M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Hey! Regarding placement (and I’m glad you brought it up): I definitely know they are too close to those side walls. there are basically 2 options. One is where they are. And the other is to move the subs into the corner and bring the towers in closer to the tv and basically no toe in.
However...our listening position is 12.5-13 feet away from the speakers. Per Dave’s recommendation that would mean ideally the fronts should be spaced at appx 9.5 feet apart. Where they are now is exactly 8 so would be looking at having them only about 5 feet apart.
I am not sure which is the greater evil? If anyone has thoughts I’d love to hear them before I start moving those pig subs around (although I know someone will chime in with “you won’t know until you listen” which I know...but if having my listening distance that far and the speakers that close is a known failure I’d prefer to not move the subs just to move them right back)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My preference is to not use front wall or corner loading. I like Geddes technique for multiple subs. I'm a proponent of using the crawl to find the best acoustic places for my subs short of measuring everything.
Likewise, I wouldn't suggest putting your speakers any closer than 7' from each other, on center. (Mine are too close at 6' apart, but it's all I got. ;) )

End of the day, we all have to work with our rooms, and that means compromise. I redid my room solely as my listening room, so I had more freedom. The subs and front 3 are all asymmetrically placed to help avoid cancellations. The sub locations were chosen with the crawl, and each spot sounds very good. Together, they are an absolute delight.

How far from the side walls right now? even if you could milk 3" more on each side, that might make a world of difference! :)

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
That’s amazing. Yep compromises with the room, and our spouses!
Right now FL is 16” from the side and FR only 13”. And actually one thing I’m noticing is that the image is ever so slightly anchored to the left.
I can definitely get them each in another couple inches with some effort keeping in mind to keep them at least 7’ apart.
alas, it will need to wait until tomorrow. My wife is at 8 months now and incredibly (understandably) irritable so I have to carefully pick my spots to mess around

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis