Upgrading from 2008 receivers

H

Hellerjon

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to buy a new receiver as my Yamaha RX-V1800 from 2008 doesn’t do quite what I need anymore. I have a nice 75” Samsung 4k tv with a 7.2 setup with all in wall Revel speakers.
I had purchased a device from ViewHD to Send my 4K Roku to split the audio and video since previously if I plugged the Roku directly into my tv, I could only get optical out (so this device allows me to get Dolby Digital+ while sending a 4K HDR signal To my TV. However a lot of times it looses the HDMI handshake and I have to reset things.
Anyways, I’ve been mostly happy with my 13 year old receiver however I’m looking to get something of slightly better quality that can also process Atmos.

I only stream content so even my live tv I can get from a streaming device so therefore I really don’t need many hdmi inputs.
My Yamaha was a $1200 receiver when I bought it but with newer technologies and inflation I’m not sure which price range I should consider to make a new purchase worth it.

in a nutshell, I want something to process 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos and I’m willing to spend a little on this, but I don’t want to spend more on something where I’m not taking advantage of the capabilities.

any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jon

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to buy a new receiver as my Yamaha RX-V1800 from 2008 doesn’t do quite what I need anymore. I have a nice 75” Samsung 4k tv with a 7.2 setup with all in wall Revel speakers.
I had purchased a device from ViewHD to Send my 4K Roku to split the audio and video since previously if I plugged the Roku directly into my tv, I could only get optical out (so this device allows me to get Dolby Digital+ while sending a 4K HDR signal To my TV. However a lot of times it looses the HDMI handshake and I have to reset things.
Anyways, I’ve been mostly happy with my 13 year old receiver however I’m looking to get something of slightly better quality that can also process Atmos.

I only stream content so even my live tv I can get from a streaming device so therefore I really don’t need many hdmi inputs.
My Yamaha was a $1200 receiver when I bought it but with newer technologies and inflation I’m not sure which price range I should consider to make a new purchase worth it.

in a nutshell, I want something to process 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos and I’m willing to spend a little on this, but I don’t want to spend more on something where I’m not taking advantage of the capabilities.

any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

thanks,

jon
Welcome to AH,

I understand that you have been satisfied with the Yamaha AVR. I would recommend that you look at the RX-A1080 or the RX-A2080 which are very well built AVRs which have all the features you are looking for. This brand is reported as having the best reliability among all popular brands:

H

Hellerjon

Audiophyte
I have had success with Yamaha in the past but I’m not married to them. I’ve always been a fan of Denon/Marantz and the Sound United brands. Essentially I want to ensure that if I spend the money that I’ll notice the improvement.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have had success with Yamaha in the past but I’m not married to them. I’ve always been a fan of Denon/Marantz and the Sound United brands. Essentially I want to ensure that if I spend the money that I’ll notice the improvement.
You will not notice any audio improvement by using either a more recent Yamaha or one of the Denon/Marantz AV receivers. The specs of those brand products are quite similar and any disparities between them are so marginal that the human ear cannot detect them, providing that they operate within their normal designed limits. That applies to all brands of well designed audio products which also include these three brands.

Should you opt for a D & M product, I would recommend either the Denon AVR-X3600H or the AVR-X4500H. One of these AVRs would be a good contender along the similar Yamaha Avantage products.. Here is a serious review on the X3600H that proves its excellent performance:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look to a new avr as primarily being about the features/connectivity upgrade rather than a particular sound quality improvement. The dsp/room eq is probably the biggest difference between Yamaha and Denon/Marantz.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you are looking for sound improvement you would normally obtain it with better speakers, better room acoustics and if necessary, good room correction equalization.

H

Hellerjon

Audiophyte
I'd look to a new avr as primarily being about the features/connectivity upgrade rather than a particular sound quality improvement. The dsp/room eq is probably the biggest difference between Yamaha and Denon/Marantz.
So which do you feel has the best digital sound processing and room EQ?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Denon/Marantz line has the better Audyssey XT32 if you want to use room EQ with the optional Editor App.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So which do you feel has the best digital sound processing and room EQ?
I like Audyssey XT32 for the room eq (Dirac and Trinnov I'd also think would be quite good, but that tends to cost quite a bit more). They all have different flavors of dsp modes to an extent, but mainly employ industry standards from Dolby and DTS etc. There has been some restrictions lately by Dolby as Gene mentions in this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-music

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis