Upgrading OHM brand loudspeaker

C

Camaro

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a pair of 1978 Ohm H loudspeakers. They came with a low tweeter, high tweeter, 8&quot; woofer and 12&quot; passive radiator.
I just notice that the passive radiators needed to be refoamed.

I somehow got a crazy idea to upgrade them by replacing the 12&quot; radiators with 12&quot; woofers or subwoofers and replacing the 8&quot; woofers with 8&quot; midranges. Is this a realistic idea or a stupid one.</font>

L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Stupid.........VERY STUPID!

You are replacing a passive radiator which has a similar function to a &quot;port&quot; in a ported type speaker.  You are changing the speaker from a 3-way to a 4-way speaker.  You would need to install a new crossover.  Unless you are an audio engineer (which might still not help) I suggest you save your money and time.    

You can buy a new passive radiator from Ohm for $60.  See www.ohmspeaker.com.  Check for the model &quot;H&quot; under &quot;older models.&quot;  Good luck.

LB6  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Longbin is right. And not only would you need to install a new crossover, you'd also need to rebuild the enclosure to separate the drivers from each other acoustically. Lincoln Walsh should come and haunt you for what you propose.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis