Untangling HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
There has been a lot of talk lately about the new HDMI specification and how it relates to recent product announcements. As seems to be par for the course with HDMI, confusion abounds mostly because of partial implementations and staggeringly low amounts of information available. We're here to demystify the new HDMI spec and help all of our readers understand just what they are getting when they purchase a new device touting HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2. Think you're all set to support native 4k resolution? Think again and read this article.

Read Untangling HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Very succinct summary! This could be one of the biggest "gotchas" for consumer electronics purchases over the next 12-18 months, and it may even delay (consumer) acceptance of things like Dolby Atmos on the audio side. I am considering such an upgrade, but now realize I could be wasting money (and time) implementing obsolete hardware.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
Its unfortunate that SI could not get a single chip solution out in time before the big 4k push. Even worse, are the companies pushing 4k and HDMI 2.0 and not being honest about its HDCP limitations or vice versa.

Since SI now has a single chip solution, I hope the 2015 product cycle fixes this debacle and we can get back on track.

C

ColdsnapBryan

Audiophyte
Wow. Very interesting. Well that makes me definitely want to hold off on my Marantz NR1603 purchase, was thinking I don't need the 4K features now but it would be nice to have down the road. I'll wait for next years model.

There's going to be some very angry consumers if they don't find a solution to the handshake problem on older gear.

Stanton

Stanton

Since SI now has a single chip solution, I hope the 2015 product cycle fixes this debacle and we can get back on track.
Very astute observation: silicon is always the feature "enabler" for technology solutions. Problem is, the common/average man doesn't know (or care) about such things; I agree that there will be some VERY PO'd people in a year or so.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My biggest frustration is that the industry, in general, is doing nothing to help consumers understand these changes and future plans. Rather than wait and come out with products that support this feature, they would rather bring out an incomplete feature set with no real upgrade path and it almost feels they go out of their way to confuse consumers.

It took a lot of research to find out my Sony Projector was HDCP 2.2 Complaint 4:4:4. I was going to upgrade to the Marantz 7702 Pre/Pro, but it's lack of HDCP compliance has caused me to hold off. I am hoping that their AV8802 will be full bandwidth HDCP 2.2 complaint.

Last edited:
Stanton

Stanton

...it almost feels they go out of their way to confuse consumers.
That way they can sucker us into buying more hardware, right now, all the time!

D

DABTPA

Audiophyte
Slow Down Electronics Industry

I may be getting old and crotchety as I just turned 60, but having audio as the second love of my entire life, my opinion is that the manufacturers race to bring out new technology before the old has set in. I still have 5.1,
love it and do not see the need to divide the musical spectrum into umteen zillion channels. I have seen 4k and it is fantastic, but it seems so sharp as to be almost surrealistic. At bear minimum, these companies need to develop technology that is backward compatible. I am not going to be changing gear/cables every 2 years. Did I read somewhere that there are still 32% of American homes that don't have flat screen T.V.s?

S

stevem1

Audiophyte
Hang'in in Limbo

I waited 5 years to upgrade to the Marantz 8801 and less than 8 months later it is almost obsolete! With new Hdmi configurations and new sound codecs it seems like the companies such as Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and others could have planned firmware upgrades for future changes at a reasonable fee. What they have done is required us to purchase new units if we want these changes. Is this anyway to treat loyal customers that spend their hard earned money on what they think is a quality, fairly future proof unit that they can enjoy for a couple years before it is a legacy item.
I will enjoy my 8801 and will wait to see how thing shake out.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, this should not be the headache for most TV owners. 4K's resolution PRACTICAL use in the projectors, not TVs.
Time and time again - early adopters suffer. Same was for early HD movies or Betamax or 8-Track tapes.

As for myself, I plan to sit on the fence with my ancient Onkyo 805 and you'll have to pry it out of my hands (or it goes kaput) before I replace it. With HDMI switcher, HD audio codec support and Audyssey multeq XT - these are bare minimum features required on any modern receiver. The last one is finally showed up on the budget denon model this year.
Not to mention my AVR's amps > most of newer AVR amps :) I could probably even continue to use it as multi-channel amp if I ever wanted to.

Do I miss Audyssey Multeq XT32, Dynamic EQ or FFS simply better gui - yes I do, but none of these features are crucial to enjoy my HT, Just like 4k, 10bit color or 3D

S

Soulfulpsy

Audiophyte
I just happened on to this article right after leaving a website that assumred me that the Onkyo TX NR636 HAD true HDMI 2. At Amazon, the listing's description only says that its HDMI supports 4K video at 60 fps; it never says HDMI 2. At the time, I assumed that this meant it was HDMI 2 since that is the standard outcome of the higher rate of data transfer. However, after ordering and then reading this article, I am left with much doubt. I've written the company that is selling the AV through Amazon to see what it says; and also the website (Wirecutter) that made the asrruance of HDMI 2 to see what they say. I did not see any easy way to query Onkyo at their web site.

My questions to you, if you can reply, is to ask, #1, could there have been a change, some sort of upgrade that means that Oknyo now is offering full, true, complete HDMI? #2, even if yes, how could it be possible that they could use the term HDMI 2 but not have it at full capacity. Wouldn't that disqualify them from using the standard which becomes a guarantee that they are telling the truth.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
There is part of the confusion, it may have HDMI 2.0 which is entirely possible. The problem is that it may not have HDCP 2.2, which means copy protected material, like 4k Blu Rays, when they come out, will not be supported by the Onkyo or will be at a reduced bandwidth and not capable of doing 4:4:4 color. The 636 is HDCP compatible, but I have no idea the impact of 10.2Gb/s vs 18.2 will have on performance.

The 4:4:4 color I don't think is going to be an issue for another year because even the 2015 models of 4k only do 4:2:0

The only units I know that will be upgraded to full bandwidth HDCP 2.2 will be the Marantz 8802, though I have heard rumor that the 7702 might also be a candidate.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis