Upgrade from 2002 Sony STR-DA7ES

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I own the Sony STR-DA7ES, and when i say thin bass i mean the receiver does not have the deep bass the newer Onkyo RZ840 has, i have owned the Sony since 2002 and even with the bass set to +10 and the built in EQ's bass set to it's highest level it just doesn't have that low SPL you can feel on the eardrums like the new Onkyo does.Don't get me twisted, the Sony DA7ES is an awesome AV receiver and have been thinking of trying a DBX sub-harmonic synthesizer to wake up the bass.I run Klipsh speakers all around, and my main fronts are Klipsh RF-28.
Could also be cancellation between his sub(s) and mains if the mains are very bass capable and set to "large". Too many people think large towers should be set to large in order not to rob their bass, in many cases they would get the opposite effect.
Yes, for sure, I hope the OP clarifies whether bass is from mains and/or a subwoofer. Mains w/o sub need to be set to Large, mains with sub need to be set to Small and adjusted for crossover.

Last edited:
K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern
Yes, for sure, I hope the OP clarifies whether bass is from mains and/or a subwoofer. Mains w/o sub need to be set to Large, mains with sub need to be set to Small and adjusted for crossover.
Bass is from the mains, i do not use a Sub, fronts are set to large,center and rears are set to small on the Sony DA7ES.I have tried ever EQ setting and just can't get that really low end that you can feel, the newer Onkyo's bass can be felt on the eardrums.My front speakers are Klipsh RF-28, my center and rears are also Klipsh..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass is from the mains, i do not use a Sub, fronts are set to large,center and rears are set to small on the Sony DA7ES.I have tried ever EQ setting and just can't get that really low end that you can feel, the newer Onkyo's bass can be felt on the eardrums.My front speakers are Klipsh RF-28, my center and rears are also Klipsh..
How about settings? Is it possible something is enabled in the Onkyo that isn't in the Sony or vice versa? What spl are we talking about here where the bass is noticeably different? Then again maybe something isn't right with the Sony over time. Very curious, if I lived nearby I'd love to come over and hear for myself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about settings? Is it possible something is enabled in the Onkyo that isn't in the Sony or vice versa? What spl are we talking about here where the bass is noticeably different? Then again maybe something isn't right with the Sony over time. Very curious, if I lived nearby I'd love to come over and hear for myself.
That's what I'm thinking. Possibly some sort of DSP enhancement going on with the Onkyo.

K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern
I thought about adding a DBX 120x Sub harmonic synthesizer to the Sony to add some more bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought about adding a DBX 120x Sub harmonic synthesizer to the Sony to add some more bass.
I have no idea what the dbx unit would do particularly or how it works particularly....altho I do have an old dbx dynamic range enhancer (essentially manipulates a bit of reverb IIRC). Most of us would simply use a sub with your speakers for better bass.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have no idea what the dbx unit would do particularly or how it works particularly....altho I do have an old dbx dynamic range enhancer (essentially manipulates a bit of reverb IIRC). Most of us would simply use a sub with your speakers for better bass.
Totally agree. Use a subwoofer. Also, I think there’s got to be a setting issue or a defect.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'd turn off the equalizer, since your issue with the Sony is about suppression of low frequency range. Also, use your test tone feature to get volume from all speakers to match. At any rate, here's what I think, while the Sony is delivering suppressed low frequency, the Onkyo has been set to emphasize it. Here's why: your statement "bass can be felt on the eardurms", which suggests extreme equalization to favor bass and allow for great volume without the sense of great volume when the condition is deemphasizing high and mid frequencies.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc it adds lower bass notes by synthesizing them from higher ones. A system should be capable of being able to produce the bass. We had a guy in here awhile back that used one with some pro subs. I think they rolled off too high for it to work. I asked, he got defensive(and offensive) freaked out, then left.
I wouldn’t use one. I’d just use the Onkyo, make sure it’s setup and add a quality sub. Not even a huge one(well maybe lol) but just something nice, and capable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis