Universal Remote Controls - Which One Do You Use?

Which type of Universal Remote Control Do You Prefer?

• LCD Touch Screen

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Tactile Buttons with LCD Display

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The AP released an article today that centers on the dilemma of remote controls. Since the inception of the first remote control by Robert Adler some 50 years ago, remotes have spawned into a necessity and, quite frankly, a nuisance.

It is not uncommon to have between 5 and 8 remotes throughout the home that control various electronics equipment. Considering that many so-called "universal" remotes (at least the inexpensive ones) do not handle all of the functionality of many sophisticated devices (and just try to find one that can be programmed with any AV receiver's required functions) users are left with 3 or 4 instead of one.

We've (all) experienced this dilemma and are focused on evaluating just which consumer remotes are the best in terms of ergonomics and practicality. Previously we reviewed the MX-700 Universal Remote and are now nearing completion of our review of the new Harmony H688. The article ios worth a read for those of you who just want to commisserate with the sorry state of remote controls. With enough money you can reach remote control "nirvana" - but many who don't dedicate over $150 of their home theater budget just for a remote control get left out in the dark.

Read the AP Article...

Questions
What do you use now (whether you bought it separate or it came with an A/V processor or receiver) - and which type is your favorite style?

In addition - How many remotes (honestly) do you currently use to do ALL of your functions? (i.e. If your universsal doesn't handle 100% of every piece of equipment - add that gear's remote)

I'm just curious as I have my own answer and am working on the Harmony H688 review.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mackie

Audiophyte
I can't say enough about the MX-700. I use it to do 95% of the time to control my home theater componets, and the only time I don't is when I have to do a special tweek on a component that is rarely used. Before I had this, I would come home and my girlfriend would be looking at a blank TV screen which doesn't happen anymore. Honestly, the money I spent on the remote is the best money I spent on ANY component in my system. If the family can't use it, it's worthless regardless of cost or the quality of components.

U

Unregistered

I use one and only one remote control to control my entire system: the MX-500. I was able to learn every single function from each of my component's original remotes into the 500.

I'm considering buying the new URC-200 Automator now. Not because the mx-500 is insufficient, but because the Automator is a slight redesign that fixes most, but not all, of the minor nits I have with the 500. For example, the Automator now has separate buttons for Guide, Menu, Info, Exit - like the mx-700. They still haven't made the backlight come on with every button press, but I can live with that as it's really the only flaw I've found.

It will be interesting to read Audioholics review of the Harmony, but I'm pretty much convinced it's not for me. I don't like the fact that you MUST use the web to program it and then you are at the mercy of their code with limited ability to tweak it the way you really want it. The Home Theater Master remotes let the user set it up exactly the way they prefer.

You'd be surprised at how much customization you can do... I have a few problems, but I'm working them out with Harmony and if solved, this will prove to be a very competitive remote.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Mx-500

I simply love the MX-500, it is simple to use and it does everything it is supposed to. I didn't even have to explain to my wife how to use it. For the price I would be very suprised if anyone could do better.

K

kode3

Enthusiast
I also use the MX-500, and I must say it was hard to dish out 150 bucks for a remote. But I would never want to go back. It's great.

U

Unregistered

A handfull

I had a 1st. gen. pronto. Great "cool" factor, but sucked on function. I hated having to look at the remote to press a button. MX-700 Great, loved it, had some issues with it being able to send long ir codes for chan. (eg. 1,2ms pause,0,2ms paues,0, just for Ch. 100. I had to keep adjusting the time between the numbers for every Ch. I did. Harmony second gen. Liked it, Like the online programing, but it would get "confused" some times. I'm using the sony RM-VL1000, it works, but programming is a pain, and if you make a mistake having it learn a code, you have to start all over, you can't reprogram just one button. I'll save up and try out the new harmony H659.

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
I bought a Kameleon 8 Device (URC-9960) for $45.00; it was returned to the store by a previous customer and was sold to me at half-price. I have had it a couple of months but never really used it. The primary reason is that it's just too sensitive :eek: . The display is activated by any slight movement such as setting down a glass on the same table occupied by the remote or even the vibration generated from walking near it. When the subwoofer is active the device constantly flickers on and off. There is no sensitivity adjustment to remedy the situation. So, R.I.P. Kameleon.

On behalf of Kameleon though, there is good news: I understand that this same device sold by Radio Shack is not as sensitive and may be more acceptable to most customers.

I'm currently using 6 remote controls (4 of them frequently).

Some of the post's here (and some product reviews) prompted me to order a MX-500. I have a question about it but will post it seperately to keep the intent of this thread intact.

-George

U

Unregistered

remote lover

I just got an MX-500 from Amazon for 89.95, no-charge shipping, and it is da bomb! Just set it on the kitchen table with all of your original remotes after you found the codes for each component, and duplicate whatever functions aren't already in the remote by learning them. Then label the buttons you learned functions on, and put all your other remotes away. It even has 50 favorite channels listed on the lcd screen that you can set up with macros. This is the best; and I have the original Pronto. This is better because you can use it without looking at it, unlike Pronto.

M

Mark Duncan

Junior Audioholic
Pronto Next Gen Are awesome!

I love my ProntoProNG. I've had it for about 2 months, and it is sooo much better than the TSU-2000 that I really liked. The hard buttons for controlling the cable guides and DVR are so much better than looking at the screen, but the 16 bit color display is awesome. I have most of my CD covers scanned in, and by hitting the cover, it takes you to a page that has each song listed on that cd. You can touch the song, and it plays. Also, the New Prontos have a lot more useable screen to play with. I was able to cut down the number of pages that each device had to have substantially. Now if Philips only gives us the other 16 Megs of memory we are supposed to have, I can finish my CD collection.

Mark

U

Unregistered

juggling

I use a learning remote that came with my Onkyo receiver ... at least until lightning took out the receiver. It has only so many programmable buttons, so to really control the VCR I need its own remote in hand. The receiver remote does control the receiver, of course, and the like-branded CD and via learning the TV and some basic VCR functions.

Hoping not to complicate myself too much when getting a new receiver and DVD player from different manufacturers ... seems I'll need to get a serious learning remote :-(

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
My system is pretty simple, so the remote that came with my Hitachi 43UWX10B does the trick 95+% of the time. I never touch the DVD or DirecTV remotes, and my VCR remote (no TiVo - sigh) is used only for setting timer record and doing away with flashing "12:00" after a power outage.

It's not truly programmable/learning, but has hundreds of pre-programmed codes that happen to cover my gear. No LCD, but the buttons are easy to navigate in the dark, and the main ones can be backlit with a button press.

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
Hi.

I use 10 remote controls. It's really time to buy an universal control. Is Onkyo's CHAD remote control a good buy ?

D

dwharton

Audiophyte
Mx-600

i have used the MX-600 for almost a year now and wouldn't give it up. I got it because it is the MX-500 but with RF capability. All my components are behind cabinet doors and this allows me to control everyhting easily. The transmitter is so strong that I havn't even needed to use any of the supplied IR transmitters. I can sit in my office across the house and control volume mute whatever. This is a great remote set up.
Also i invested in the Ir clone so i enter all info through my PC.

J

jawzx

Audiophyte
One For All URC-8910

Does all my equipment, back-lit, easy macro programing, just enough learning to cover the non-included devices, upgradable, customizable, discrete codes, Durable and only $39.

U

Unregistered

Urc-8811

The URC-8811 is even cheaper and differs from the 8910 only in that it doesn't have the lcd screen. URC remotes are very customizable and can be made to do just about everything if you take the time to learn JP1 programming.

Still I think the MX-500 is about the best remote out there and I use it exclusively now.

U

Unregistered

I just bought the MX-500 and all went well until I tried to learn my JVC receiver. After 2 days of calls to JVC I finally got someone who was able to tell me why........JVC is using a RF instead of IF. Now I can go from 4 remotes to two........but not good enough.

U

Unregistered

Remote nirvana

Count me among those delighted MX-500 users. For the price, this is the best designed piece of electronic equipment I have ever owned. I have six original remotes and, like a poster above, use it exclusively 95% of the time. I only go to the originals for special tweaks. My family did not inherit the tech gene. I have programmed it so that one button turns on DVD, one button turns on TV, one button turns everything off. And I am talking about a complicated home theater system with totally separate audio and a DVI switcher for all video input/output. Even my wife can use it. Buy it, you'll like it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis