Upgrading Pro-Ject Debut III with new platter and stylus, or go for new Rega Planar 1 or Planar 2?

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
I recently moved my Pro-Ject Debut III turntable out of banishment in another room to center stage for my new home theater setup. I have a Marantz SR5014 receiver, a Klipsch R-100 subwoofer and the entry level Jamo S 803 home cinema system (with the S 803 fronts, S 81 center, and S 801 surrounds). I'm not crazy about the center channel, and am considering in time trading up to a Klipsch center (either the R-52C or RP-500C). In the meantime, I think my old Pro-Ject Debut III (not Debut Carbon) deserves an upgrade with the Acryl-it acrylic platter and a new stylus or cartridge, but I start adding up the costs and wonder whether to just spring for a new turntable.

I saw a very convincing YouTube Turntable Shoot-Out video comparing the Rega Planar 1 and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and the RP-1 blew the Pro-ject out of the water. Anybody have any opinions on this turntable? What about the Rega Planar 2 with the upgraded platter and tonearm. Is it worth the bump from $475 to $675? Any advice would be most appreciated.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Post the Video I'd like to see this. I don't believe the Rega Planar 1 "Blew the Pro-Ject out of the Water." The Debut Carbon is a nice Turntable and comes with a really nice Cartridge.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why change tt instead of just cartridge if you want to change up the audio for vinyl? How do turntables do "shoot-outs"....do they use the same cartridge and come up with different results?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Why change tt instead of just cartridge if you want to change up the audio for vinyl? How do turntables do "shoot-outs"....do they use the same cartridge and come up with different results?
If I had to guess since he hasn't responded. He watched this Video

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I had to guess since he hasn't responded. He watched this Video
I don't make decisions based on youtube generally, especially ones that start out as badly as that one and he's hard to understand generally even without the echo chamber. Just because the title of his channel sounds like he might know what he's doing doesn't mean he does....skipping thru it to a few points makes it seem just a presentation of the feature sets. No real testing of spec, and a listening "comparison" is useless (did he even level match?).

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I just love that video recorded in an echo chamber. ;) :eek:

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I don't get that claim at all. I’ve owned both TT and the Pro-Ject is a really nice unit, esp with the acrylic platter. The cartridge it comes with is superior to the Rega as well. A lot of people like Rega because there are a lot of aftermarket upgrades you can make to them, but unless you step up to the Planar 3, I’d stick with the Carbon and upgrade the cartridge if you feel like you’re missing something.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
OP here...I should clarify my turntable is the Debut III, not Debut Carbon. No carbon tonearm. Ortofon 5E cartridge. Could you recommend a cartridge upgrade?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The move to a Rega Planar 1 is a latteral move from the Project Debut, nothing more but the Planar 2 would be an upgrade. That said Project also has equivalent models in term of peformance to Rega's Planar 2.

If you decide to get the acrylic platter, make sure the VTA is adjustable in case the platter is much higher. Another route you can go is to get a new platter matt but dont get suckered into the audiophile nirvana that goes around this.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
The move to a Rega Planar 1 is a latteral move from the Project Debut, nothing more but the Planar 2 would be an upgrade. That said Project also has equivalent models in term of peformance to Rega's Planar 2.

If you decide to get the acrylic platter, make sure the VTA is adjustable in case the platter is much higher. Another route you can go is to get a new platter matt but dont get suckered into the audiophile nirvana that goes around this.
Thanks. But what is VTA? Apologies, I'm a newbie.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Vertical Tracking Angle....some tts can adjust the arm for that, some can't.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Ah, got it. It's a Pro-Ject Acry-It platter I've ordered, which should be a straight swap on my Debut III. I hope.

Funkoid

Funkoid

Enthusiast
Interested to hear how this has gone. I've never been happy with my Debut 3, it's one of the older editions with the Ortofon 5E cart. I bought it pre-owned with an acrylic platter already added.

I've been toying with upgrading for a while be it cartridge / new turntable but I've just held off.

I've had a Rega Planar 2 come up, very lightly used at 50% the cost of new, and I'm tempted to get that and sell the debut on as is. I've never replaced the belt on the debut, nor the cart so it's probably going to need a bit spending on it anyway.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
To the OP, Can you post a picture of your Debut? I still believe it has a carbon fiber tonearm.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
To the OP, Can you post a picture of your Debut? I still believe it has a carbon fiber tonearm.
I believe the III was before the Carbon, so not a CF arm.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis