K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Ok, I seem to have a problem continuing to look at Amps specifically I don't really need right now..... but am somehow fascinated by AMPs. I admit,,, I have a problem.

Smart strategy would be to own nothing that isn't in use in any of our systems in the house. Sell what's not being used and save for when something breaks....

Do you have a rule of thumb to any of the following:
-Do you only buy a new amp/avr/speakers if they are clearly better than what you have? If so, makes sense. To me anything that replaces something I have as an upgrade is fair game. But something you buy that goes straight to the closet should be a no no really. But do as I say not what I'm considering doing :)
-Do you have a $ amount you would buy a used AMP that if more of a "For Fun" or "I just want to see what those sound like" purchase? Ex. I'm considering a $450 AMP that's 7X150. However, smart thing would just be put that money away and buy a Monolith 7 if any of my AMPS go out later. I kind of think $300 or under is kind of fun money, higher than that is more uncomfortable

Curious how you approach this crazy habit!

Steve

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why amps instead of speakers? Amplifilia is a serious disorder :)

I buy power amps as needed. Same for avrs, possibly goosed by the need of a particular feature. Been a while now, tho I did pick up an extra power amp for subs a few months ago, a price I couldn't refuse :) Gonna donate one of my extra less useful amps (too noisy) to a friend's distillery for live music events to compensate :)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for your reply. I really can't say why I'm more fascinated by power amps than speakers. It's hard to say for sure

I know all say that speakers are what makes the SQ and that's likely true. I have a JBL 590, Infinity, and Polk set up. (3 rooms 3 set ups) So nothing too fancy on the speaker side but they sound good.

2nd on my list would be subwoofers though. My best pickup so far has been a Rythmik F15HP used and I love that thing. Would love to find another one of those or maybe the double decker version... Wow… Granted like AMPs at some point there is probably more bass than a room needs...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was fascinated by power amps at one point but after I realized they're not all that exciting/meaningful beyond a tool for the job....I won't be running short anytime soon let's say.

I have a full set of the Studio 5s myself in one room. Room and speaker combo definitely more important than amp tho.

Good subwoofage is nice. That's where several of my power amps are working now, on my diy sub builds.....and several I just run off a single channel rather than my original plan of bridged as I simply don't listen that loud any more....that helped cut down on amp purchasing :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I always buy electronics and speakers only .... if ...... they .... are .... needed. :eek: :D

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, for example, reading your longer post on trying out a Crown AMP is making me want to pick one and try it out... Yes I already have amps on my systems... But I might really need to try this out now :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis