Upgrade My Denon AVR-X6400H

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I have a Home Theater with a 7.2.4 Atmos speaker system. I'm interested in going with a new Marantz 11.2 system. I just purchased a 8k Samsung 900r 82 inch TV for the video. I was hoping Marantz would come out with a 11.2 Receiver with HDMI 2.1 support. Any advice on how to proceed?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Home Theater with a 7.2.4 Atmos speaker system. I'm interested in going with a new Marantz 11.2 system. I just purchased a 8k Samsung 900r 82 inch TV for the video. I was hoping Marantz would come out with a 11.2 Receiver with HDMI 2.1 support. Any advice on how to proceed?
Unless you go for the SR8012, anything else would be a downgrade. Will you be using it as a prepro, or you plan on using all the internal amps plus a two channel external amp. If it is the latter, you should figure out your power need first, with an online spl calculator.

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I will not be using a pre-amp. I would like to go withe SR8012, but is not rated for HDMI 2.1. The Denon does handle the speaker load, but I love the sound of the Marantz and would buy the SR8012 if not for the HDMI support for required bandwidth of 48 ghz. Any ideas?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will not be using a pre-amp. I would like to go withe SR8012, but is not rated for HDMI 2.1. The Denon does handle the speaker load, but I love the sound of the Marantz and would buy the SR8012 if not for the HDMI support for required bandwidth of 48 ghz. Any ideas?
As far as I know HDMI 2.1won't be out until 2020 so if that's what you want you have to wait for the SR8013, or whatever the new number is going to be.

Only the Denon AVR-X8500H and the Marantz AV8805 are upgradable, for a fee iirc.

I have both Marantz and Denon AVRs/AVPs. By design, they are supposed to be neutral sounding in pure direct mode. Since Denon/Marantz have the same the dsp engines, ADC, DAC and the associated circuitry, they should sound the same even with dsp modes. The preamp/amps are also the same, but only Marantz AVRs/AVPs (except the slim line models) have HDAM, an extra unity gain buffer that does not change the sound, it's mainly marketing, because the theoretical benefits won't logically materialize as it is not the bottleneck. Even if it does, the difference won't be audible.

Regardless, you hear what you hear even if the difference doesn't exist because you are told it's there and are expecting it. So go for it, and you will hear the Marantz sound that is same as the Denon sound.. I hope you don't lose too much money on the Denon though. That made in Japan unit seems well build. It shares a lot of the same internal guts with the 8012, the main difference is the HDAM, other than that, the 8012 has a slightly beefier power supply.

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
As far as I know HDMI 2.1won't be out until 2020 so if that's what you want you have to wait for the SR8013, or whatever the new number is going to be.

Only the Denon AVR-X8500H and the Marantz AV8805 are upgradable, for a fee iirc.

I have both Marantz and Denon AVRs/AVPs. By design, they are supposed to be neutral sounding in pure direct mode. Since Denon/Marantz have the same the dsp engines, ADC, DAC and the associated circuitry, they should sound the same even with dsp modes. The preamp/amps are also the same, but only Marantz AVRs/AVPs (except the slim line models) have HDAM, an extra unity gain buffer that does not change the sound, it's mainly marketing, because the theoretical benefits won't logically materialize as it is not the bottleneck. Even if it does, the difference won't be audible.

Regardless, you hear what you hear even if the difference doesn't exist because you are told it's there and are expecting it. So go for it, and you will hear the Marantz sound that is same as the Denon sound.. I hope you don't lose too much money on the Denon though. That made in Japan unit seems well build. It shares a lot of the same internal guts with the 8012, the main difference is the HDAM, other than that, the 8012 has a slightly beefier power supply.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Always appreciate reading your informed commentary on these AVR's!
Thanks!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Always appreciate reading your informed commentary on these AVR's!
Thanks!
Thank you too. I wanted to convince myself to shut up when I read comments about certain sound like NAD, Marantz, HK sound (long ago on that one..) being warm, Arcam, Rotel sweet, Denon from being warm (rare, but been seen),neutral to sterile (same said about Bryston too),and Sony, Yamaha being bright...

It is hard to resist because I am curious to know why people don't seem to think logically when it comes to sound signature descriptions?

Logically speaking, for example:

Even if it was true that Marantz had a warmer sound, while that might have been the case a few years ago, but when you compare them to Denon after D&M apparently forced them to synergize, then logically speaking that can't be true any more because:

As a specific example, the only difference between the 7012 and X4400H in terms of audio performance, is the extra HDAM stage. So that can't be the bottleneck, being the last stage of the preamp; and it is not a filter or processor, it is just an unity gain buffer.

I am just an ordinary EE so ignore me please, but Dr. Rich holds a Ph.D in the EE field and he clearly stated a few times on Secrets (hometheaterhifi.com) that even the flagship Marantz AV8801/8802A would have been limited by the same preamp/vol IC found in a $250 Yamaha RX-V465. For non EE, just think logically and should be able to understand Dr. Rich's point, that if you have such a cheap noisy/and not the best THD) IC upstream, along with some Opamp ICs (and DACs in some cases),even the best discrete buffer stage like their HDAM, assuming it does have better specs than the upstream ICs) can't just miraculously improve the "sound quality" can it? Don't we all believe garbage in garbage out?

Now, to be fair, if the latest HDAM version is really great, it is not going to deteriorate the signal either. In fact, it is possible that if the HDAM fitted AVRs are used as prepros, it may do a better job resulting in SQ improvement if matched with a power amp that has lower than average input impedance and/or gain. Again, in terms of actually improved the signal, it just can't because it is design to work as a buffer stage, and in the latest version it has unity gain so all it can improve is slew rate, output impedance and perhaps output stability at the high limit.

So is it good to have HDAM onboard a Denon? Well, for those who own a X4400H (pretty sure the X4500H tooo but I haven't seen the service manual on the 208 models so I won't say for sure),if you add the HDAM board to the Denon, you will end up with a 99.999% Marantz electronically speaking.

And for those who still want to believe the so called Marantz sound vs Denon's, how about the slimline NR series that don't have HDAMs. If you compare the corresponding schematics of the NR1608/09 (iirc @Irvrobinson has and seems happy with it, they look identical to Denon's X2400H, even the output devices are the same but of course the X2400H has a larger power supply and higher rail voltage to support the higher output.

So again, what can logically explain that "Marantz/warm(er)" sound if the designs were even identical or near identical and both claimed the same audio specs that are supposed to mean both are design to be neutral and accurate?

I should note that years ago, might have joined AH already at the time, I did write about how sweet sounding the ARCAM AVR300 was, but I did not have the knowledge I have gained since, via bench test data and by reading many publicly available service manuals that typically include parts list and schematic diagrams. So, I wasn't never immune, but it just add to my belief that Placebo and expectation bias do work, to me anyway, aside from the obviously unreliable results from sighted comparison sessions without even level matching.

Last edited:
M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
Wow, that's a lot of information. If I'm interpreting properly, you would not upgrade the AVR-X6400H. I really appreciate your opinion. I am no expert, I just enjoy the home theater sound. Not looking to throw money out the window. So just leave things the way they are?
Thanks,
Marc

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, that's a lot of information. If I'm interpreting properly, you would not upgrade the AVR-X6400H. I really appreciate your opinion. I am no expert, I just enjoy the home theater sound. Not looking to throw money out the window. So just leave things the way they are?
Thanks,
Marc
To be clear, my comments about why people wouldn't think it out logically on the sound signature thing was not directed at you. It is just my general feeling. And from your responses, you seem open minded. As I mentioned, years ago I used to believe those bs too, but now, like @lovinthehd , @AcuDefTechGuy, after spending tons of money and switching gear so many times, we know better.. It's up to you to either go ahead and follow our paths, or do your own research on related topics, just please try your best to pick the credible ones as the internet is flooded with false information. You seem open minded, and I wish you luck on your upgrade journey.

I would definitely not "upgrade" from the X6400H to a SR8012 because the only gain will be a slightly larger power supply that would amount to less than 1 dB of spl, and as you already know, the 8012 will get outdated, to those want to keep up with the keep changing HDMI and HDCP bs.. Upgrading to separates such as the AV7705, AV8805, or the AVR-X8500H would be a different story because you would gain some features, better specs (won't necessary mean better audible sound quality),and 13 channel processing vs 11, and of course the latter two are upgradable to the upcoming 8K capable HDMI 2.1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm with Peng, don't see any reason to change, especially for HDMI 2.1....you big on using ARC down the line? What do you mean you love the sound of Marantz? You directly compared properly the Denon vs some particular Marantz unit?

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
If I wait till HDMI 2.1 comes out January 2020. What av receiver would you recommend for best sound and effect for watching movie - atmos, imax, DTX, and all the new sound formats, with plenty of output for 11.2 system. I respect your opinion.

Thanks for all time and knowledge,

Marc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I wait till HDMI 2.1 comes out January 2020. What av receiver would you recommend for best sound and effect for watching movie - atmos, imax, DTX, and all the new sound formats, with plenty of output for 11.2 system. I respect your opinion.

Thanks for all time and knowledge,

Marc
I chose Denon and Onkyo over Marantz in the past...pricing on Marantz tended to be higher for same feature set, I attribute to marketing reasons. I would stay with your 6400. What do you expect from HDMI 2.1 particularly?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah man, that 6400 is a very good receiver. I get the impression you might be trying to squeeze a little more sound quality out of your speakers? More or different power won't get you there. Playing around with placement, toe in or even acoustic treatments can help. Aside from that any real upgrade to your actual sound quality is gonna have to come in the form of better speakers or subwoofer(s).

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
The 2.1 HDMI upgrade is primarily for the TV. Without the upgrade the av receiver will be a bottleneck in the 8K TV's resolution. So when the new av receivers come out what would be the best chose from any manufacturer you would recommend, with an auto adjustment setting system. I am not a pro at this, but I want the very best system without further upgrades. This will have to last for a good amount of time, so I don't want to go cheap, but not stupid. You guys know alot more about this than I do, help me out. What the best way to proceed in January.

Help

Marc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 2.1 HDMI upgrade is primarily for the TV. Without the upgrade the av receiver will be a bottleneck in the 8K TV's resolution. So when the new av receivers come out what would be the best chose from any manufacturer you would recommend, with an auto adjustment setting system. I am not a pro at this, but I want the very best system without further upgrades. This will have to last for a good amount of time, so I don't want to go cheap, but not stupid. You guys know alot more about this than I do, help me out. What the best way to proceed in January.

Help

Marc
My advice is not to worry about 8k yet, it hardly exists (at least in the US, think Japan has some). They barely have 4k going. There is no such thing as no further upgrades, not at least not for the last buncha years :). When 4k first came out there were a lot of issues without a mature technology...and I still don't consider 4k mature.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It would be more helpful to hear your actual thoughts than just thanks....just what are you aiming at for now/down the line? With what other gear? I mean if you want future proof just looking at consumer electronics is probably not the way to go, but rather professional theater gear.

M

mlichtenfield

Enthusiast
I a 7.2.4 Revel Porforma 3 speaker layout. I have a higheng Samsung large screen TV. You mentioned professional gear. Is their higher end AVR I should be considering?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I a 7.2.4 Revel Porforma 3 speaker layout. I have a higheng Samsung large screen TV. You mentioned professional gear. Is their higher end AVR I should be considering?
While I consider Revel good home stuff, think some JBL is beyond with their pro gear (like the M2). Speakers/dsp are pretty much SOTA now, future speaker tech may change that...but has little to do with particular codecs/speaker placement. What tv do you have?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis