Upgrading Marantz AV7702 Advice?

PhilcoFord

PhilcoFord

Audiophyte
Bought a new Sony A90J OLED TV which is prompting the upgrade(s). Currently running the only external device (Xbox Series X) into A90J and the AV7702 is connected by HDMI ARC. Previously used the Xbox as the TV source, but the A90J apps produce much better quality than the Xbox for that content, so probably the TV will be the primary source of content for the foreseeable future. In other words, I'm not likely to be using a preamp/processor to handle the video... the TV seems to do that really well.

I am currently configured for 5.2 Paradigm speakers in this house but would like to add speakers for at least 7.2 someday. Atmosphere speakers would be difficult to do here...

I know that ARC limits the potential audio signal. I am able to get Dolby Atmos somehow from Disney+ apps etc. from the A90J via ARC. We do suffer from center channel mud on some content but I'm not sure that's due to the gear.

What I want to know is will upgrading the preamp/processor to something like the Marantz AV7706 with HDMI 2.1 and eARC significantly enhance the sound I'm getting? Or will the difference be subtle, especially with a 5.2 speaker setup?

Hopefully this makes sense...

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Congrats on the new TV.

Essentially going to a new Receiver with HDMI 2.1 and eARC, it all comes down to buying more bandwidth. The current bandwidth capacity of your present Marantz AV7702 is HDMI 2.0 at 18Gbps, but HDMI 2.1 clocks in at a robust 48Gbps. This increase in bandwidth allows HDMI 2.1 to transfer way more information. This means higher-resolution video and higher frame rates; which your Xbox is capable of, but your present AV7702 gives you all you need Audio wise for your 5.2 speaker setup.

Sound wise, I hear you about the quality coming from TV Apps and all. (That's why I'm still big on Blu-ray disks 4K and regular.) Hopefully they'll improve on it, but I'm not holding my breath. (I'm still waiting for Spotify HD :( and that's not coming anytime soon it seems.)

I hope this is helpful.

PhilcoFord

PhilcoFord

Audiophyte
Thank you for the help Jim!

Would there be any improvement in the audio with the extra bandwidth and additional sound formats available through eARC (even 5.1 uncompressed)?

The way I'm wired for video, I'm going around the AV7702 and using it only for audio via HDMI ARC. I'm not sure I would change that even if I upgraded because the TV is so good at upscaling etc. This is solely about the audio and improving what can be done with what I have.

I miss 7 channels... I had ceiling access in my old place, but not here. It's a challenge :-/

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The HDMI 2.1 and eARC specs are really about bandwidth to improve video content. Audio is typically just along for the ride as it doesn't take up much room. The main difference between HDMI ARC vs eARC comes down to bandwidth.

Support for all relevant audio codecs isn’t compulsory, so one can’t simply assume that a TV will be able to send a 5.1 Dolby Digital or a DTS soundtrack from a movie over ARC. Some TV manufacturers only support Dolby Digital, while others only support two-channel stereo. So check your manual, but yours is new enough to hopefully send what you are looking for.

It’s worth noting ARC doesn’t allow you to bitstream the high-quality codecs such as Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS:X soundtracks that you find on Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays. If you want this level of functionality, you’ll need HDMI eARC. But the Apps that I use don't transmit in any of these Lossless Codecs, and I've heard some ISPs (Internet Service Providers) won't allow it due to the increased bandwidth, but that too should be fading as networks gain capacity.

ARC can, however, allow you to receive Dolby Atmos audio from streaming services such as Netflix, Disney Plus and Amazon Prime Video, as these services embed Dolby Atmos in the lossy Dolby Digital Plus format which ARC can handle.

As I mentioned above, I haven't been impressed with the sound quality from Apps yet. Last August we treated ourselves to a new 75" Samsung QLED set, and while we are very happy with it, the sound we get from Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ via eARC is plain old sad when compared to Blu-ray disks. I certainly wouldn't jump into a new Receiver for sound from those sources.

I too let the TV do any up-conversion of video as it does a better job than my receiver. (I checked & was surprised). Some day real HD Sound will come from the Apps. I'm waiting for it too.

PhilcoFord

PhilcoFord

Audiophyte
That answered my question completely. Thank you!

Now I think I'll consider it a done deal until maybe I add more speakers. Expanding beyond 5.2 will maybe justify the extra expense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis