Upgrade AV Receiver

R

rak_32

Banned
I have just finished configuring/purchacing my home theater speakers.
This is my home theater speaker setup.....
2 Large Floorstanding KLH speakers frnt lft /rht - $200.00
1 Klipsch Center Speaker - $350.00
2 rear lft/rht BOSE acustimass + module - $399.00
total ___________
$950.00
Now this is on speakers alone, not including wires, cables, etc..

So after spending close to 1000.00 on speakers, I would like to get the most out of them. I am currently using an antique Sony A/V Reciver that says it was copyrighted in 1993......... I never upgraded because it never broke down.

This is what its called on the manual

SONY FM Stero/FM-Am
Receiver
STR-D1011S

My speakers sound preaty good through ths receiver.......... but I cant help wondering if they could sound better if I used a newer A/V receiver, also. speaker tips would help too. thnx

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
IMO, it's hard to go wrong with any of the AV receivers from the major players except Sony. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer are well thought of among others. Look for something in the ~$300 range.

Nick

One more thing, use the search function because this has been asked time and again. So I suggest you use that as well before continuing with the thread.

R

rak_32

Banned
its been awhile since i've looked into receivers. do the receivers now have the ability to adjust how much sound goes into each speaker? ie: im watching a movie and the rear speakers are not loud enough, could i adjust them to be louder while keeping the same original volume for my front 3 speakers? thnx

majorloser

majorloser

Today's 5.1 receivers allow for gain levels to be calibrated for each speaker, including the LFE (suwoofer) channel. A basic calibration program is available on any THX disc that includes THX Optimizer. All you need is an inexpensive dB meter you can get from RS to do it properly.

R

rak_32

Banned
so i cant personally tweak how much power goes into each speaker?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
rak_32 said:
so i cant personally tweak how much power goes into each speaker?
Yes, you can on all AV receivers. It's called "gain" in receiver talk. Think of "gain" as volume for just one speaker. The amount of gain change is limited so this is just for fine tuning. "Volume" raises and lowers the sound equally to all speakers simultaneously.

Nick

R

rak_32

Banned
i dont know what brand for a receiver i should get. i heard that denon is preaty good but i dont really know.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
i dont know what brand for a receiver i should get. i heard that denon is preaty good but i dont really know.
Denon's entry level units aren't all that impressive (I own a mid level Denon AVR). Give us a budget, and we'll help you find the best bang for the buck in that budget.

R

rak_32

Banned
around 120-200 for an A/V receiver. i currently use a 10 yr old SONY A/V reciever

R

rak_32

Banned
My old receiver doesnt sound really that bad, but I cant help wondering if my speakers will sound better comming out of a 2006 Model receiver instead of a 1993ish SONY A/V receiver. Even if it is just a 200.00 Denon receiver, do you think it would sound better than my sony? When I watch TV (the News, talk shows, etc), the sound usally only comes out of my center channel speaker. Is this normal? Also, I dont feel like im getting the most out of my speakers since im lacking a subwoofer.
ps: my current A/V receiver doesnt have a subwoofer out jack or anything

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
My old receiver doesnt sound really that bad, but I cant help wondering if my speakers will sound better comming out of a 2006 Model receiver instead of a 1993ish SONY A/V receiver. Even if it is just a 200.00 Denon receiver, do you think it would sound better than my sony? When I watch TV (the News, talk shows, etc), the sound usally only comes out of my center channel speaker. Is this normal? Also, I dont feel like im getting the most out of my speakers since im lacking a subwoofer.
ps: my current A/V receiver doesnt have a subwoofer out jack or anything
You won't notice a difference in sound if you don't change speakers. With BestBuys return policy, go grab a set or two of Klipsch bookshevles, and substitute them for your KLH's. Then return them. Let us know what you think.

An eq would make more of a difference in sound than a new receiver would.

T

toddious

Audioholic Intern
rak_32 said:
I have just finished configuring/purchacing my home theater speakers.
This is my home theater speaker setup.....
2 Large Floorstanding KLH speakers frnt lft /rht - $200.00
1 Klipsch Center Speaker - $350.00
2 rear lft/rht BOSE acustimass + module - $399.00
total ___________
$950.00
Now this is on speakers alone, not including wires, cables, etc..

So after spending close to 1000.00 on speakers, I would like to get the most out of them. I am currently using an antique Sony A/V Reciver that says it was copyrighted in 1993......... I never upgraded because it never broke down.

This is what its called on the manual

SONY FM Stero/FM-Am
Receiver
STR-D1011S

My speakers sound preaty good through ths receiver.......... but I cant help wondering if they could sound better if I used a newer A/V receiver, also. speaker tips would help too. thnx

Not to rain on the parade, but it is very bad for sonic quality to mix and match speakers. You want the timbre (or tone) of each speaker to match, so that it creates a seemless sound environment from speaker to speaker. This is very hard to create with speakers from different lines of the same manufacturer, let alone mixing and matching different brands of speakers.

R

rak_32

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
You won't notice a difference in sound if you don't change speakers. With BestBuys return policy, go grab a set or two of Klipsch bookshevles, and substitute them for your KLH's. Then return them. Let us know what you think.

An eq would make more of a difference in sound than a new receiver would.
i purchaced my 2 floor standing KLH speakers from costco around 7 years ago. im not sure if i'll still be able to return them. but if i will, i think i'll go and purchace 2 klipsch speakers. should I get floorstanding like my KLH? or bookshelf? i dont own a subwoofer yet because my receiver doesnt support a subwoofer. but since i use the BOSE acustimass serries speakers for my rear, it did come with a module........ im not sure if thats really any use. since i think i'll be upgrading my reciever, getting a sub, and also buying 2 new klipsch speakers, i wont have much money to spare. i think i'll get the Pioneer VSX-815 7.1 Pro Logic IIx for a receiver, but i have no idea what to get for a sub or what model of Klipsch to get.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Rak,

Just out of curiosity, what year did you graduate high school? I'm not trying to be mean, just inquiring.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis