Upgrade from SB-2000 PRO?

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
Hi, i have the SVS Ultra Towers, center and bookshelfes with one SB-2000 Pro.

I think the SB-2000 Pro is a solid sub, it packs a punch in the 40-80hz range but i feel like its giving up a bit too early when i crank the volume. The Ultra Towers really impress me, they can play very, very loud and the sub cant really keep up with them. The sub starts lowering the output att around -20 on my Yamaha reciever with certain low Hz rap/edm songs. The towers cant play as deep of course but they never bomb out before my ears do

Should i go dual? Upgrade to a SB-16 Ultra or even go ported? My usage is mostly music but also some shows, movies and gaming.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Go ported. Funny that was the last option you mention when it's what you shoulda done first, lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, those towers do play very deep. Mine were flat to almost 20 hz in room when I had them. I could see them, maybe out doing the SB2000.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
SB4000 (maybe SB16)? If it is "rumble" and serious grunt in the lower octaves you are looking for, ported is probably what you need. I have the SB4000 and I do like it, but it isn't going to give you pant leg flapping capability. It WILL shake the whole room, but it is different than a vented design. I didn't buy it for pant flapping though, I bought it for music and that's where sealed subs shine IMO.

O

Oggaaaa

Audioholic Intern
The ported subs take up so damn much space tho. I live in an apartment right now (so i shouldnt even own a sub ) but i will be moving to a house in the fall so i might have to wait. But what ported sub is comparable to the sb-16 in the lower octaves? PB-2000Pro/PB3000?

I also live in Sweden and the SVS return policy doesnt apply here so i have to sell the sub used.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The ported subs take up so damn much space tho. I live in an apartment right now (so i shouldnt even own a sub ) but i will be moving to a house in the fall so i might have to wait. But what ported sub is comparable to the sb-16 in the lower octaves? PB-2000Pro/PB3000?

I also live in Sweden and the SVS return policy doesnt apply here so i have to sell the sub used.
From 16 to 120 Hz, the PB3000 has more output than the SB16:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-sb16-ultra/measurements

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
All I can say is I have the PB-2000 Pro and it's very impressive. It rocks my house big time. I love this thing, I am surprised at just what it does.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
All I can say is I have the PB-2000 Pro and it's very impressive. It rocks my house big time. I love this thing, I am surprised at just what it does.

Have you tried it in " sealed mode" .. And what did you think?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No but I'm kinda interested to. I think SVS will send the plugs free but you just have to ask for them. Maybe I'll do that because I'm curious.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
No but I'm kinda interested to. I think SVS will send the plugs free but you just have to ask for them. Maybe I'll do that because I'm curious.

I'm considering the pb1000 pro ,for a tiny (14x12x8) room.. I think the sealed option, along with the eq could be very big for that room.. How easy is the app to use?? Particularly the eq portion...u

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm considering the pb1000 pro ,for a tiny (14x12x8) room.. I think the sealed option, along with the eq could be very big for that room.. How easy is the app to use?? Particularly the eq portion...u
Oh the app is amazing. I can't think of a more convenient way to use a sub. It's so awesome I have to be honest I'll never own another sub with an app like this controlling it and SVS as far as I know it's the only one that has an app to control their subs. I love it. At night I can just go into the app. bring down the volume of the sub to not annoy the rest of the house or neighbors. It's sheer genius that app.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Oh the app is amazing. I can't think of a more convenient way to use a sub. It's so awesome I have to be honest I'll never own another sub with an app like this controlling it and SVS as far as I know it's the only one that has an app to control their subs. I love it. At night I can just go into the app. bring down the volume of the sub to not annoy the rest of the house or neighbors. It's sheer genius that app.

That keeps me very interested in that sub.. I'm always looking for the next sale...maybe I'll luck into an outlet deal..

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That keeps me very interested in that sub.. I'm always looking for the next sale...maybe I'll luck into an outlet deal..
Exactly where I bought mine, both of my subs came from the outlet. My RSL speakers, my receiver too was on clearance because the new models were coming out.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Not to jump threads but indeed they will send them for free I ask for them today when I ordered my subs they said they would send them out .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have the SB2000 Pro and it's a great sub for its size. My room is about 12x18x7 with an open doorway in the far corner and it provides plenty of bass on its own. I went for the sealed version partly due to space limitations. From my research (and from what shadyJ has mentioned) sealed subs can have slightly better dynamics in the mid bass. Ported subs will have slightly better dynamics in the very low end. What you loose going sealed is primarily low frequency extension. The sealed version goes down to 19Hz while the ported version goes down to 16Hz. So it depends upon what kind of listening you do and the performance you're looking for. Ported subs will do better with movie sound tracks that have very deep effects. They also perform better on things like pipe organ music and EDM which can reach down to 16Hz. For most music listening either will do fine and will be a big improvement over a cheap sub or no sub at all (unless you're one of the few to have full range speakers).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have the SB2000 Pro and it's a great sub for its size. My room is about 12x18x7 with an open doorway in the far corner and it provides plenty of bass on its own. I went for the sealed version partly due to space limitations. From my research (and from what shadyJ has mentioned) sealed subs can have slightly better dynamics in the mid bass. Ported subs will have slightly better dynamics in the very low end. What you loose going sealed is primarily low frequency extension. The sealed version goes down to 19Hz while the ported version goes down to 16Hz. So it depends upon what kind of listening you do and the performance you're looking for. Ported subs will do better with movie sound tracks that have very deep effects. They also perform better on things like pipe organ music and EDM which can reach down to 16Hz. For most music listening either will do fine and will be a big improvement over a cheap sub or no sub at all (unless you're one of the few to have full range speakers).
My former Epik Empire, dual sealed 15", could get to 16Hz. It didn't do it with the same authority as a vented sub though. I had a Adire Tempest tuned to 14Hz and it definitely had a lot more output at the low end, but lacked in the upper regions where more bass lives. So it definitely depends on your listening habits. I prefer sealed subs since I listen to a lot of music. My SB4000 is -3dB at 19Hz and it is only when the deepest of notes hit that you'd notice a difference with a vented sub IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis