Unequal distance - Rear Surrounds

T

Truett

Enthusiast
Because of a staircase on rear wall, Right Rear Surround speaker will be recessed on wall 7'6" behind Main Listening Position, and Left Rear Surround will be recessed on wall 11'6" back.

All of the other speakers in the system will be at ideal angles, distances, and locations. Even the two Rear Height speakers will both be equal distance, on that 11'6" rear wall.

So we just have that one Right Rear Surround that is shorter distance than everything else in the system. We will be using a Trinnov processor that will correct this to the extent that it can. But I am considering shifting those two rear speakers a bit, to compromise between unequal distance and unequal angles. Could move the right shorter distance one OUT just a little on its wall, and move the longer distance one IN just a little on its wall. (I will still be able to aim the speakers directly at the listening position as we are able to mount the speakers at slight different angles behind speaker cloth no matter where we end up mounting them.)

What do you think? Should I just stick with the correct angles with the 4 foot difference, or should I cheat that short distance one OUT a little bit and that long one IN a little bit to make the distances a bit closer to each other?

Using Focal 1000 ICA6 for these Rear Surrounds, mounted 42" high.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Because of a staircase on rear wall, Right Rear Surround speaker will be recessed on wall 7'6" behind Main Listening Position, and Left Rear Surround will be recessed on wall 11'6" back.

All of the other speakers in the system will be at ideal angles, distances, and locations. Even the two Rear Height speakers will both be equal distance, on that 11'6" rear wall.

So we just have that one Right Rear Surround that is shorter distance than everything else in the system. We will be using a Trinnov processor that will correct this to the extent that it can. But I am considering shifting those two rear speakers a bit, to compromise between unequal distance and unequal angles. Could move the right shorter distance one OUT just a little on its wall, and move the longer distance one IN just a little on its wall. (I will still be able to aim the speakers directly at the listening position as we are able to mount the speakers at slight different angles behind speaker cloth no matter where we end up mounting them.)

What do you think? Should I just stick with the correct angles with the 4 foot difference, or should I cheat that short distance one OUT a little bit and that long one IN a little bit to make the distances a bit closer to each other?

Using Focal 1000 ICA6 for these Rear Surrounds, mounted 42" high.
I think you should not use rear surrounds. It sounds to me that this may be a case where a surround system is likely being installed in an unsuitable space, that would be far better served with 2.1 or 3.1. Honestly good two channel beats poorly done more channels hands down. Right now I am listening to my two channel rig and it is excellent. There is a huge upside to two channel as you can then afford much better front speakers.
I am more and more convinced over time, that there are far too many surround and Atmos systems being installed in unsuitable spaces.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think at 4 ft, the processor can compensate for it, but the difference may still result uneven sound. I had a similar situation where I had to stand mount the right rear because there was no wall immediately on that side, just a hallway (so that speaker would be ~3ft farther), and it does sound a little different.

T

Truett

Enthusiast
I think you should not use rear surrounds. It sounds to me that this may be a case where a surround system is likely being installed in an unsuitable space, that would be far better served with 2.1 or 3.1. Honestly good two channel beats poorly done more channels hands down. Right now I am listening to my two channel rig and it is excellent. There is a huge upside to two channel as you can then afford much better front speakers.
I am more and more convinced over time, that there are far too many surround and Atmos systems being installed in unsuitable spaces.
Hmm. The system is actually 9.4.12. (6 heights and 6 ceiling). Room is 27' x 25' with 19' ceilings. Fully 1/4 of wall space is recessed with a further 4' deep of absorption (fiberglass insulation) recessed behind fabric. Fully 3/4 of ceiling is recessed with 3' additional depth of absorption above ceiling fabric. Walls spaces that don't have the deep recessed absorption, and windows/doors have heavy 18' drapery floor to ceiling that will close automatically. (The heavy drapes also cover 1st reflection points) Carpeted runners on stairs and across rear overlooking balcony. Furniture is cloth. Even coffee table is fabric. Focal Sopra 3s for front left and right, and Focal Sopra Center. All other speakers are Focal 1000ICA6 and 1000ICW6. Two Perlisten D215S (behind fabric) and two D12S subs. ATI 6005 Signature amplifier, two ATI AT528 amplifiers, Trinnov32-24 processor. Sony VPL-XW7000ES projector with 124" Stewart Balon fixed screen.

Because of the massive amounts of acoustical treatment that is hidden behind fancy velvety wall and ceiling fabric and the other acoustical features, we think this massive living room will be ideal for our home theater. And the only thing that is visible when someone walks in the room, are the three front white Focal Sopra speakers, the two small white Perlisten subs, and the fixed screen. Everything else is hidden behind fabric. So most people when they see the room will just say, wow they really have nice fabric walls in this grand beautiful room. They will have no idea that there are 25 speakers, all pointing at the main listening position.

Just want to put those rear surrounds in the best locations possible. That's all.

T

Truett

Enthusiast
Could you please post photos?
Here is picture of back wall before we started construction and theater installation. When finished, the back walls will be fabric, instead of sheetrock. You can see that the right rear surround will be closer to MLP than the left rear surround.

Attachments

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
That's not a problem at all. Your processor's or AVR's room correction software can adjust for that.

Triad will color match the speakers/grills to match the paint on your walls and ceilings. Let me know if you need ant more info.

T

Truett

Enthusiast
Thanks for the help. We have decided to stick with the correct angles and let the processor correct for speaker distance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis