Upgrading av receiver.

C

Cicchetto

Audiophyte
Hi, I decided to upgrade my av receiver since I recently purchased new speakers.
I have the:
Klipsch RP8000F as front's.
Klipsch SW120 sub.
Klipsch RP504c center.
Klipsch RP502S surrounds
I'm buying 4 ceiling speakers for atmos and 1more sub.

I currently have the onkyo TX-SR444 which is not satisfying especially for 2 channel music.
Thinking of a separate but I have a limited budget, I'm getting a Marantz av7703 as preamp wich I find used for 900$(do you think it's a good deal) and I like to know which amp you suggest I was thinking a 3 channel amp for the front set a 2 channel amp for surrounds and a 4 for atmos or one big multichannel amp.
Any suggestions for the amp?
What kind of

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well...those 8000’s are pretty easy to drive. So I would look at a midrange AVR, and a better sub. IMO, an amp won’t help you here. Unless you’re listening wide open ALL the time. Sell the 120sw you currently have and upgrade it. My hunch is the 8000’s have more dynamic capabilities than that sub.
What are you looking at for top speakers? That’s a place to save a little bit.

C

Cicchetto

Audiophyte
Well...those 8000’s are pretty easy to drive. So I would look at a midrange AVR, and a better sub. IMO, an amp won’t help you here. Unless you’re listening wide open ALL the time. Sell the 120sw you currently have and upgrade it. My hunch is the 8000’s have more dynamic capabilities than that sub.
What are you looking at for top speakers? That’s a place to save a little bit.
Thanks!

Any suggestion on a sub?

I already purchased the preamp that's why I was looking at the amp

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks!

Any suggestion on a sub?

I already purchased the preamp that's why I was looking at the amp
You're likely not going to hear any difference with a new amp, but upgrading that sub will make a difference. I think a good AVR would be plenty. Your speakers are pretty sensitive which means they can get plenty loud with little power. What kind of budget do you have for a sub? How big is the room, and is it open to other rooms?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi, I decided to upgrade my av receiver since I recently purchased new speakers.
I have the:
Klipsch RP8000F as front's.
Klipsch SW120 sub.
Klipsch RP504c center.
Klipsch RP502S surrounds
I'm buying 4 ceiling speakers for atmos and 1more sub.

I currently have the onkyo TX-SR444 which is not satisfying especially for 2 channel music.
Thinking of a separate but I have a limited budget, I'm getting a Marantz av7703 as preamp wich I find used for 900$(do you think it's a good deal) and I like to know which amp you suggest I was thinking a 3 channel amp for the front set a 2 channel amp for surrounds and a 4 for atmos or one big multichannel amp.
Any suggestions for the amp?
What kind of
Normally I would applaud the pre/pro purchase and I still like it, but for 9 channels (5.1.4) of amplification you would've been better off buying an AVR instead of the AV7703 and supplementing the AVR with a power amp for your atmos speakers.

As it is now, you will likely need to buy more than one amp or a 9 ch AVR.

The sub is the weak link in your system...If you want to take your HT system to the next level, when funds permit, I would sell the Sw120 and buy a couple of HSU subs or SVS, (several other brands)...I would put that ahead of buying atmos speakers.

Atmos is nice, but it's something that you have to seek out. If you stream most of your movie content, you won't find much out there. If you're okay building a physical atmos library, the titles are growing.

C

Cicchetto

Audiophyte
You're likely not going to hear any difference with a new amp, but upgrading that sub will make a difference. I think a good AVR would be plenty. Your speakers are pretty sensitive which means they can get plenty loud with little power. What kind of budget do you have for a sub? How big is the room, and is it open to other rooms?
The budget is 600/700 for 2 subs
The room is 30x24 feet
Its open to the hallway to the bedrooms.
Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems you're spending too much on the pre-amp/amps the way you're going and cheaping out on the subs for such a huge room. IMO.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd get an avr to start rather than the pre-pro and variety of amps....your speakers are relatively sensitive and don't require a lot of power and many avrs in 2ch mode will be just fine power-wise. I'd think something like an mid/upper level avr over your 444 would be in order, tho (and an avr with pre-outs for all channels rather than just the sub to give you amp flexibility). Subs need not match by brand to the speakers at all....I'd look at a couple 15s or 18s for a room that size myself, and I'd look at Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, Monolith over anything Klipsch has.

ps this article may help https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis