Updating ancient Yamaha RX-V663

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
I've been using my RX-V663 to run my Rocket RS850s and RSC200. It would struggle with the RSC200 so instead if upgrading I just used the pre-out and ran them all off my Emotiva XPA3. Great...all was well for a short period. Fast forward to today when the yamaha died. It will be missed.

So now I need to replace it. I'd like to be able to just use the TVs remote to run everything as I'm really enjoying the Google TV interface in the TV but trying to use a universal remote gets old when you find quirks that constantly need to get worked out.

Since my center can be power hungry at 4ohm what would be the cheapest solution for a replacement? A modern receiver that can handle my rsc200 or a receiver that has pre-outs and keep using the XPA3? If it matters I only need 5 channels in total.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally when you get to the more capable amp sections in avrs that's about the same point where a full set of pre-outs is available. Then again if you want serious amp power/low impedance handling perhaps going external would be the way to go from the get-go. If you don't need the latest/greatest Atmos/4K stuff then perhaps a used avr with pre-outs might work well? Can't help you with the avr remote but most seem to come with the ability to at least operate a tv. What universal are you using?

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. I've done some digging around for used or refurbished receivers with pre-outs and didn't come up with much being available. I did look at accessories4less and it looked like they had a yahama rxa-880 and a marantz sr-5014 that had preouts. Looking at $700 - $750 for a refubished solution. Don't know how much more I would have to spend to get an amplifier section beefy enough to not need my XPA3 though.

My universal is a Harmony Companion. Now that Harmony is getting out of the remote business that is another reason why I would prefer to simplify my remote setup too. I don't know how long I can count on them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know of any avrs that have the amp section to match up to the XPA3. What power do you think you could live with? I have a couple Denons with good amp sections, a 3808 & a 4520 but when I want something MOAR I add an external amp.

I recently bought a Sofabaton universal but prefer the ease of my Harmony units (600,650....had an Ultimate I liked but killed it with a spilled coffee). Still struggling with the macro feature on the Sofabaton but haven't put much time into it (with same order got a CaiKote kit to repair my Harmony's dead buttons with).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ha, I had the RX-V663 for a long, long time also. I replaced it with the Denon X3400H and my amp is the Parasound HCA 1205A but I've had that for 20+ years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
That tool is pretty cool. It does confuse me a little though. Based on the numbers I don't really need many watts at all to drive my speakers to painful levels. However I know it was struggling with the center. Center would often sound distorted before I started using the xpa....but according to the tool that shouldn't have been too demanding. So now I'm confused why I even need an external amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That tool is pretty cool. It does confuse me a little though. Based on the numbers I don't really need many watts at all to drive my speakers to painful levels. However I know it was struggling with the center. Center would often sound distorted before I started using the xpa....but according to the tool that shouldn't have been too demanding. So now I'm confused why I even need an external amp.
Maybe you should look into that some more. What kind of spl levels were you noticing issues at and at what distance from your seat? What were the symptoms of the struggle?

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
I can't measure it now since the receiver died but when I was first using it, the distance was roughly 15ft away while watching action movies (probably something from the MCU). The volume was loud but not overwhelming. I'd say a little louder than running a vacuum cleaner. They symptoms was voices would get distorted at the end of sentences...but I'm not sure if distortion is the right word. I recall it kind of sounding like a static-like sound that would sometimes pop up during exclamations and the end of some dialogue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you calibrate the avr? The master volume setting might give us an idea....

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I ended going for an Anthem MRX-740 to replace my Yamaha RXV-663. I am happy with my choice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ended going for an Anthem MRX-740 to replace my Yamaha RXV-663. I am happy with my choice.
Are they available near the OP's budget of $750 or so? Last I looked they were at least 3x that....

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
I had ran the room calibration that is built into the avr.

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Not sure what that is. Typically when watching movies the volume was somewhere between 23db and 35db. I never understood how the receiver would use "db" as the volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what that is. Typically when watching movies the volume was somewhere between 23db and 35db. I never understood how the receiver would use "db" as the volume.
Was it -23 to -35 rather? Would make more sense that way. Reference would be "0", so listening 23dB down from reference (reference being the THX standard of 85dB with allowance for 20dB peaks).....my usual range is right around there.

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Yeah. That was it. My bad on the explaining.

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
So I found a used pioneer elite sc-75. When I look at everything in the specs I think it can do everything I need. You guys think this is a step down tye right path or is there something about that s equipment that I'm overlooking?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I found a used pioneer elite sc-75. When I look at everything in the specs I think it can do everything I need. You guys think this is a step down tye right path or is there something about that s equipment that I'm overlooking?
If the price is right looks to be a good avr, albeit a bit dated...but if the connectivity/features/price works for you sounds good to me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis