Upgrade from 2002 Sony STR-DA7ES

K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern
Would it be a smart upgrade to go from a Sony STR-DA7es 44 lb beast of a AV receiver to a newer Onkyo TX-RZ840 just for the HDMI switching and the newer codecs like DTS-MA and DD TrueHd? I have been auditioning the newer Onkyo in my home for a few days and have a couple more days before i can take it back..I have been told that the amp section in the Sony DA7ES is far superior to the newer Onkyo but the Onkyo seems to be more authoritive especially in the bass, Sony receivers have always been know to be a little thin in the low end even their top models, i think the addition of a DBX subharmonic synthesizer might help this.Question would you upgrade the Sony STR-DA7ES to the newer Onkyo?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wow a 18 year old unit nice don’t see that lasting that long. But yeah as I’m sure you know a lot has changed with AVR’s since than so yeah you would Definitely benefit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
yes except Onkyo would not be where I'd be looking. Denon or Marantz, even Yamaha before Onkyo.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Would it be a smart upgrade to go from a Sony STR-DA7es 44 lb beast of a AV receiver to a newer Onkyo TX-RZ840 just for the HDMI switching and the newer codecs like DTS-MA and DD TrueHd? I have been auditioning the newer Onkyo in my home for a few days and have a couple more days before i can take it back..I have been told that the amp section in the Sony DA7ES is far superior to the newer Onkyo but the Onkyo seems to be more authoritive especially in the bass, Sony receivers have always been know to be a little thin in the low end even their top models, i think the addition of a DBX subharmonic synthesizer might help this.Question would you upgrade the Sony STR-DA7ES to the newer Onkyo?
Sony 7ES "thin", why? Imo that's just another example of hearsay about thin, thick dark, warm, cold etc, I wouldn't pay attention to such claims.

I would certainly upgrade from that kind of Sony but would be for reasons related to features that I need, not for sound quality.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sony 7ES "thin", why? Imo that's just another example of hearsay about thin, thick dark, warm, cold etc, I wouldn't pay attention to such claims.

I would certainly upgrade from that kind of Sony but would be for reasons related to features that I need, not for sound quality.
Yeah, just dump some Hershey's syrup all over the amp sections for a chocolatey midrange sound...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Thin", "Bloated", "Anemic", "Clinical"-- man I just love all these medical descriptions of audio electronics. :D

It's usually in the setup of the AVR/AVP or type of speakers/subs.

If speakers/subs are the same, then it's the setup in the AVR - EQ, DSP, Volume Level, Bass Management, etc.

If you like Sony, you could always get another Sony AVR. Why Onkyo? Cheaper price?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Onkyo has their RZ820 going for 399.00 which is a very good price. I would get one if I thought it wouldn’t have hdmi issues. Many have that unit some have reported hdmi issues some have had good service with that unit. It does have a 3 year warranty but I believe you have to pay shipping to a Authorize Onkyo service but they ship it back to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo has their RZ820 going for 399.00 which is a very good price. I would get one if I thought it wouldn’t have hdmi issues. Many have that unit some have reported hdmi issues some have had good service with that unit. It does have a 3 year warranty but I believe you have to pay shipping to a Authorize Onkyo service but they ship it back to you.
Many have reported? Where are you seeing that? I haven't seen such on the Onkyo lines since the 2009-2012 debacle....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I just upgraded to Denon for newer features. I previously had the
Onkyo tx nr 838 an used daily 5-8 hours never had a problem in 6 years. I think the hdmi board issue was solved years ago.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Many have reported? Where are you seeing that? I haven't seen such on the Onkyo lines since the 2009-2012 debacle....
Hey HD, from some of the reviews on Amazon, but with that said Best Buy, Crutchfield have much better reviews. I wonder if Amazon reviews can really be Trusted? That site has had a lot of fake reviews or B-stock units maybe. For $399.00 on that Onkyo THX-RZ820 new, really is a killer deal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey HD, from some of the reviews on Amazon, but with that said Best Buy, Crutchfield have much better reviews. I wonder if Amazon reviews can really be Trusted? That site has had a lot of fake reviews or B-stock units maybe. For $399.00 on that Onkyo THX-RZ820 really is a killer deal.
Amazon reviews are a mess. Most retailer site reviews I'd consider not all that much to go by.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, just dump some Hershey's syrup all over the amp sections for a chocolatey midrange sound...
Oh yeah, that’s my favorite technique. Luuuuuuuv me some chocomids..... Soaking the tweeters in cool whip is good too. Sweet highs like SSSSSS!!!

I would also dump the Sony, but because of features. If you have some crazy hard to drive speakers I’d do a nice denon/Marantz with an external amp if need be. So to answer the question, no, not for the Onkyo. Fwiw, I used an 808 for a looong time and loved it. It was a beast, but I needed Atmos, and I didn’t like what they did in accueq.

K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern

I own the Sony STR-DA7ES, and when i say thin bass i mean the receiver does not have the deep bass the newer Onkyo RZ840 has, i have owned the Sony since 2002 and even with the bass set to +10 and the built in EQ's bass set to it's highest level it just doesn't have that low SPL you can feel on the eardrums like the new Onkyo does.Don't get me twisted, the Sony DA7ES is an awesome AV receiver and have been thinking of trying a DBX sub-harmonic synthesizer to wake up the bass.I run Klipsh speakers all around, and my main fronts are Klipsh RF-28.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I own the Sony STR-DA7ES, and when i say thin bass i mean the receiver does not have the deep bass the newer Onkyo RZ840 has, i have owned the Sony since 2002 and even with the bass set to +10 and the built in EQ's bass set to it's highest level it just doesn't have that low SPL you can feel on the eardrums like the new Onkyo does.Don't get me twisted, the Sony DA7ES is an awesome AV receiver and have been thinking of trying a DBX sub-harmonic synthesizer to wake up the bass.I run Klipsh speakers all around, and my main fronts are Klipsh RF-28.
You're saying that without dsp the Onkyo matches/bests the bass of the Sony after tweaking the bass? That makes the Sony seem broken. Would be nice to see a measurement comparison. This is using subs?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Keep the Sony and forget what you've been told about "thin" in the low end, that's complete nonsense, really. Here's what I'd do. Get a new Panasonic Universal Player and connect it to your Sony AVR via optical or coax S/PDIF and to your TV via HDMI . This will get you Network, HDMI, usb B and usb drive computer actions to the Sony via the Universal Player. In other words, the Universal Player is what updates your system.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wake up the bass? I think there's something else going on here. First I'd get out of the Sony's equalizer and then I'd adjust volume level of all channels via test tone. Finally, I'd set the sub and mains to proper crossover point. Now, I'm assuming you have an active amped sub in your system. If you are getting bass from full range front speakers check that the Sony is set to deliver full range from the mains via menu. I think you will discover your Sony was not set-up to get low end. New edit: If you are getting bass from full range front speakers, no sub, set Speaker to Large. It you have a sub then set mains to Small and set crossover to proper point, I.e. 60Hz.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In that case may be you have a defective unit or something wrong with your settings. If not, then there must be something else at play causing it, but definitely not because it is a Sony. I have had two ES Sony receivers, the last one being the 4ES and never had that issue, would imagine the 7ES is much better than the 4ES in every ways.

Audioholics.com reviewed one of them, don't remember which one but I think it was the 5ES, and never reported the thin bass issue. Sony, like others, designed their audio gear to be transparent, from all available specs and measurements they have been solid, at least in terms of frequency response. Other reports of similar issues to yours, if any, were internet hearsay, that's all I can say.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are getting bass from full range front speakers check that the Sony is set to deliver full range from the mains via menu. I think you will discover your Sony was not set-up to get low end.
Could also be cancellation between his sub(s) and mains if the mains are very bass capable and set to "large". Too many people think large towers should be set to large in order not to rob their bass, in many cases they would get the opposite effect.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis