upgrading streaming device

H

Hawk53

Audiophyte
need some advice. I have a Yamaha RX- 1030 receiver that I have had for awhile. Last year I got into the Hi-res streaming game by buying a WiiM mini and subscribing to amazon music
hd. although I like the sound from the Wiim mini , I was thinking about upgrading to more expensive streamer. The problem is from ive been reading , is that there no way to bypass the internal DAC on my receiver . With that being said , is there any point to upgrade my streamer with one that has a better DAC or are there other benefits to a higher quality streamer? I was looking at WIIM Pro Plus, Blue Sound node and the ever solo dmp A6.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No audible advantage is likely. DACs are a pretty complete science and most push relevant specs beyond audibility already. Expensive doesn't always mean better or higher quality, either. You can generally bypass processing in the avr by using an analog input and no processing by either a dedicated input for that purpose or the "direct" sound mode (i.e. to just use the receiver as just an amp). I wouldn't spend too much on hi-res over cd level, perhaps for remastering or other manipulation, but for just listening to typical audio tracks, again the audibility differences are minimal and it's more about measurement. I'd just keep using the WiiM or other streamers, as long as they're relatively competent.

ps You can even make your own abx tests to see if you can tell differences between cd/higher res with software like Audacity, and some sites have made files available with such as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
need some advice. I have a Yamaha RX- 1030 receiver that I have had for awhile. Last year I got into the Hi-res streaming game by buying a WiiM mini and subscribing to amazon music
hd. although I like the sound from the Wiim mini , I was thinking about upgrading to more expensive streamer. The problem is from ive been reading , is that there no way to bypass the internal DAC on my receiver . With that being said , is there any point to upgrade my streamer with one that has a better DAC or are there other benefits to a higher quality streamer? I was looking at WIIM Pro Plus, Blue Sound node and the ever solo dmp A6.
Careful. You have been fed a dose of "codswallop". There is more than enough to go round. This high res craze is absolute nonsense with zero technical justification.

The fact is that 16 bit 44.1 is ALL that is required for excellent reproduction. That gives you an FR from the lowest audible sounds to 20 KHz. It also gives you enough dynamic range for all music. So the specification of the CD was correctly chosen and going higher for domestic product is ridiculous.

Now, in mastering there is benefit to give head room as running out of bits is a disaster. However, once you have the master and have a good recording then there is nothing to gain by releasing it higher then 44.1 16b bit. So this high res nonsense just clogs up the internet. So there is absolutely no point whatsoever bypassing the DAC of your receiver. In fact it will lead to double conversions if you try.

On this forum you will get the straight correct facts and not audiophool superstition.

The weak link in just about every system is speakers. If you want better sound quality then start with the speakers.

Here is a thread I put together on just this topic.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If something is streamed in hi-res, many want that “192/24” info label displayed on their DAC. Does it sound any better than 44.1/16? No, but if that is what is being streamed, that is what people want to see.

As for a streamer with a better DAC, that is also a can of worms but some people like worms and play with different DACs. The A1030 includes MULTI IN 7.1 analog ports. These are separated from digital processing.

You can connect analog cables from the analog LT, RT and SUB OUT ports of a Bluesound node to the A1030 and also connect an optical cable from the node to the A1030 to compare their DACs.

H

Hawk53

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice. Not such much worried about the DAC or chasing after hi res , but more of if there is any difference other than more bells and whistles between a 70 dollar wiim mini and lets say a 800 dollar ever solo streamer . I'm cool with stopping at a basic streamer and start looking at upgrading my speakers. also, there was confusing info on bypassing internal DAC on my particular receiver that is 11 years old. I will try Trebdp83 suggestion .

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Never owned a WIIM minii but I do have a Pro Plus connected to my HK 3490 receiver with RCA cables and it sounds as good as my NAD CD player. If you have a CD player and the WIIM you have sounds just as good I would be content. BTW my Pro Plus was the best $250 or so that I have spent on my rig in a long time.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Rather than start a new thread I’ll hijack this one. As far as user interface what’s people’s opinion on Wiim vs Bluesound? HEOS is trash!!!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
To answer your question. I have a Bluesound Node N130 and just got a WiiM Pro Plus for another system. A/B testing on my current system the Node sounded better to my ears. That being said I like the Wiim app better. Gives more control including EQ. Bought the Wiim used for a quarter of the price of the Node, which is a bonus.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis