Upgrade from Technics Speakers to new floor standers?

B

brianoc

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Sony STR-DN1050 to replace my old Technics hifi, I am using the old technics speakers at the moment. These are the specs:

Type: 2 Way, 3 Speakers, Bass Reflex
17cm Super Woofer
12cm Woofer
6cm Tweeter​
Impedance: High 6 ohms and Low 8 ohms
Power: High 60W, Low 120W
Frequency Range: 120 Hz, 4 kHz​

My question is this, is it worth upgrading these to a floor standing speaker for approx. €400. They sound pretty good to me, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated also. There are very few places to see speakers here in action before buying...

Attachments

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Hi Brian. Yes it would be worth upgrading, but. I don't believe I would be looking at floorstanders on your budget. Bookshelves might be better bang for your buck. There are some very good bookshelves out there that will get you down to the 35-40hz range.
I think if it were me, I would look into a subwoofer. Whether you are watching movies in surround or listening in 2ch stereo, it will give you the bottom end you are lacking. Whether you do go towers or bookshelf, with your budget, you will need a sub at some point anyway. You can use your current speakers with a sub until you save up for new fronts.
You have a good receiver and a good base to build on for a really nice mid-fi system. Whether you choose to go sub or bookshelves, increasing your budget will pay off in the end.
Im not familiar with brand choices where your from. There are members on this forum who are better qualified to recommend specific speakers so I will refrain. Best of luck.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That's a decent stand-alone system for what it is but doesn't really lend itself to upgrading for several reasons.

First, that's a "boom box", not a conventional stereo. Upgrade options may be limited.

Second, the specs on that type of equipment is highly exaggerated. IOW that power rating may be at some ungodly high distortion level.

Finally, from looking at your specs, it would appear that your mains are bi-amped, using whatever power is available. Odds are that those two amps were designed specifically for those particular speakers.

Frankly, I'd allocate your funds to getting a receiver and some starter speakers, perhaps two for now. Then when you feel ready, add a center, surrounds, and a subwoofer.

Last edited:
B

brianoc

Audiophyte
Thanks guys, I'll look into upping the budget to get better floor standing speakers or a good set of book shelf speakers. Appreciate your help.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Frankly, I'd allocate your funds to getting a receiver and some starter speakers.
Mark, if you will note, at the opening of his post he stated he had just purchased a Sony receiver. I did think the specs were a little suspect but, bi-amped had not occured to me. Perhaps you are correct on that.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
As you have a receiver in use and limited budget I would take a look on these bookshelf speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html paired with sub like this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

I myself haven't heard the AA's but what I have read about them this combo would beat most likely all floor standers in price range and possibly a bit higher price range as well.

But like said, with your price range its better to look for good bookshelf speakers over floor standers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy speakers are the most capable speaker I have heard for less than $500/pr.
Their bass is astounding

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy speakers are the most capable speaker I have heard for less than $500/pr.
Their bass is astounding
Kurt, The problem for OP might be expensive shipping and border fees, but yeah - these would be good option.

with your new Sony receiver, based on pretty "optimistic" specs , I'd estimate that real clean power is about 80-90Wpc into 8ohm speaker. If you want it pretty loud, you'd want to look for more sensitive speakers.

I'd also recommend to wait a bit till Elac Debut speakers become available in Europe...

F

felipe

Audioholic
Hi brianoc. You can also try going used. Browse your local CL if you can. If towers are what you are looking for, then I would also recommend the ELAC Debut series once they are available. Or, for less coin, the Pioneer Andrew Jones Towers (SP-FS52)...having owned these I can say that they are a great bang for the buck ;)

B

brianoc

Audiophyte
Thanks everybody for all the useful info and I've now got a lot to think about, I might just save up more money and get some good floor standers,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis