P

pablo1gr

Enthusiast
So this is my current home theater set up: Pioneer 5.1 sp-pk52fs andrew jhones
Shu vtf2 mk4 sub
Pioneer vsx 1021 So i was thinking where to star upgrating in the future, and it occure to me that the best way to spend my money would be on a av receivers with pre outs. I live in mexico and top of the line equipment is seldom avalible and when it is the mark up is unresonable. So I ve been looking into vintage amplifiers, now we have a tone of those from a golden era before the mp3 and the cheap LG ht in a box. my thinking is that an Amp is an Amp, i never changes rigth, its only job is to amplify the signal, so it would interfere with all the new codecs, thats why i have the av receiver for. So first i get the av receiver, taht dont have ( and most likely it wont) have a big watt rating, my pioneer is in reality puting out aboute 46 watts per channel, so almos any av reciver will do as long as i can get pre outs, then later i can look for a good old Amp, there are many stereo amps, so ill buy one to power my fron speakers while the Av receivers power the rest of the system, then later down the road ill get another stero amp to just drive my center channel and let the av receiver deal with sourand that are the leas powe hungry speakers on the line up. doea this make sense? Is it a good path for better sound? The speakers are fine i guess they will alway sound good they cant go obsolete, so the ony part i can think to upgrade ptogesivly while still having a working system in the preoses is to doit this way, what do you can say?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
First question is do you really need to upgrade or do you just want to? Is your system providing a satisfying sound quality at adequate volume?

If you need more amplification, your idea seems reasonable. You can keep the power amplifiers forever and just change out the receiver when you need new features.

Typically, the advice is that new speakers will do more for your sound than new amplifiers. That advice assumes that you currently have adequate power for your system. If you are trying to fill a large space, consider a second subwoofer.

Jim

P

pablo1gr

Enthusiast
Hi jim, thaks for the post, i want to upgrade just because ive read that better amp will get you better sound. I guess the real question then would be, will the sound improve if i upgrede to better morr poewerful amps? So far the im happy with the sound i get, i guess to do tje fact is the only system iv heard so far, heare in mexico is hard to find a place that will let you adution a hifi system, ive only read aboute the sound never have i hear a $20k set of speakers. So you think with the speakers i have, a more powerful or cleaner power will help to get the most put of my speakers or the change will be marginal?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to burst your bubble but upgrading the amp will have a minimal affect on the sound. To get "better sound", you'll need to get "better" speakers.

A more powerful receiver may get you a bit more headroom but as for significantly improving the sound, well...

A good reason to upgrade the receiver might be to get some features that weren't available when you bought yours, like HDMI and auto-sound correction buy yours seems to have that already.

P

pablo1gr

Enthusiast
Yeha its tru i just read somany people saying that their speakers came to life after hooking some amp that it just medme wana expirience that.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Is this your receiver? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1021-k_OperatingInstructions020711.pdf

If so, it seems to be a bit more powerful than you say.

something else to keep in mind is that in an AV environment, it's rare that more than one or two channels are driven simultaneously so more power is available. True, if you drive all channels to their maximum output on a constant basis, your power to each will be less, but that' very, very rare.

For more on this, read this article. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-all-channels-driven-amplifier-test-controversy

Also, while your speakers are nice, I don't think they really like gobs of power on a consistent basis..

P

pablo1gr

Enthusiast
yes that is my ac receiver, i red a review fron soubd and vision and on the test bech it came out to be 46 wats at 5 channels driven, but i see your point. Your saying i should saty where i am as long as i dont upgrade to speakers that are more demnding.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
yes that is my ac receiver, i red a review fron soubd and vision and on the test bech it came out to be 46 wats at 5 channels driven, but i see your point. Your saying i should saty where i am as long as i dont upgrade to speakers that are more demnding.
That pretty much sums it up. You really don't need to upgrade with those speakers. Read that second link for a better explanation.

Now, if you just WANT to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody here will fault you for that. A lot of us here are guilty of that on occasion. ;)

P

pablo1gr

Enthusiast
Jaja thanls for the encurgments but i think ill stik with my system for a cuple years. Thanks for the help

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, stick around. You'll fit in fine and you could learn a lot and maybe have some fun here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis