K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I have been thinking about upgrading my speakers recently. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should be looking for.

Receiver: Denon x1400h
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK5
Fronts/Center: Definitive Technology SM55 Bookshelfs
Surround: Definitive Technology SR9040s
Top Middle: Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000s

All suggestions appreciated!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lots of speakers out there. Not a DefTec fan myself but hard to point you to something particular without more information in any case. Nice sub, tho!

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Lots of speakers out there. Not a DefTec fan myself but hard to point you to something particular without more information in any case. Nice sub, tho!
The sub is fabulous! What other info would you need?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you can have access to one or two specialized audio shops in a large city, I recommend that you go and listen to several speakers within or slightly above your planned budget.
That would be the best way to appreciate the ones that you prefer and make a good purchase. Bring along one or two of your CDs to help you compare the products.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
what is it you find lacking with your current setup ?, what is your room size ?

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
what is it you find lacking with your current setup ?, what is your room size ?
I feel like the center, when playing near or at reference, is harsh/boomy for voices. Surrounds seem hard to hear during scenes where lots of surround should occur. I have checked all the levels with a spl meter. My room is 9ft x 19ft.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The sub is fabulous! What other info would you need?
A budget for the most part. What other speakers have you experienced? Info about listening levels, your distance from speakers could be helpful.

With your current setup have you maximized placement of your speakers, particularly the center?

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
A budget for the most part. What other speakers have you experienced? Info about listening levels, your distance from speakers could be helpful.

With your current setup have you maximized placement of your speakers, particularly the center?
I would go with around $1,000 for any upgrade I would be doing. Haven’t really heard anything else before. I use the auto calibrate then use my spl meter to get each speaker to 75db. When watching a movie I play it around -10db to 0db depending on the Blu-ray. Some are louder then others. I have two rows, the first row is around 5-6ft and the second row is around 9ft away.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You were thinking about L/R or a new set across the front for $1k? Or?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc, which I sometimes don’t lol, I think pogre used to have some small Def techs. Went to ultra BS speakers after that and loved them before moving to ultra towers, then ascends. Unfortunately our friend has been quiet for awhile and probably just busy listen to his system lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis