Unraveling of America? Is the decline of our "empire" a given at this point?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I didn't realize Amazon's compensation was merely competitive. The news websites make it out to be significantly better than the industry average.

Why do you think warehouse work turnover is so high? What you're paying is better than almost all restaurant workers, except for people working in high-end restaurants, typically make, especially considering benefits. Is it the required pace of the work?
The turn over is high because of many things. Attendance issues, drug problems, too many hours, off shift work. It is a lot of things. I would not mean to sound mean but these are relatively lower skilled folks many who don’t really want to work and jump back and forth between jobs and play the unemployment game. We are one notch above the fast food industry in many cases. Heck a lot of those places are paying $10-12 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've been really wanting to see the TV series, but I have a Roku (no Amazon app) for streaming and I refuse to buy another device for that purpose.
Hunh? One of the benefits of Roku is it is "content provider neutral"! ... A search in Roku will let you know where you can see a movie for free (if available for free), while a Fire Stick will route you to Amazon's $2-3 rental (unless Fire Stick has changed)!

You need to have Amazon Prime to get the subscription as a benefit (I don't think you can get the channel by itself for less), but you do not need another device.
Go to the main Roku menu (cursor to the left all of the way).
Select "Streaming Channels"
Select "Search Channels"
Enter "prime", and "Prime Video" should pop up and you are good to go!

The only way I can imagine you missed this is if you searched for Amazon (I think the official name used to be Amazon Prime, but they changed it to "Prime Video"!
My Roku is about 2.5 years old, but the previous one was around 3 years old when I upgraded. I think access to prime via Roku has been available since prime started, but my memory sucks such that I will not say it was around before I got the Roku ~5.5 years ago. I doubt access to Prime would be dependent on what generation Roku you have as they are always adding and eliminating (when they are go belly up) channels via software/firmware!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Hunh? One of the benefits of Roku is it is "content provider neutral"! ... A search in Roku will let you know where you can see a movie for free (if available for free), while a Fire Stick will route you to Amazon's $2-3 rental (unless Fire Stick has changed)!

You need to have Amazon Prime to get the subscription as a benefit (I don't think you can get the channel by itself for less), but you do not need another device.
Go to the main Roku menu (cursor to the left all of the way).
Select "Streaming Channels"
Select "Search Channels"
Enter "prime", and "Prime Video" should pop up and you are good to go!

The only way I can imagine you missed this is if you searched for Amazon (I think the official name used to be Amazon Prime, but they changed it to "Prime Video"!
My Roku is about 2.5 years old, but the previous one was around 3 years old when I upgraded. I think access to prime via Roku has been available since prime started, but my memory sucks such that I will not say it was around before I got the Roku ~5.5 years ago. I doubt access to Prime would be dependent on what generation Roku you have as they are always adding and eliminating (when they are go belly up) channels via software/firmware!
You know what, I searched for an Amazon app, not Prime! So, it's probably there. Again, I'm not going to subscribe for the sake of a single series. Thanks for that though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You know what, I searched for an Amazon app, not Prime! So, it's probably there. Again, I'm not going to subscribe for the sake of a single series. Thanks for that though.
There are certainly several other really great series on Prime, but I won't start trying to entice you unless you ask.
I tried The Man in the High Castle and lost patience with it. Maybe it would have been different had I know it was based on a PKDick book!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The turn over is high because of many things. Attendance issues, drug problems, too many hours, off shift work. It is a lot of things. I would not mean to sound mean but these are relatively lower skilled folks many who don’t really want to work and jump back and forth between jobs and play the unemployment game. We are one notch above the fast food industry in many cases. Heck a lot of those places are paying $10-12 dollars.

Not wanting to work? You do realize you can't collect unemployment by quitting jobs on and off. Most of the time, you can't accrue enough unemployment to qualify for benefits by working short stints. So there's no unemployment game to be played. Most people that follow the rightwing talking points or might partake in overindulgence of Fox New watching may not understand. Those jobs just simply suck, tantamount to slave labor, with no benefits nor any protection from unions. Amazon was reportedly found to be involved in union-busting. A company like Amazon wants max profit by not paying the workers a living wage. It doesn't matter that the jobs are low skilled, Amazon needs the workers to run their company, although they are most likely working on A.I. so they can do away with workers altogether.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
There are certainly several other really great series on Prime, but I won't start trying to entice you unless you ask.
I tried The Man in the High Castle and lost patience with it. Maybe it would have been different had I know it was based on a PKDick book!
I'm sure there are other shows I'd like to see, but we have Netflix and just ditched Disney after watching everything we were interested in. Maybe when I retire... :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Not wanting to work? You do realize you can't collect unemployment by quitting jobs on and off. Most of the time, you can't accrue enough unemployment to qualify for benefits by working short stints. So there's no unemployment game to be played. Most people that follow the rightwing talking points or might partake in overindulgence of Fox New watching may not understand. Those jobs just simply suck, tantamount to slave labor, with no benefits nor any protection from unions. Amazon was reportedly found to be involved in union-busting. A company like Amazon wants max profit by not paying the workers a living wage. It doesn't matter that the jobs are low skilled, Amazon needs the workers to run their company, although they are most likely working on A.I. so they can do away with workers altogether.
You obviously did not read the previous responses. Amazon warehouse starting salary is at least $15/hr, includes benefits, and a 401K with matching. I don't know who you think "the workers" are, but Amazon is run by employees. Any idiot doing an internet search can figure all of this out. Get a life.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well I am not sure what you are saying here. I am far from an expert in the details of how unemployment works and how you get access. I just know what I see while working in this world. What the other workers say and what out HR teams say I assume have merit. I actually don’t think the news either left or right will cover this scenario fairly. If you put out a story actually documenting the real situation you would be run out of town.

I also think it is curious that somebody who starts working at $15-20 does not realize that this is a place to start and work your way up from there. I have offered folks promotions to higher roles and they actually turn them down. You see some very interesting situations and reactions from the employees that don’t fit in my realm of logic.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The show is not a whole lot like the book. The book is relatively simple and short, so the show has added a lot. Just read the book. The show arguably tells a more complete story though. The book lacks a 'third act' in many readers' opinion. Philip K lord helmet always intended to write a 2nd book in the series for closure but he hated being immersed in the Nazi mindset that he had to do to write their characters that he just left it as it was.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I tried The Man in the High Castle and lost patience with it.
Me too. Some good scenes, some episodes better than others, but not enough to hold my attention.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
You obviously did not read the previous responses. Amazon warehouse starting salary is at least $15/hr, includes benefits, and a 401K with matching. I don't know who you think "the workers" are, but Amazon is run by employees. Any idiot doing an internet search can figure all of this out. Get a life.
Amazon Deletes Job Posting For Apparent Union-Busting

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well I am not sure what you are saying here. I am far from an expert in the details of how unemployment works and how you get access. I just know what I see while working in this world. What the other workers say and what out HR teams say I assume have merit. I actually don’t think the news either left or right will cover this scenario fairly. If you put out a story actually documenting the real situation you would be run out of town.

I also think it is curious that somebody who starts working at $15-20 does not realize that this is a place to start and work your way up from there. I have offered folks promotions to higher roles and they actually turn them down. You see some very interesting situations and reactions from the employees that don’t fit in my realm of logic.

‘I'm not a robot’: Amazon workers condemn unsafe, grueling conditions at warehouse

I think you're living in the past. There isn't any work yourself up type opportunities with some of these mega-companies anymore. They work you and then replace you.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Good for Amazon. I don't like unions, and I've been a union member. Have you?
Amazon is not good for workers or working people. It's a known fact that Union workers earn more than non-union in those types of jobs. It's a shame, Amazon, which is almost a trillion-dollar company, who's CEO reportedly did not pay any taxes, is allowed to get away with treating workers like that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis