Upgrading from $350 5.1 setup, looking to spend $2,000 or less.

D

dontwantone

Audiophyte
4 years ago I bought my first 5.1 system for a projector we had. I got a DENON AVR-S540BT for $150 and a 5.1 bundle from Parts Express for $200. Upgrading from built-in TV speakers this was a huge improvement. I've got some extra cash and am considering upgrading to a more robust sound system with a new AVR and speakers / subwoofer.

Here's a picture of the front of the setup, and here's a rough layout of the space the TV is in.

I'm not really an audiophile and mostly watch TV shows, play games on the PS5 and play the occasional vinyl. I'm interested in getting the 'best bang for my buck' and having a solid pragmatic setup. Because my rear speakers have kind of an awkward placement and can't go up in size, I'm thinking of upgrading the fronts, center, subwoofer and possibly the AVR. I have room for tower speakers or bookshelves. However because we can't change out the cabinet (maybe in a year or two when we get an entertainment center), and I don't want to remount the TV higher, the center can't be taller than 4.5" or it blocks the bottom of the TV.

So given that, I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on the best approach to upgrade and what to buy for $2,000 or less.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I hate to say it, but you are kind of screwed on space limitations. I wouldn't bother with loudspeaker upgrades until you have somewhere to put them. That chair on the right and the equipment stand on the left are killing any potential you have for better sound. Can you move the turntable and receiver onto the center cabinet there? And maybe move the games, records, and controllers into the cabinet? If you can do that, and find another place for that chair, you might have potential for a great sound system. If you can do that, I would get a pair of Polk R700 speakers. I would also scrap the center speaker there, because it would be a liability when used with the R700s. Same with the sub- don't try to run that sub with the R700s, it would do more harm than good. I would also even considering just taking out the surround speakers at that point, so the amplifier power is totally reserved for the R700 speakers. Maybe put them back up when you get a better receiver.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I hate to say it, but you are kind of screwed on space limitations. I wouldn't bother with loudspeaker upgrades until you have somewhere to put them. That chair on the right and the equipment stand on the left are killing any potential you have for better sound. Can you move the turntable and receiver onto the center cabinet there? And maybe move the games, records, and controllers into the cabinet? If you can do that, and find another place for that chair, you might have potential for a great sound system. If you can do that, I would get a pair of Polk R700 speakers. I would also scrap the center speaker there, because it would be a liability when used with the R700s. Same with the sub- don't try to run that sub with the R700s, it would do more harm than good. I would also even considering just taking out the surround speakers at that point, so the amplifier power is totally reserved for the R700 speakers. Maybe put them back up when you get a better receiver.
Yes you gotta build the room around the speakers not vice versa or lots of people would be stuck with satellites ..
I see tons of people on various sites asking to shoehorn big speakers into a space they won’t fit and or have a massive entertainment stand with no slots for speakers .
Cmon man what they think were a genie and can grant wishes .. ;) :D

D

dontwantone

Audiophyte
Thanks, I can move the stuff on the sides. Are they killing protentional for better sound because they are blocking space for speakers, or because they would be too close to the speakers?

The Polk R700 are more expensive than I was initially considering but I could see starting with them and upgrading / adding onto them when we have a better home theater space.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks, I can move the stuff on the sides. Are they killing protentional for better sound because they are blocking space for speakers, or because they would be too close to the speakers?

The Polk R700 are more expensive than I was initially considering but I could see starting with them and upgrading / adding onto them when we have a better home theater space.
The turntable shelf is so close to the speakers that it is a major diffraction/reflection point. Bad for acoustics. Since the chair is upholstered, that would absorb a lot of the sound waves and shouldn't be a serious diffraction or reflection point. But yes, they are also blocking space that you could have for a killer set of tower speakers.

A really good set of speakers that is on a great sale right now is the HECO Aurora 1000s. It doesn't quite have the bass extension of the Polk R700s but are nearly as good in most other respects. Review here. With the Polks, you wouldn't need to add a subwoofer at all. In fact, they would do bass better than most cheap subs. The bass extension on the HECO speakers is OK. You might give the HECO speakers a try, and if you feel that you want more powerful deep bass, add a BIC Acoustech PL-300 (or two if you like massive deep bass).

Again, you will really want to ditch your current center speaker when you have left and rights as good as the HECOs. I would ditch the surrounds as well. Just go with really good 2.0 or 2.1, that will sound worlds better than middling surround sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis