Upgrading HT question

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Finally got the wife's permission to upgrade our home theater room, so now I need some advice on the best way to allocate budget. I currently have a 5.1 system using Aperion Verus bookshelf and center front channels and Aperion Intimus bipole surrounds with an HSU sub, and we've been fairly happy with all products. At a minimum, I'd like to move to a 7.2 system probably using in-ceilings for my rear surrounds and a matching HSU sub, maybe replacing the bookshelves with Verus II towers. My question is, is it worth it to add 4 additional in-ceiling speakers to make it an Atmos system, or am I better off staying with a 7.2 system? Another alternative would be to try and sell the Aperions and move to an upgraded 7.2 system, but I'm not sure if upgrading the speakers would make enough of a noticeable difference to be worthwhile, especially since we've generally been happy with the Aperions to date.

Happy for any help!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Skip the 7.x.x and go 5.x.4. Your not going to gain much in 7.x especially if you use the rears inceiling. Put the extra money towards a second sub.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Skip the 7.x.x and go 5.x.4. Your not going to gain much in 7.x especially if you use the rears inceiling. Put the extra money towards a second sub.
Appreciate the reply. I'm definitely getting a second sub regardless. You think adding the additional 4 Atmos speakers is a better move than just upgrading the entire existing speaker set?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Appreciate the reply. I'm definitely getting a second sub regardless. You think adding the additional 4 Atmos speakers is a better move than just upgrading the entire existing speaker set?
My comment was for the configuration, speaker upgrades are always nice. Upgrading to the towers in the same line isnt going to give you any new sound, and would be a lateral move.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
My comment was for the configuration, speaker upgrades are always nice. Upgrading to the towers in the same line isnt going to give you any new sound, and would be a lateral move.
Is that because I’m alreading getting the LFE from the subs, so the bookshelves should be fine otherwise?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is that because I’m alreading getting the LFE from the subs, so the bookshelves should be fine otherwise?
Obviously the tower/bookshelf debate can go on forever, so I won’t go too far down that road. IME, and IMO, towers are typically more sensitive and easier to drive while the extra/larger drivers deliver bigger more dynamic sound. At lower volumes the the gap is much smaller, but when listening levels go up, I still find towers to be better. However I should say that towers or bookshelf speakers that cost the same usually favor the bookshelf in performance. Towers that perform on a higher level will definitely cost more, as they should considering the extra materials. That’s all I’ll say about that. You’ll definitely get a variety of answers. Disclaimer: I’m not a bookshelf guy lol.

As far as atmos vs 7.x. I definitely agree to go with atmos. Even bad immersive audio is better than no immersive audio. You won’t get a monumental return on the rear surround investment, especially in ceiling. There are lots of titles with atmos soundtracks, and dsu can make many legacy tracks almost as good or even better in some cases. I recommend at least 5.x.2 but 5.x.4 will be even better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some rooms are better suited to 5 than 7ch....what are the dims of your room and where is your seating within it?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That's part of it, but mainly it the sound signature being the same minus some dynamics.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Obviously the tower/bookshelf debate can go on forever, so I won’t go too far down that road. IME, and IMO, towers are typically more sensitive and easier to drive while the extra/larger drivers deliver bigger more dynamic sound. At lower volumes the the gap is much smaller, but when listening levels go up, I still find towers to be better. However I should say that towers or bookshelf speakers that cost the same usually favor the bookshelf in performance. Towers that perform on a higher level will definitely cost more, as they should considering the extra materials. That’s all I’ll say about that. You’ll definitely get a variety of answers. Disclaimer: I’m not a bookshelf guy lol.

As far as atmos vs 7.x. I definitely agree to go with atmos. Even bad immersive audio is better than no immersive audio. You won’t get a monumental return on the rear surround investment, especially in ceiling. There are lots of titles with atmos soundtracks, and dsu can make many legacy tracks almost as good or even better in some cases. I recommend at least 5.x.2 but 5.x.4 will be even better.
It's also worth mentioning the towers in question are 3 ways vs the two way bookshelves. Assuming good xover design on both models, a three way should offer significantly lower distortion since the entire bass section is handled by the woofers, freeing up the mids to focus only on the midrange. Again, this only helps at higher levels.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Finally got the wife's permission to upgrade our home theater room, so now I need some advice on the best way to allocate budget. I currently have a 5.1 system using Aperion Verus bookshelf and center front channels and Aperion Intimus bipole surrounds with an HSU sub, and we've been fairly happy with all products. At a minimum, I'd like to move to a 7.2 system probably using in-ceilings for my rear surrounds and a matching HSU sub, maybe replacing the bookshelves with Verus II towers. My question is, is it worth it to add 4 additional in-ceiling speakers to make it an Atmos system, or am I better off staying with a 7.2 system? Another alternative would be to try and sell the Aperions and move to an upgraded 7.2 system, but I'm not sure if upgrading the speakers would make enough of a noticeable difference to be worthwhile, especially since we've generally been happy with the Aperions to date.

Happy for any help!
Which HSU sub? What is the size of the room? You said you are happy with the speakers. What AVR do you have? Usually with bookshelf speakers, dual subs will be a big improvement. Tower speakers can be great too though. I guess I’m curious what the budget is for the upgrade and what percentage movies vs music.
And finally, are you changing the TV?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Thanks again for all the help. Room is roughly 18' wide by 20' deep. TV will go on the 18' wall and seating is approx. 12' from the tv. I have a HSU VTF-2 sub today, probably adding a second of the same model. TV is currently a 65" Panny VT-65 Plasma that I love, but will probably move into another room and replace with a larger display. AVR is a Denon x4100 that I will also replace. This is very much a movie room, so would say 80% sports/movies, 20% music. I haven't set an official budget for this yet, but am trying to do it reasonably but not cheaply (if that makes sense).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis