Upgrade from Elac 6.2b?

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Budget $2k. (1k/pair). Can you recommend me speakers? I am more interested in best quality period, not price to performance ratio.

Current setup is 4.1 with Denon x4500h, 4x Elac Debut 6.2 bookshelves, and 1x Hsu vtf 3 mk 5 hp subwoofer (behind the couch). Looking for a 4.2 setup, TV stand won't fit a center, and there is a window behind the TV. I have listened to phantom center for a while now and am ok with it. Maybe further upgrade to 7.2 in future. No acoustical treatment currently in room.

Listen to about 45% HT, 45% gaming, 10% music. I listen at both low and high volumes depending on the time of day, so speakers need to sound good at all volumes. I also don't want to get separates in the future, prefer easier to power speakers that sound good with my Denon and can get loud when I want. I have a HT/office room that is 12x15x8 ft. Listening space in room with TV and speakers is 10x12x8 ft (other part of room has an office desk) and MLP is 6.5 ft from front speakers and 3 ft from side speakers. I don't want speakers to over power the room. Not sure if floorstanders are good options or stick to bookshelf.

For sound signature, no bright. I tried JBL 230 and were harsh sometimes. My room adds brightness. Elacs I can listen to for long periods of time. Have no experience trying other speakers. Work, kid, wife limit my hobby time.

I noticed by pro reviewers Klipsch and SVS get recommended a lot, but on forums I see Chane and Ascend a lot. Speakers currently considering:
  1. Klipsch rp600m
  2. Klipsch rp8000f (FYI large footprint puts this close to walls)
  3. Svs ultra bookshelves
  4. Svs prime pinnacle
  5. Psa mt110
  6. Chane a2.4
  7. Ascend Sierra 1
  8. Ascend Cmt 340 se
  9. Kef ls50
Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS Ultra or KEF LS50. I'm biased tho, and to be fair have only actually heard the Ultras, lol.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
I have heard KEF is hard to drive with AVR only. That true? Or do you think my close listening position makes this a non issue?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll tell you what made me go with the Ultras was I found some really nice ones in their outlet for $399 apiece and knew if I didn't like them I could send them back. The marks on that one aren't bad. The ones I got you can't find a mark unless you look very closely with a bright light. One of them we never did find a mark.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the Prime Pinnacles and Klipsch RP8000F. Revel, KEF, and Ascend are solid too. Something else to look at in this price range is the Paradigm Premier 800F speakers. Also consider some Outlaw Audio speakers, a pair of LCRv2s would be killer. Monoprice Monolith THX Mini-towers are solid as well.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I like the Prime Pinnacles and Klipsch RP8000F. Revel, KEF, and Ascend are solid too. Something else to look at in this price range is the Paradigm Premier 800F speakers. Also consider some Outlaw Audio speakers, a pair of LCRv2s would be killer. Monoprice Monolith THX Mini-towers are solid as well.
I notice you suggest those paradigm 800f’s a lot, were those your favorite out of those 5 you reviewed under $2000? How do they compare to the likes of revel f36 or monitor audio silver in that price range?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I notice you suggest those paradigm 800f’s a lot, were those your favorite out of those 5 you reviewed under $2000? How do they compare to the likes of revel f36 or monitor audio silver in that price range?
I don't know how they compare to the Monitor Audio speakers, although Monitor usually makes good speakers. I would guess they would sound similar to the Revel speakers, since Revel uses neutrality as a target response. The Paradigm Premier 800Fs are a relatively accurate loudspeaker. Plus they have a wide dynamic range as well. They really don't do anything wrong.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
What are you looking for is the question maybe? What didn't you like about the elac's that you want to make sure the new speakers you get don't have. Accurate reproduction? and all the above. I know where you coming from though for me around me there is no audio stores to go listen and watch a movie or play a sound track.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would add Canton Vento 826 or 826.2 from accessories4less to the list.

Good luck! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought is just doing a pair new up front and moving Elacs to surrounds....altho for multich music I think its nice to have the same speaker all around, not so much just for surround duty (but not a gamer so not sure there). I love my Sierra-1s even before the NrT upgrade I did on L/R (bought used, the C was already with NrT). I'd probably do that over the 340SE in any case but would look to the Sierra 2 or Sierra Tower now (maybe even the Horizon center model).

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Are the monoprice mini towers easy to drive? Specs say they are 4ohm.

Can towers do good so close to MLP? I'm only 6.5 feet from speakers.

Klipsch I am concerned my space is too small. They would be close to walls. But pinnacle size is barely larger than my Elacs + stand, and heard they were made for flexible positioning. Plus audioholics review seems to indicate rolled off top end which may be good in my bright room. Strongly considering them.

I keep seeing paradigm and revel lately, I will look into them.

D

dan2crazy

Audioholic Intern
Another thought is just doing a pair new up front and moving Elacs to surrounds....altho for multich music I think its nice to have the same speaker all around, not so much just for surround duty (but not a gamer so not sure there). I love my Sierra-1s even before the NrT upgrade I did on L/R (bought used, the C was already with NrT). I'd probably do that over the 340SE in any case but would look to the Sierra 2 or Sierra Tower now (maybe even the Horizon center model).
I been thinking about the new Elac reference announced, in which case I would probably upgrade front only. But with diff brand I would rather have same speaker all around for gaming, back speakers get a lot of use in games.

My hesitation with ascend is shipping. SVS, Klipsch, Elac, kef... Can all demo at no cost. But hear them recommended so much. I'll need to look up their possible shipping costs so I know what I might lose, then decide.

Are there any advantages of the MTM design over the higher cost Sierra 1? Never heard an MTM speaker.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Are the monoprice mini towers easy to drive? Specs say they are 4ohm.

Can towers do good so close to MLP? I'm only 6.5 feet from speakers.

Klipsch I am concerned my space is too small. They would be close to walls. But pinnacle size is barely larger than my Elacs + stand, and heard they were made for flexible positioning. Plus audioholics review seems to indicate rolled off top end which may be good in my bright room. Strongly considering them.

I keep seeing paradigm and revel lately, I will look into them.
The Monolith THX speakers are a 4-ohm load but not a particularly bad one. They shouldn't be too hard for a mid-level AVR to drive. Look at the Audioholics review.

Tower speakers might not be a good idea to use so close to the listening position. Many of them were made for listening distances of 2 meters at the closest. The Klipsch were made for 3 meter distances. But this all depends on the specific tower. Some would be fine at that distance, others will not. I think the Paradigm speakers would be OK at that distance. The SVS Prime Pinnacles should be fine at that distance.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have heard KEF is hard to drive with AVR only. That true? Or do you think my close listening position makes this a non issue?
No, they aren't. Many owners use an AVR. No problems I've seen.

EDIT - I should have mentioned, most LS50 owners who get more amp power for their speakers do so because they've read so many times that the more power they have, the better they sing. I went from 60w/ch to 100w/ch, really didn't notice any difference beyond what my wallet needed to hear.

Last edited:
Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I agree with matching the timbre of the existing Elac's. Take the B6.2's and run them for surround duty as suggested and look into some of the F6.2 floor standers? I have the B6.2's, and also owned a pair of the Debut F6.2's which were great if you run a sub like you have along with them. They run $399 each, but at the time I had snagged them off New Egg for $299ea shipped. You already have $600 tied up in 4 of the B6.2's so I suppose you have to ask yourself if you want a completely different flavor up on the front mains, or try to match what you already have.

Or... buy a new TV console along with a C6.2 and a pair of 28" stands for the already existing B6.2 fronts :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Right now if you follow this link, there's one open box in gloss black and another scratch 'n dent in gloss black and you can get the pair for $790.
I did not take the time to follow the links to establish exactly what damage is on the scratch in dent speaker, so be sure to investigate that, but in my experience the discount would be greater if it was something very conspicuous and also you can choose whether to use it for your right or left to take advantage of being able to hide it if it's on one side of the speaker or the other.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis