Upgrade from Elac 6.2b?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Right now if you follow this link, there's one open box in gloss black and another scratch 'n dent in gloss black and you can get the pair for $790.
I did not take the time to follow the links to establish exactly what damage is on the scratch in dent speaker, so be sure to investigate that, but in my experience the discount would be greater if it was something very conspicuous and also you can choose whether to use it for your right or left to take advantage of being able to hide it if it's on one side of the speaker or the other.
I just looked and did not see a description of the damage. I would call and ask and also verify that you can simply return them if they don't work out I think they may have a nominal fee of something like $15 but that is likely cheaper than having a return shipping fee and I would consider that a fairly comfortable gamble.
For that matter, I'd consider 30 bucks for the pair a reasonable price for being able to have them in your home to experience for the true opportunity to know if they are what you want.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look! Though, money is not a deciding factor for me in this price range.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Curious why you don’t go 5.1?

The center is over 75% of the sound for HT.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
^^His tv stand doesn't have room. I recommended a new TV stand and the Elac center channel.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
I'm still researching. I noticed Chane get mentioned a lot in comparison to Ascend, especially for HT use. Anyone have thoughts on the Chanes?

Also, for HT/gaming use and easy to drive speakers, what better, the Sierra 2, Sierra 1, or CMT340?

I am looking at ways to fit a center. But first looking at which speakers to buy so I know what center speaker dimensions are.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
There was a comparison of the Sierra 2s and Chane 2.4 on avs the Sierra 2 were chosen over the Chane 2.4 but not by much being that the chanes are cheaper they are a better value according to the article.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm still researching. I noticed Chane get mentioned a lot in comparison to Ascend, especially for HT use. Anyone have thoughts on the Chanes?

Also, for HT/gaming use and easy to drive speakers, what better, the Sierra 2, Sierra 1, or CMT340?

I am looking at ways to fit a center. But first looking at which speakers to buy so I know what center speaker dimensions are.
The CMT340 has the highest sensitivity of the three Ascends, they're fairly similar on impedance load (look at the measurements for each of the speakers Ascend provides on each product's page). I've always wanted to try Chane, they definitely have a lot of fans.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

If you are primarily interested in surround sound content such as gaming and movies, one of the things I would be looking for is a three-way center speaker.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
What are the benefits of 3 way vs 2 way center for HT and gaming?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What are the benefits of 3 way vs 2 way center for HT and gaming?
From my perspective, you want 3way so more than one spot in the room has a good seat. In your room, hard to know since it is on the smaller side. I’ll defer to @shadyJ since he knows the science involved.. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From my perspective, you want 3way so more than one spot in the room has a good seat. In your room, hard to know since it is on the smaller side. I’ll defer to @shadyJ since he knows the science involved.. :)
This is pretty much it. 2-way MTM speakers can have heavy cancellation off-axis when they are horizontally placed from the woofers interfering with each other. Using a 3-way center where a midrange driver is vertically aligned with the tweeter can greatly reduce the amount of cancellation. Here are some articles about it: Pros & Cons of Various Center Channel Designs, Center Channel Speaker Design Additional Consideration, Vertical vs Horizontal Center Channel Speaker Design - An Alternate Perspective.

D

daddyora

Enthusiast
Several questions on this topic. I didn't see an answer from the OP on what he was looking to accomplish on move away from Elac's. What is the issue ? Also, I thought that the Klipsch were on the bright side and somewhat fatiguing, why consider these. Should ribbon tweeters be considered ? Many new & old models on the market now with ribbons.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
I started to buy speakers for auditioning. Have SVS ultra bookshelf on the way. Going to get KEF LS50, Revel, and Ascend. Question, though. For home theater and gaming:
  1. Is Ascend 2EX worth it over Ascend 1 at twice the cost?
  2. Is Revel performa3 105 or 106 worth it over concerta2 m16 at 50-100% (twice) the cost? If so which?
If there is not a significant difference obviously would prefer the money savings going this amount, over the budget I was thinking of spending.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Worth is so subjective the more you spend in audio :) I have the Sierra 1s, and did the upgrade to NrT (and found it to be a subtle difference) but no experience with the Raal tweeters, altho by most accounts they are an improvement....fwiw.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Sierra 2 EX seem to be building quite a good reputation for themselves in terms of performance including all aspects of SQ and Bass extension for a standmount.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sierra 2 EX seem to be building quite a good reputation for themselves in terms of performance including all aspects of SQ and Bass extension for a standmount.
Forgot about the newer Seas Curv driver....but will bass extension matter much with subs?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think so. I periodically switched to pure direct with my BMRs. Quite nice to have such capable speakers. They couldn't hang for HT or anything beyond real music... Manufactured music like Electronica and some Hip Hop would tax them a little excessively.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think so. I periodically switched to pure direct with my BMRs. Quite nice to have such capable speakers. They couldn't hang for HT or anything beyond real music... Manufactured music like Electronica and some Hip Hop would tax them a little excessively.
But that's without subs :) Even the Sierra1s have nice bass, but just wondering for the expense is the 6Hz advantage in f3 "worth" it, since that's the OP's concern about the differences in the Sierra lineup....true, always nice to have a more capable speaker, but for gaming/ht use and additional $775/pr....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dave's stuff doesn't come cheap. I was super close to joining the ascend family. But value is where you place it. That woofer is supposed to be beastly, and even with a sub taking over, I would expect enough extra output where it counts to be worth it. But where the Buyers values are... I can't say.
With Dennis out of the game, I think the two best options on the market are Salk and Ascend.
Right now, standard cabinet Ascend Sierra 2XR is 1498 per pr. Salks BMRs are 24-2600 per pair. Word is for the DIY, you can get BMR kits from Meniscus soon at 900/pair. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis