Upgrade towers or sub?

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
I'm looking for some advice on what to upgrade first in my setup.
I'm currently running a Harman Kardon AVR3600 and my front and rears are very old, small JBL speakers. I had upgraded my center channel to a Klipsch ICON VC25 a few years ago and an pretty happy with it.

My issue is that I have gone through a few subs, Likely because I'm trying to make up for the small front speakers. I currently have a Velodyne CHT-10. My room is fairly large, with vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors. It is also open to the rest of the house.

My sub has recently started cutting out very often unless i have it set really low so Im wondering if I should buy another better sub like a Klipsch SPL-100 or R120SW, or if maybe I'm better off getting a set of towers for now instead for now.

Not sure what direction to go or what towers could be reasonably priced and do a good enough job to not be dying for a sub imediatly.

Thanks!

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Definitely a Subwoofer. Rythmik, Power Sound Audio or JTR.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm looking for some advice on what to upgrade first in my setup.
I'm currently running a Harman Kardon AVR3600 and my front and rears are very old, small JBL speakers. I had upgraded my center channel to a Klipsch ICON VC25 a few years ago and an pretty happy with it.

My issue is that I have gone through a few subs, Likely because I'm trying to make up for the small front speakers. I currently have a Velodyne CHT-10. My room is fairly large, with vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors. It is also open to the rest of the house.

My sub has recently started cutting out very often unless i have it set really low so Im wondering if I should buy another better sub like a Klipsch SPL-100 or R120SW, or if maybe I'm better off getting a set of towers for now instead for now.

Not sure what direction to go or what towers could be reasonably priced and do a good enough job to not be dying for a sub imediatly.

Thanks!
what is your budget?

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
I was hoping to stay under 600 can.
I know it’s not much when it comes to this maybe a little more if it was a set of towers.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I was hoping to stay under 600 can.
I know it’s not much when it comes to this maybe a little more if it was a set of towers.
Yeah, with a budget like that you should probably just upgrade your subwoofer. If you had $1500-$2500 I would say upgrade speakers and sub. SVS, HSU make great subs in that price range.

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
Yeah, with a budget like that you should probably just upgrade your subwoofer. If you had $1500-$2500 I would say upgrade speakers and sub. SVS, HSU make great subs in that price range.
I tried looking at svs online, but their prices aren’t on their site.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s a tough budget. What are the old JBL’s?
I would consider two sub1200 from Dayton. They’re 150ea.

These towers 150pr.

450 bucks for two subs and a pair of decent budget towers. Not sure about CAN pricing but should be worth a look.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I tried looking at svs online, but their prices aren’t on their site.
If you hover over the Subwoofer tab it shows the sub and the price with it.

Here is their $500 subwoofer.

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
If you hover over the Subwoofer tab it shows the sub and the price with it.

Here is their $500 subwoofer.
Hovering doesn't work for me. I'm on a chromebook and phone so maybe that's the issue.

There is a sale on the following that I could also get locally. Thoughts?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Klipsch just recently started making subs that perform okay so you gotta be careful what you buy from them. SVS is excellent, tho it'd be nice to know what you're paying for them...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You said Canada. From previous conversations, I would steer you toward paradigm Defiance, as they are built up there. :)
Stop, please, shooting for cheap subwoofers. You will only achieve the same outcome, again. Turn the tables.

How large is your room? Volume wise. That pb1000, for example, won’t do you much good in a 5000’3 room.

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
The room itself is around 30 feet long, by 16 wide with vaulted ceilings, but it only has 3 walls, it's open to the rest of the house. I'm very interested in the HSU VTF2 MK5 as an option. I'll just have to check the shipping costs to get it up here. I love Paradigm. They are my dream setup, but very very expensive.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you know how high your Cathedral ceiling is, at the wall and at the peak?

Just some quick number crunching, assuming a 4' peak and 8' walls would put your room volume at near 5000'3! And you say its open to other space, as well.

This is a good read:

Now I know you don't have to Pressurize the full space, and creative placement can go a long way in helping you out. But... consider that you do need to look at something with more firepower!

Buy the best single sub you can allow your self to afford, now. Then plan for, and start saving for a second.
If you do it right, you won't need to replace your Subs for a much longer time.

D

Dcara

Enthusiast
It’s vaulted from 8 feet too about 17 feet. It’s open to the second floor and the rest of the house. Can’t upload pics as they are too large.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Sounds like you will need to limit your bass a bit or try nearfield placement. Or it will get really expensive fast.

Why going for towers and not larger bookshelf speakers?
Towers are better but much more expensive so often a good idea to go for well sized bookshelves + sub(s) where you can spend a bit more on the sub(s) instead of tower added expense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The room itself is around 30 feet long, by 16 wide with vaulted ceilings, but it only has 3 walls, it's open to the rest of the house. I'm very interested in the HSU VTF2 MK5 as an option. I'll just have to check the shipping costs to get it up here. I love Paradigm. They are my dream setup, but very very expensive.
Oh lord, you need more than a single PB1000! A pair of Hsu VTF-2s are a move in the right direction. I don't think the (or a pair) VTF-3 MK5s would be overdoing it for your room.

From what I understand tho, shipping to Canadia might be costly. Ryan suggested Paradigm. They're pretty good and at least local.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis