Upgrade options from svs pb13 ultra?

A

Abs

Enthusiast
Evening, first post. Hoping I can get some feedback regarding my situation. I've had my pb13 (bash amp) for 11 years and it's served me very well. I've tried to get hold of a used second pb13 without joy. So my other options are,

A/ keep the pb13 and upgrade the bash amp to the latest sledge in the 4000, and buy a pb4000.

B/ Keep the pb13 and get 2 x pb3000s

C/ if I end up selling the pb13 get 2 x pb3000 or at a push 2 x pb16 ultra..

The room is a dedicated room, no sound treatment, approx 30ft x 12 x 8ft.

The attached pics show where the dual subs would go at the front beneath the screen and the pb13 at the rear in front of the main seating area at the back facing into the room. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Evening, first post. Hoping I can get some feedback regarding my situation. I've had my pb13 (bash amp) for 11 years and it's served me very well. I've tried to get hold of a used second pb13 without joy. So my other options are,

A/ keep the pb13 and upgrade the bash amp to the latest sledge in the 4000, and buy a pb4000.

B/ Keep the pb13 and get 2 x pb3000s

C/ if I end up selling the pb13 get 2 x pb3000 or at a push 2 x pb16 ultra..

The room is a dedicated room, no sound treatment, approx 30ft x 12 x 8ft.

The attached pics show where the dual subs would go at the front beneath the screen and the pb13 at the rear in front of the main seating area at the back facing into the room. Thanks in advance.
Two PB16-Ultras would be killer for sure. However, the PB-4000 is very close to the PB13-Ultra, so the most sensible thing to do is just complement your PB13-Ultra with a PB-4000.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Two Power Sound Audio TV1812
Or
Two Rythmik FV18PC

I used to own a PB16 ultra and I now have a TV1812, huge upgrade in ULF and mid-bass and best of all, no more port chuffing.

A

Abs

Enthusiast
Or
Two Rythmik FV18PC

I used to own a PB16 ultra and I now have a TV1812, huge upgrade in ULF and mid-bass and best of all, no more port chuffing.
Thanks, they're very hard to get hold of in the UK and getting them shipped over from the states would be very expensive.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Thanks, they're very hard to get hold of in the UK and getting them shipped over from the states would be very expensive.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
I would look at XTZ or Arendal if you are in the UK.

A

Abs

Enthusiast
I think I might be looking at 2 pb3000 s and keep my pb13 but upgrade the amp to the 4000 and place them like in the image. Will there be issues with phase etc?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think I might be looking at 2 pb3000 s and keep my pb13 but upgrade the amp to the 4000 and place them like in the image. Will there be issues with phase etc?
If you do get 2 PB-3000s to go with your PB13, I would set the PB13 to run with all ports open with the corresponding amp configuration. When you set up different ported subs, you want the port tuning frequencies to be as close to each other as possible.

A

Abs

Enthusiast
If you do get 2 PB-3000s to go with your PB13, I would set the PB13 to run with all ports open with the corresponding amp configuration. When you set up different ported subs, you want the port tuning frequencies to be as close to each other as possible.

Thanks, I've always run the pb13 with the ports open. So there shouldn't be an issue with the pb13 being at the back infront of the mlp? Provided all are tuned etc

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks, I've always run the pb13 with the ports open. So there shouldn't be an issue with the pb13 being at the back infront of the mlp? Provided all are tuned etc
The optimal positioning is hard to tell. The thing to do is get a measurement microphone like a UMIK-1, and measure the responses of different sub positions through out the room. Place the subs in the locations that yield the overall flattest response. Anything else is just pure guessing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or
Two Rythmik FV18PC

What are you listening to and at what volume are you getting port chuff? Just curious. I have a pair of HSU VTF-3 MK5s and have only heard port chuff below 15 hz at extreme volume.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
What are you listening to and at what volume are you getting port chuff? Just curious. I have a pair of HSU VTF-3 MK5s and have only heard port chuff below 15 hz at extreme volume.
I watch movies at -5 from reference level.

The Sub trim on my X3400H is -9

DEQ is off.

Gain on the SVS app was -20 ,one port plugged in extended mode.

War of the worlds

310 to Yuma

Alien covenant

Elysium

With my PSA TV1812 I don't get any chuff and I get a huge upgrade in mid-bass slam, ULF & TR ( my couch shakes)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis