Upgrade advice wanted

brutushifi

brutushifi

Audiophyte
Currently I have a Aperion 533pt system that I have had for 10 yrs. The avr I use is the Arcam 390. My listening habits are 75% Movies 25% Music. 90% of my media comes thru a nas using Kodi. 10% is cd thru a PlayStation. I really like my current setup. The only things I feel missing is music listening specifically hard rock doesn't hit as hard as my old cerwin vega at-15 or the infinity sm-152's specifically really loud granted my ability to listen like this is only when the wifes out. My current room setup is not media room but instead my living room that is attached to very open concept kitchen.

The question is what is best way to improve my current system.

1) upgrade the LCR to maybe Aperion versus grands 6t, or Polk R700s, I will likely purchased used under $2500
Or
2) adding amp, thinking either the Emotiva xpa or monolith

Your advise would be very much appreciated

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Currently I have a Aperion 533pt system that I have had for 10 yrs. The avr I use is the Arcam 390. My listening habits are 75% Movies 25% Music. 90% of my media comes thru a nas using Kodi. 10% is cd thru a PlayStation. I really like my current setup. The only things I feel missing is music listening specifically hard rock doesn't hit as hard as my old cerwin vega at-15 or the infinity sm-152's specifically really loud granted my ability to listen like this is only when the wifes out. My current room setup is not media room but instead my living room that is attached to very open concept kitchen.

The question is what is best way to improve my current system.

1) upgrade the LCR to maybe Aperion versus grands 6t, or Polk R700s, I will likely purchased used under $2500
Or
2) adding amp, thinking either the Emotiva xpa or monolith

Your advise would be very much appreciated
Probably not the amp.

Probably more bass?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My sub is large s12 that I have way turned down because it was shacking windows. I will turn it up see if that fixes things
“hard rock doesn't hit as hard as my old cerwin vega at-15 or the infinity sm-152's specifically really loud”

Wasn’t sure what you meant by “hit as hard, specifically really loud”. I assumed the bass was missing in certain spots of the room - may just need to EQ the subs. Does your Arcam have manual parametric EQ for the bass or automatic EQ for the bass?

But if it’s not the bass, then just get some larger speakers with much bigger drivers - more dynamic speakers?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be you need to fix resonances in your room for your sub, shaking windows is not that hard to do, but if it makes extra odd sounds you need to deal with that. Museum putty can be a wonderful tool for such.

Speakers are the general route to improved sound, and your demands of the speakers can influence that decision easily...adding an amp might help but I'd go for a significant increase (like 3x your current amp spec). Keep in mind a simple doubling of power on the amp only yields a measly 3dB spl advantage.

brutushifi

brutushifi

Audiophyte
Thanks I work on my resonace and star looking for new lcr

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis