Upgrade advice for my near field setup please and thank you

S

space

Enthusiast
So I have a pair of Encore X-LS that have upgrades similar to the old skiing ninja mod. I love the mids but the highs could be improved as well as the soundstage and imaging. All still very good but yeah. I want more. Soncoz LA-QXD1 dac, akitika gt-102 amp. Source is via USB from my PC.
Question is what will garner a noticeable sonic improvement for $2000 or less? Not sure what to get. I am open to any type of speaker or configuration. I have a medium sized room about 14x12 which I can do whatever I want with. However, this is for my PC setup which is mostly music and gaming. Thanks so much for any input. I value sound quality greatly in my life.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So I have a pair of Encore X-LS that have upgrades similar to the old skiing ninja mod. I love the mids but the highs could be improved as well as the soundstage and imaging. All still very good but yeah. I want more. Soncoz LA-QXD1 dac, akitika gt-102 amp. Source is via USB from my PC.

Question is what will garner a noticeable sonic improvement for $2000 or less?
For that price, you can't do better than a Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitor. On this page, scroll down until you see The BMR Monitor. I've heard them, and I think they're just what you're looking for. I'm also familiar with those 2-way designs from GR Research. They're not bad, especially that mid-woofer, but the BMR Monitor is a major step up from them.

They are somewhat large for computer desktops, but they have been used for that by others. Your amplifier should easily drive them.

They were rather glowingly reviewed here on AH by two different reviewers:

First by James Larson (aka shadyJ). And later by ErinH.

They are manufactured in China in small batches for Philharmonic Audio. You have to order in advance as each batch is usually sold out before the shipping container arrives.

Last edited:
S

space

Enthusiast
Very nice indeed. I can accommodate very large bookshelves easily. I am tall anyway so it would work fine.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you're looking for speakers that can create soundstage and imaging, the BMR Monitor is the very best I've ever heard at doing that. I never listened to them as close as you might be, but you might be surprised and pleased by what you hear from them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The BMR Monitors are outstanding speakers, but they might be a bit restricting on the vertical axis for near-field listening. You don't want your ears to go too high above or too low below the tweeters. On the other hand, you absolutely will not need a subwoofer by using the BMR Monitors as desktop speakers. For speakers that are more forgiving in vertical off-axis listening, you might check out some KEF LS50s. Normally I would go for BMR Monitors over LS50s, but if you are prone to slouching at your desktop chair, a speaker with wide vertical axis coverage might be a better bet.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair of the slightly hot-rodded xls encores, so I know what you're presently hearing.

I also have a couple different pairs of pro monitors that are quite a bit better than the xls. (By "better" I mean they are uncannily devoid of audible tells or coloration, leaving the music revealed in all its glory. Crazy good imaging, the proverbial speaker disappearing act, just the music.) So if looks/WAF arent a concern and you want to get max value, maybe consider pro audio options. $2K would get you into the realm of serious, no compromise monitors.

I'll also second the BMR rec. They too are remarkably natural, neutral, devoid of audible tells, and truly excellent speakers.

S

space

Enthusiast
I don't think that the vertical will be much of an issue. I don't slouch. One of the most important aspects of this speaker is it's ability to produce full range at low volume. That is something unique and applicable to my situation.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
That's more about a bit of loudness eq, but starting out with effectively full range speakers is required. The BMR checks that box. You'll like them more than the xls, it's not a lateral move by any means...and the xlx are already quite likable speakers.

S

space

Enthusiast
So I got a pair of the BMR in rosewood. Gorgeous. I like them except for two things. There is a bit of glare at the 2-3k range and the woofer seems to have trouble with bass below 50. Certainly they struggle when really pushed but as they are near field I don't crank them. So I would like to try an eq whether software based on my PC or physical and perhaps get a speedwoofer or two then crossover at 80 hz to relieve the BMR of the lower bass.

S

space

Enthusiast
Yeah. They are great but I really want more bass. Detail and sound stage are fun though. Ozric Tentacles sounds great.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah. They are great but I really want more bass. Detail and sound stage are fun though. Ozric Tentacles sounds great.
2.1 is what made desktop listening a legitimate hi-fi experience for me. Once subs came to the desktop experience, I was hooked. I have my desk away from the front wall about 40" or so. I have not needed EQ since moving the desk and speakers out into the room a little. I have my amps up against the wall in front of my desk and the speakers are about 40" out as well, on stands on either side of the desk, toed in.

Now I have 12" mains as my pc setup, with 2, 12" sealed subs partially, or firing about 1/4 of the way under my desk. It can be felt and with plenty of that chest punch and accurate bass down to about 25hz. Best part about this being near field is I can still get this vibe without putting the neighbors through it when I want to listen loud at night. Seems that the desk would disrupt the bass, but it's all well joined with the mains.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis