Upgrade HDMI cables?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is why the law actually needs to be that units above a certain price threshold, be made with at least automotive grade components.

Hate to tell ya but automotive grade varies just as much as audio gear. Same complaints from older guys about analog cars as with audio to an extent, too. Expecting a car to last a very long time is somewhat a dream for most consumers, let alone paying for prescribed maintenance to help that along.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
The law is 7 years, but manufacturers of electronics, have an out. This is because most ICs, only ever have one production run, as each set up costs millions. It is hard to predict the repair needs. ICs have almost universally had too low production runs, and usually run out at the end of the final products production run, and many units as a result can never be repaired once that unit is obsolete. This is another disgrace of modern manufacture.

That is why the law actually needs to be that units above a certain price threshold, be made with at least automotive grade components.

There is way to high a premature failure rate of domestic AV gear. What is required is a five year model replacement cycle at least, and much high quality components used. New models every year of complex equipment is just nuts, and willow lead to increasing grief, and there is plenty of that to go around already.
Oh I here ya it took a lot of badgering to get them to look into mine and many calls to there service techs too before they admitted to a problem with these boards . Now I don’t know what the law actually states but it mabey 7 years on the books but more than one person told me they keep stuff on hand for 10 years mabey that was just them doing that . They knew of this issue earlier than they admitted because of recalling all the units for this would have been very expensive I guess . The majority of people would have never knew this issue unless they dug it up .that’s on the manufacturer’s for not letting customers know . And from what I’ve read here and other places heck there still doing it with these new models and there hdmi problems .

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
eBay: I ordered and paid for a DVD, seller is in Greece, never received the order and got NO help from eBay.. FakeBook: ordered and paid for a wine bottle opener, never received it. Mark Fuckerberg invented FakeBook to sell advertising but if one actually tries to buy anything from those advertisers, good luck.
I have been using eBay for well over a decade now and have had almost no issues. I am very careful to ensure that I only buy gear that is 'new' or listed as 'used'. Anything listed as 'parts' means that you have no return and no recourse. But, I get a lot of gear that I know can be problematic and I test it the second it comes into my home (more or less). If it doesn't test as good I open a trouble ticket with eBay. They've gotten very good at tracking packages into their system and they really do a lot more for the consumers now from what I've heard. But, I would be cautious of what I buy.

I buy: Universal Remotes (buttons are sometimes bad, sometimes the code won't load to them), amplifiers (sometimes channels are bad), switches (so far, so good!), connectors, weird cables, video extenders (sometimes they just don't work), projector mounts (awesome), etc.

I won't say that eBay is like buying at your local store, but I will say that when I've had issues, I have NEVER not received a refund. Even recently I had gone past the 30 day return window, but the seller accepted my return and refunded me my money. They didn't even want the part back. I threw it away. Such is life. Just my two cents and sucks about your VCR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I won't say that eBay is like buying at your local store, but I will say that when I've had issues, I have NEVER not received a refund. Even recently I had gone past the 30 day return window, but the seller accepted my return and refunded me my money. They didn't even want the part back. I threw it away. Such is life. Just my two cents and sucks about your VCR.
I had a similar experience with a pair of speakers I bought when I first started getting back into audio. One of the speakers had a blown driver so I contacted the seller first. I was immediately refunded the money and was told to keep the speakers. In my experience established sellers on ebay are pretty quick to "make it right" and avoid going through eBay to avoid any negative reviews. They live or die by their ratings and often willing to go the extra mile to avoid a negative one.

Always check their ratings and how many they have. I'm pretty confident buying from eBay if a seller has high ratings and a lot of them, but they also have some pretty good protection in place in general for buyers.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I bought my two carver Tfm-35x’s from eBay but I was selective in purchase. Usually if the equipment is clean and no scratches I’ll contact the seller and ask about it and a return policy first .
I’ve done the same with Custom cables there’s one or two guys that I’ve bought from that do outstanding work and pretty dam cheap . There’s one guy on there that if I contact him he’ll make them up with a certain cable and rca’s and length of my choice These guys live by there ratings on eBay like @Pogre said .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been using eBay for well over a decade now and have had almost no issues. I am very careful to ensure that I only buy gear that is 'new' or listed as 'used'. Anything listed as 'parts' means that you have no return and no recourse. But, I get a lot of gear that I know can be problematic and I test it the second it comes into my home (more or less). If it doesn't test as good I open a trouble ticket with eBay. They've gotten very good at tracking packages into their system and they really do a lot more for the consumers now from what I've heard. But, I would be cautious of what I buy.

I buy: Universal Remotes (buttons are sometimes bad, sometimes the code won't load to them), amplifiers (sometimes channels are bad), switches (so far, so good!), connectors, weird cables, video extenders (sometimes they just don't work), projector mounts (awesome), etc.

Honestly he is unfair to eBay. He ordered a DVD from Greece, which is a PAL country! So unless he has a player, that has been modified to be universal, and can NEVER be connected to the Internet, the disc would have been absolutely useless to him.

When I have had a problem on eBay, they have always backed me up. When I bought a Quad 44 preamp, that had a serious undisclosed fault, I repaired it, and I applied for a refund of my labor, at customary rates. My bill was paid in full from the sellers account.

I know he is frustrated now, as his receiver is a boat anchor, and replacement units are hard to find.

He should consider used units. I understand he does not want the latest Bells and Whistles. So an older pre/pro and power amps could be a good solution, as obviously he likes to keep his equipment long. I can attest to the fact that pre/pros do have long legs. From a technical design standpoint, it would be highly surprising if they did not. It is not just a heat issue, but a power supply, supplying multiple power amps, also supplying the pre amp and processor stages, is far less than ideal from a practical and design point of view. Yes, I will say it up straight, it is a really bad idea.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Honestly he is unfair to eBay. He ordered a DVD from Greece, which is a PAL country! So unless he has a player, that has been modified to be universal, and can NEVER be connected to the Internet, the disc would have been absolutely useless to him.

When I have had a problem on eBay, they have always backed me up. When I bought a Quad 44 preamp, that had a serious undisclosed fault, I repaired it, and I applied for a refund of my labor, at customary rates. My bill was paid in full from the sellers account.

I know he is frustrated now, as his receiver is a boat anchor, and replacement units are hard to find.

He should consider used units. I understand he does not want the latest Bells and Whistles. So an older pre/pro and power amps could be a good solution, as obviously he likes to keep his equipment long. I can attest to the fact that pre/pros do have long legs. From a technical design standpoint, it would be highly surprising if they did not. It is not just a heat issue, but a power supply, supplying multiple power amps, also supplying the pre amp and processor stages, is far less than ideal from a practical and design point of view. Yes, I will say it up straight, it is a really bad idea.
I am not being unfair to eBay! I tried reaching out to them that I never got my DVD, they totally ignored me! As for Greece being a PAL country, I have a player that works with PAL format! Seems a lot of sellers on eBay, like those on FaceBook, are out to make a quick buck and are scammers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm retired and would rather spend $$$ on records than extra bells & whistles I'll NEVER use (Atmos, etc) that the new AVR's cram into them.
You mean you would not use those bells and whistles to harmonize with music? That could be fun. ;) :D

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Come on, break open that piggy bank and get a Yamaha RX-A2A and Sony A80j. Pick the size that will fit in your space and call it good. Don't forget the Ultra Certified HDMI cables. Enjoy.;)
Damn skippy !!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems a lot of sellers on eBay, like those on FaceBook, are out to make a quick buck and are scammers.
That's why you avoid those with few or lower ratings. I have absolutely no hesitation buying from established buyers. I dunno what happened when you reached out to ebay but when I didn't get my cheap Chinese headphones within the window they refunded me.

Then 2 weeks later I got my headphones...

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

My AVR is out for repair, so the whole system is disconnected and I'm taking the opportunity to label all wires and cables, and replace some. I've got a 4K blu-ray player, wondering if I should upgrade that cable since the AVR will pass a 4K signal, but my current TV is not 4K (that's the next upgrade). Panasonic DP-UB820P-K blu-ray player to Yamaha RX-A1020 AVR (pass thru), to Sony Bravia 2K LCD 50". I want to be able to use the 120Hz I've seen featured on many new TV's.
If you mean 120Hz refresh rate, that has been around for almost as long as non-Plasma TV have been sold.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
There're a lot of solid sellers on ebay & stop been so cynical.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, getting back to the thread title question, you want to use HDMI cables that will handle the most capable device in the system. That would mean Premium Certified cables capable of 18gb in this case. Future proofing is never a bad idea if one is interested in 4K HDR @120 capability in the near future and getting Ultra Certified cables capable of 48gb would be necessary. Make sure cables are certified and support ethernet for future components supporting eARC.
1634400946664.png

1634400971957.png

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Come on, break open that piggy bank and get a Yamaha RX-A2A and Sony A80j. Pick the size that will fit in your space and call it good. Don't forget the Ultra Certified HDMI cables. Enjoy.;)
Well, I rolled the dice, ordered a refurbished RX-A2A for $699 from AC4L. The old RX-A1020 is off to the recycler. Will have to break the piggy bank for the $1700 Sony A80J! :eek:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well, I rolled the dice, ordered a refurbished RX-A2A for $699 from AC4L. The old RX-A1020 is off to the recycler. Will have to break the piggy bank for the $1700 Sony A80J! :eek:
Was the $200.00 you saved worth the risk of purchasing a refurbished machine. I doubt it. You will like that OLED TV I bet.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I am not being unfair to eBay! I tried reaching out to them that I never got my DVD, they totally ignored me! As for Greece being a PAL country, I have a player that works with PAL format! Seems a lot of sellers on eBay, like those on FaceBook, are out to make a quick buck and are scammers.
I would say that you definitely had a bad experience, but it certainly isn't typical of what most experience on eBay. I'm not sure how you contacted them as everytime I've used their 'report an issue' feature, I receive a fully automated email response from them that is the starting point of the process. From there I follow up quickly and ensure everything is taken care of.

I would say most selers on eBay are NOT scammers. Most are sellers trying to make an honest dollar, but certainly the buyer must always be aware of what they are purchasing and be cognizant of the time window they are working in and where things are coming from and how that impacts things. I will say that I have run into a few scams on eBay, and I learned what to avoid when I buy. Unrealistically low buy-it-now pricing is a good indicator of a scam, as are new users without any feedback.

But, there are certainly legitimate options to purchase which aren't eBay and work very well. But, not in the 'rare used' items category. Then you just have to take a chance on what is available, but do your best to cover yourself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis