Junior Audioholic
My current set up is the following:
Denon AVR-S930H receiver
B&W 603 Fronts
B&W HTM6 Center
HSU VTF-1-MKII Sub
Bose 161 Rear surround
Klipsch R-14SA Atmos Mounted on top of B&W

What would be your first suggestion for an upgrade?
The system actually sounds really good but I'm looking for even better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Without knowing your room size, the front 3. If the room is large , the sub.

Edit: budget

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Define "even better". Where do you think it could be improved?

Remember, change is easy. Better, not so much, and it could cost a lot of $$$ to learn that.

Offhand, though, you might want to consider getting surrounds that match your front LCR, particularly if you like multi-channel music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even better in what way, tho? Tend to agree with everettT without more details about room and usage.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
The room is 16ft x 16ft with vaulted ceilings. The back of the room opens up to the kitchen and dining area with a short wall partially behind the listening area.
I watch about 40% regular tv, 40% movies on HBO etc and about 20% music. I considered upgrading to the Marantz SR7012 but don't think that would make enough difference. I looked at the B&W 607 for the rear but I don't really have an ideal situation to mount these. As far as the front 3 I just purchased these and it was a hefty investment. I listened to the B&W in a show room against some other well known brands and they sounded better to me. Thanks for the replies!

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
When playing music the B&W seem to get lost in the mix and I'm not hearing the detail of these speakers.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
You might want to consider other speakers..
After the listening demo I personally think these sounded way better than anything else they offered. I play in a band so my high frequency hearing is shot so I like the brighter sound these offer. Klipsch was a little too bright for my liking.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This may not be much help but the room has a LOT to do with how a speaker sounds. They may sound great in one room but not so great in another.

Can you exchange them?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
After the listening demo I personally think these sounded way better than anything else they offered. I play in a band so my high frequency hearing is shot so I like the brighter sound these offer. Klipsch was a little too bright for my liking.
I can tell you from my subjective opinion, as well as others, the 6 series is bloated thru most of the midrange. This tends to give the user a false perception of more bass. I'd recommend a extremely neutral speaker and that way you can tailor the EQ to your preferences. For the price of the 6 series, I can list several units that would fit the bill.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
This may not be much help but the room has a LOT to do with how a speaker sounds. They may sound great in one room but not so great in another.

Can you exchange them?
For the 700 series? lol...Wouldn't want to exchange them. It's only when listening to music when I don't seem to hear these as well in multi channel. It seems the Klipsch is playing at the same level. In the stereo mode i have to crank it up. I was thinking of a better avr and bi-amping. I absolutely love the B&W, they sound amazing when watching movies.I listened to Martin Logan, Def Tec, Klipsch, Emotiva and the B&W's blew them away IMO. Only other one I was considering was SVS but was unable to test them. Curious though what you like?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
I can tell you from my subjective opinion, as well as others, the 6 series is bloated thru most of the midrange. This tends to give the user a false perception of more bass. I'd recommend a extremely neutral speaker and that way you can tailor the EQ to your preferences. For the price of the 6 series, I can list several units that would fit the bill.
All a matter of preference. I've been chasing tone with guitar amps for decades. If I could afford it I would do the same with speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
All a matter of preference. I've been chasing tone with guitar amps for decades. If I could afford it I would do the same with speakers.
What I'm saying is with a neutral speaker, EQ is easy and less taxing on an amplifier. If your goal is Home Theater as you eluded to in your previous response, I'd look at speakers with high dynamic range and subs that have ultra low , low and mid bass positive traits. Impact is so important for HT. If 2 channel critical listening is as important, it can get expensive.

You should check several audio forums and see if any GTGs are coming up and attend.

I can promise you for a HT favored system, we can find you speakers that will make you invest in Depends from excitement.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just for reference, you want speakers that can faithfully reproduce those guitar amps/stacks, not ones that sound like them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
For the 700 series? lol...Wouldn't want to exchange them. It's only when listening to music when I don't seem to hear these as well in multi channel. It seems the Klipsch is playing at the same level. In the stereo mode i have to crank it up. I was thinking of a better avr and bi-amping. I absolutely love the B&W, they sound amazing when watching movies.I listened to Martin Logan, Def Tec, Klipsch, Emotiva and the B&W's blew them away IMO. Only other one I was considering was SVS but was unable to test them. Curious though what you like?
Dunno what to tell ya. It seems you like them for HT/multi channel use but not for music. Sometimes, ya pays yer money and makes yer choice.

Personally, I prefer planar speakers for music, I run Maggie 1.6's for music and Athena AS series for HT use..

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
What I'm saying is with a neutral speaker, EQ is easy and less taxing on an amplifier. If your goal is Home Theater as you eluded to in your previous response, I'd look at speakers with high dynamic range and subs that have ultra low , low and mid bass positive traits. Impact is so important for HT. If 2 channel critical listening is as important, it can get expensive.

You should check several audio forums and see if any GTGs are coming up and attend.

I can promise you for a HT favored system, we can find you speakers that will make you invest in Depends from excitement.
Depends..now that's the better I was talking about! I would love to attend a show like that. Where on the forums would I see that information?
If you don't mind me asking what is your set up?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Depends..now that's the better I was talking about! I would love to attend a show like that. Where on the forums would I see that information?
If you don't mind me asking what is your set up?
2ch main rig is Salk Song 3s Encore, with Salk Rythmik Subs.
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3+Encore

Theater is Atlantic Technology, upgrading to JTR as soon as the tax bill is wearing off.
https://shop.atlantictechnology.com/product/4400-lr/
With Epic Empire subs (out of business)

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
I got interested in upgrading my system when a friend showed me a pair of JBL's with 15" woofers that came out of a Carmike Cinema. He only runs 2 channel thru a vintage tube amp. It was incredible. These speakers are almost 6ft tall and wouldn't fit in my set up.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I got interested in upgrading my system when a friend showed me a pair of JBL's with 15" woofers that came out of a Carmike Cinema. He only runs 2 channel thru a vintage tube amp. It was incredible. These speakers are almost 6ft tall and wouldn't fit in my set up.
If they are still available from JBL, the Studio 5 series was running at a substantial discount via their website. Great speakers for music and HT.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis