do it.
I’ve discussed with a few boutique designers and the consensus is: it’s a waste. They will upgrade their XO components at customer request, but their personal experience is that there is no tangible benefit. It’s just bragging rights...
At the end of the day, it’s no different than the age old cable game. The electrons just need a good quality path to follow and don’t actually care if the crystals are aligned... or the capacitor is impregnated with gold oil.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your good advice. You folks saved me a bunch of aggravation!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis