Upgrading my AV reciever

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Hi there!
Not a while passed since I got my system hooked up for the first time. And definitely it sounds swell, but my reciever is kind of the most basic I could find. Also, it's secondhand.
It's a Yamaha RX-V373, and paired with 3 Monitor Audio speakers which are said to be bright, might not be the best combination. Of course it's all speculations.

Anyways, I want certain features like these:
- 5.1 is what I need, I don't want to spend more for useless extra channels.
- Bluetooth connectivity so I can connect my phone straight to the reciever with ease
- Tidal and Spotify support.
- 4k support, no need for 8k
- Only a preference, but I rather have a titanium/silver reciever over a black one. Of course that's the last priority in the list.

Also I suppose it's better to have 100W RMS to match speakers, though underpowering my speakers a bit probably won't do harm... I don't listen at full volume anyways.

If anyone here knows such a reciever, that offers what I'm looking for but doesn't push needless features for me like 8k, like 7.2 etc... It'll be awesome!
Attached is my current setup:

Yamaha RX-V373
Left, Right and Center - Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd forget about the particular avr/speaker combo being "bright". More likely simply the speakers and/or your room. You don't "match" amp power with speaker max ratings particularly, more a guideline. Speakers at max rating wattage often are just on the brink of failure more than indicating a maximum enjoyment level :)

What's your budget if you really need to change avr? A better feature set might be nice. BT is only so useful, wifi is better (and many apps actually will use wifi instead of BT too). Black is more normal in the US, silver in Europe. I'd upgrade speakers before avr in your case, tho.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
I'd forget about the particular avr/speaker combo being "bright". More likely simply the speakers and/or your room. You don't "match" amp power with speaker max ratings particularly, more a guideline. Speakers at max rating wattage often are just on the brink of failure more than indicating a maximum enjoyment level :)

What's your budget if you really need to change avr? A better feature set might be nice. BT is only so useful, wifi is better (and many apps actually will use wifi instead of BT too). Black is more normal in the US, silver in Europe. I'd upgrade speakers before avr in your case, tho.
It's hard giving a budget since I'm in Israel and using shekels lol, but let's say around 600 bucks. I'm not in desperate need of replacing, but having integrated BT and/or WiFi will make for a much better experience.

Well, maybe I should ditch the combination brightness issue, and I haven't spent a minute in room acoustics since it's my mom's house and she doesn't like when I move furniture o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's hard giving a budget since I'm in Israel and using shekels lol, but let's say around 600 bucks. I'm not in desperate need of replacing, but having integrated BT and/or WiFi will make for a much better experience.

Well, maybe I should ditch the combination brightness issue, and I haven't spent a minute in room acoustics since it's my mom's house and she doesn't like when I move furniture o_O
Mostly that's just nonsense about certain "pairings" of amp and speaker brand to yield some sort of particular sound characteristics. I think most modern avrs come with both wifi and BT capabilities, even now with the lower end of a manufacturer's lineup (but I'd rather use wifi for audio if a choice, if not simply hard wiring it). Have no idea what the market is like in Israel, tho I have seen some frustration with choice/costs from other posts. Good luck!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought is just getting a simple BT receiver to plug into your avr if you really want that functionality. I use one in my truck as my head unit is an older model without BT....and have plugged it into my home gear a few times, not horrible even for the older BT codecs it can handle (and newer BT codecs are even better). I think mine was about $15.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hi there!
Not a while passed since I got my system hooked up for the first time. And definitely it sounds swell, but my reciever is kind of the most basic I could find. Also, it's secondhand.
It's a Yamaha RX-V373, and paired with 3 Monitor Audio speakers which are said to be bright, might not be the best combination. Of course it's all speculations.

Anyways, I want certain features like these:
- 5.1 is what I need, I don't want to spend more for useless extra channels.
- Bluetooth connectivity so I can connect my phone straight to the reciever with ease
- Tidal and Spotify support.
- 4k support, no need for 8k
- Only a preference, but I rather have a titanium/silver reciever over a black one. Of course that's the last priority in the list.

Also I suppose it's better to have 100W RMS to match speakers, though underpowering my speakers a bit probably won't do harm... I don't listen at full volume anyways.

If anyone here knows such a reciever, that offers what I'm looking for but doesn't push needless features for me like 8k, like 7.2 etc... It'll be awesome!
Attached is my current setup:

Yamaha RX-V373
Left, Right and Center - Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Subwoofer - SVS SB1000
Yamaha V385 or V4A ticks all the boxes.

V385 can be had for like $300 approx, you may want to explore the list of AVRs from here:

Best AVRs in 2021

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Another thought is just getting a simple BT receiver to plug into your avr if you really want that functionality. I use one in my truck as my head unit is an older model without BT....and have plugged it into my home gear a few times, not horrible even for the older BT codecs it can handle (and newer BT codecs are even better). I think mine was about $15.
I did get a Harman and Kardon bluetooth adapter, and I made another post about it not being what I thought, the audio quality isn't good enough, maybe because of the aux cable.. Check that post if you can... It's an HD adapter and the specs show it can transmit very good signal...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did get a Harman and Kardon bluetooth adapter, and I made another post about it not being what I thought, the audio quality isn't good enough, maybe because of the aux cable.. Check that post if you can... It's an HD adapter and the specs show it can transmit very good signal...
Could just be the BT codec? What were they both on transmitter and receiver?

ps could also be the way you set it up with gain structure....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
RX-V4A does not come in silver and lacks some features. RXV385 lacks network connectivity. If budget allows, check out RX-V485. Comes in silver and has network connectivity. I’d use the MusicCast app from phone over wifi over any bluetooth connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis