Upconverting or Up-scaling Receiver Needed

I

icngacsn

Audiophyte
Can anyone recommend an "upconverting" or is the term "up-scaling?" receiver, or better still provide a list? So far I have found the HK AVR 7300, the Denon 3805 and the Yamaha RX-Z9 AV only do conversion (though one review said the Yamaha did upscaling of DVDs to 720/1080 only if the disc was not copy protected - not much use to me).

My issue is that I have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV that constantly screws up when I change channels from 480 to HD on my cable/SAT box (it displays static at 480 instead of HD at 1080) and I need to re-set the TV (power cycle or change inputs) to make it display HD. I know, you are saying "get it fixed" but I've had little luck with Sharp on that subject... so I thought I'd give up and solve the problem a different way. I want to use 1080/720 for all inputs (DVD, SAT & Cable), and would like any OSD to also work on all inputs...

Any suggestions?

icngacsn

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, don't get it fixed, return it if at all possible. Sharp has some of the most poorly engineered products with ZERO customer support. They look great, and usually work, but if they screw something up, like what you are describing, they totally and completely fail to even consider fixing the problem.

It won't be fixed, you won't have it fixed, and they will absolutely be sure not to fix it for the next 5 years. Make sure you don't recommend Sharp to others! Make sure that you insist that people go with other brands! Sharp is one of the least responsive companies that I have ever dealt with personally. It's not that they can't be reached, it's that you get them on the phone and they say "We are aware of this issue, and we won't help you, go away. Thanks for choosing Sharp!"

Frankly, you are just giving in to them if you spend one cent to fix a problem that is Sharp's and not yours. Piss poor on them!

If you must give in, then maybe a DVDO video processor is the way to go. Use whatever receiver you want, then convert the output to HD.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
icngacsn said:
Can anyone recommend an "upconverting" or is the term "up-scaling?" receiver, or better still provide a list? So far I have found the HK AVR 7300, the Denon 3805 and the Yamaha RX-Z9 AV only do conversion (though one review said the Yamaha did upscaling of DVDs to 720/1080 only if the disc was not copy protected - not much use to me).

My issue is that I have a Sharp Aquos LCD TV that constantly screws up when I change channels from 480 to HD on my cable/SAT box (it displays static at 480 instead of HD at 1080) and I need to re-set the TV (power cycle or change inputs) to make it display HD. I know, you are saying "get it fixed" but I've had little luck with Sharp on that subject... so I thought I'd give up and solve the problem a different way. I want to use 1080/720 for all inputs (DVD, SAT & Cable), and would like any OSD to also work on all inputs...

Any suggestions?

icngacsn
You are not the only one to have this problem. JVC, Toshiba, and Olevia LCD's also experience similar problems. They are still working out the bugs in a lot of LCD tv's. I've read by this summer, they should have it down pat. Here is a good lcd tv site:

www.lcd-tv-reviews.com

As far as upconverting goes, stick with units that offer DCDI image processing by Faroudja - which upconverts all inputs to high-resolution component video. I don't think the Denon offers Faroudja like HK. Go with HK.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis