superman180

superman180

Audioholic
I am trying to decide on a receiver to upgrade my home theater system with, my budget for this is upgrade is around the 800.00 dollar range. I am seriously looking at the RX-V 2400, I have read the review on this site and it look very appealing, however I have one question is there a 2 channel function that allows you to use a powered sub, I do not have very large front speakers and without the sub listing to 2 channel music will not be the same. And is this receiver a good choice in this price range? Any advice or comment will be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I am 99% sure that when you set your front speakers to 'small' the low frequencies that would normally go to those speakers, instead are directed to the sub output and your powered sub.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Regardless of the speaker size setting a signal will be sent to the sub using the straight setting as well as 2 channel stereo. The only setting that does not use the sub is direct mode.

If you are serious about the 2400 which is a great unit. Act fast. With the price cuts on them they are disappearing fast.

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
Since you mention the 2 channel AND the straight mode.

Can you please explain the difference?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
2 channel allows the input signal to be sent thru the processing circuitry,(primarily equalization) straight bypasses it. (both use the sub-woofer). Pretty much a matter of personal taste and speaker capability. Personally on my 1500, as I have old, old, old floor standers w/ 10" woofers that just won't die, I prefer direct stereo or pure direct. The addition of the subs with 2 channel music makes the sound way too bass heavy.
The manual gives a pretty good description of the different sound fields. Easy to download at tha Yamaha site.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I prefer direct stereo without the sub also. I have a 1400 with MB Quart speakers that only have 2x6.5's & a tweeter. I have an NHT powered 12". I only use the sub for 5.1 DVD concerts & movies. The mains just sound better in full range to me. The bass is flat, but it sounds great!

Oh, & the Yamaha is a great choice. Why not get the 2500 for just a few more dollars. Price I found was $719.48 for the 2500, & $666.55 for the 2400.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis