Upgrading Receiver digital formats using a DVD Blue Ray Player

A

Audiowanttobe

Enthusiast
Is it possible to upgrade a older receiver using a multichannel Blue Ray DVD Layer. Looking for DVD player recommendations if this is possible.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
If you play a cd, and use the RCA outputs to the RCA inputs on your receiver...yes.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a receiver with analog 7.1 EXT IN, a player like the Oppo 203 with 7.1 pre outs would work. It would decode say DTHD and DTSMA and send them out as PCM to the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Blurays are not dvds. Different tech altho modern bluray players can generally play dvd and cd as well as bluray (and some other optical disc formats).

Your old gear is only capable of lossy 5.1 codecs it seems, not sure about your multich analog input capability if you get an optical disc player with a full set of analog outputs (and those tend to be expensive, too).

FWIW OP has these units:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nope, lots of pre outs but no 7.1 EXT IN on that Onkyo. Upgrade time!

A

Audiowanttobe

Enthusiast
Blurays are not dvds. Different tech altho modern bluray players can generally play dvd and cd as well as bluray (and some other optical disc formats).

Your old gear is only capable of lossy 5.1 codecs it seems, not sure about your multich analog input capability if you get an optical disc player with a full set of analog outputs (and those tend to be expensive, too).

FWIW OP has these units:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nope, I knew better than to linger in the halls. I usually stole a car from the teachers' parking lot and hung out at the mall. :p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
We didn't have any actually. Did you get checked by hall monitors a lot on your way to the principal's office?
Now that I think about it, those old school houses didn't have any halls, did they? Admit it, you once got your knuckles rapped for staring at that girl's bloomers.:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now that I think about it, those old school houses didn't have any halls, did they? Admit it, you once got your knuckles rapped for staring at that girl's bloomers.:p
Modern enough, we were just little angels, didn't need no monitors. We had crosswalk guard students, tho :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis